SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Suggestions for a Patrol rifle...Updated
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for a Patrol rifle...Updated Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

...Twenty-round magazines are also much more comfortable to carry on a duty belt than 30-rounders (assuming there’s room, of course)...

Although designed for a cell phone, a 20rd mag fits in this:

https://www.galls.com/boston-l...rbox-and-galaxy-siii

I've seen other guys use this:

https://www.policestore.com/du...pouch-prod31783.aspx

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That does bring up a good point: Think about how you're going to carry extra ammo, beyond the mag in the rifle.

A chest rig, go-bag, or bandoleer is great, when responding to major incidents. (It will also allow you to bring stuff like extra medical gear.) But you won't always want/get to sling on an extra bag every time you deploy your rifle.

Carrying a spare magazine on the rifle in something like a buttstock pouch, or on your person in something like a belt pouch, is a good idea.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Lots of good suggestions.

My dept issues rock river ARs... I carry my personally owned RRA, but I added a quad rail, light, aimpoint, sling, and foregrip.

You also will never go wrong with a colt 6920. Just add the light and optic if nothing else.

As to spare ammo... I keep a plate carrier with 3 mags, a pistol mag, torniquet, and med kid on it. Additionally I have an over the shoulder 2 mag pouch next to the rifle in case I can't get my carrier. I also keep a 20 round mag in the door pocket in case I really can't get ammo.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We have a rifle plate carrier in each car with two rifle mags and two handgun mags.

In case I can’t get to the trunk, I keep a SOG magazine sling pack in the car with me. It will hold six 30 rnd mags and there’s more pockets for handgun mags, tourniquet, med pouch, bottle of water, energy bar, etc.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not a cop but I have both a 6920 and a 6720. As noted earlier the pencil barrel is lighter. It’s only a few ounces but seems like a lot more to me. I prefer that rifle as it’s also by default not as front heavy. Swings faster. I highly doubt you will be in a sustained firefight where barrel warp would be an issue. Youd have to shoot a lot of damn ammo to make that happen.

If you have the opportunity handle both rifles side by side to see the noticeable handling difference.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

I've seen other guys use this:

https://www.policestore.com/du...pouch-prod31783.aspx

In theory, the Center Mass integrated mag pouch should work great...

I've personally seen two of them spontaneously disassemble when two different co-workers purchased them for duty use.
So, buyer beware - perhaps a generous application of Loctite 242 on all the hardware is in order prior to use?

The ITW FastMag on my rig has been going strong for several years.

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
and get a soft case to carry it in, they are nice when on aforementioned pavement-your elbows will thank you

Good point. I don’t know how often I’d tote my case along with the rifle, but it could happen.

We carreid ours in the trunk, the PD wasnt gonna spend money on racks...we didnt have cages in cars as they cost money too...

so whenever I deployed I donned my loadbearing vest with 8 extra loaded mags and took the softcase with me in case i had to prone out somewhere...I once had to form a perimeter around a blockaded subject and I was stuck in the street behind a patrol car...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

...so whenever I deployed I donned my loadbearing vest with 8 extra loaded mags and took the softcase with me in case i had to prone out somewhere...

Many of the soft cases have mag pouches, though not as practical as something you can easily carry on a shoulder.

Here's a low budget case with pouches:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...-case-with-6-pockets

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
carry a Sig 400 with many changes. ( Wilson Combat trigger group, Ergo/Hogue furniture, light, etc) We buy our own Patrol Rifles , agency supplies Winchester 64 SP 5.56. Although we have racks, I keep my rifle in the soft case with extra mags attached. Our folks carry COLTS, Rock River, Ruger, LMT and a couple of Wilson Combats.

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
Lots of excellent suggestions, thank you. I'm narrowing things down as to what I'd like. Keep the ideas for gear coming as well.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would also consider the 6720 (lightweight). If there was a 6720 OEM they would be ridiculously popular.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HERITAGE
posted Hide Post
Whatever you decided, make it your own with pistol grip, stock, sling, etc. Lots of options out there. If your department will allow it, check out a Wilson TTU Mil/LE trigger. Night and day difference compared to a standard mil-spec trigger, but by no means a light/target trigger. I also like the DD pistol grip. The upper end is smooth polymer, so nothing to stick when you thumb off the safety. Bottom part is rubber/santoprene, and the grip angle is more 1911 than Glock.

Posts: 328 | Location: MI | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Late to the party, but I second the 6720. You'll carry it/point it/stand around with it for many hours more than you'll spend doing full mag dumps. The decreased front-end weight does make a difference in terms of speedy handling.

I carry a BCM "clone" of the 6720 (lightweight hammer-forged barrel... alas, I don't think it's made in carbine-length gas anymore) with a Aimpoint T1. No complaints with any aspect.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How are you carrying your gear, belt or vest?

https://www.brownells.com/shoo...prod31783.aspx?dym=y

I like mine. It takes a second to get used to, but for a duty belt, it works well.
Blade-Tech makes a great one too. I think mine a Blade Tech, I was kinda limited in choices because of G-21 mags. Nylon has a bunch of options too. The TACO set-ups are nice, durable and work well.

If you're wearing stuff on your vest, Molly vest set-ups and your options are almost endless.
The standard vests, with the 2 or 4 pockets, think about having a mag pouch sewn on the vest.

Then there's "go bag" or "bail out bag" set ups...
5-11 and US Peacekeeper make some good stuff. Mags, first aid kit extra cuffs & stuff...

https://www.amazon.com/US-Peac...s=active+shooter+bag

It all depends on what, where and how much you want to do.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's talk red dots & lights;
Lights-
Surefire and Stinger puts out a great and durable product. You really can't go wrong with them. I have an inforce that I'm really liking. Haley stragitic has a pretty good Christmas sale on them when the season comes.

https://www.haleystrategic.com...p-wmlx-inforce-black

Indoor / outdoor situations like we get into, I'm of the "brighter is better" mindset.
I don't know what your budget is, but the classified section here, you can run across some good deals if you look and have some patience. Same goes for red dots!

Red dots-
Look before you leap! You can easily waste money when it comes to red dots. For example, the Aimpoint Comp M4 is a phenomenal red dot, and I love mine! About $750-800 new. But about 1/3 of that price is for something you're not going to use. About 1/3 of the system settings are for night vision, how much do we use night vision goggles? About 0% of the time. The Aimpoint Pro is about $400, and only has red dot setting, not night vision.
EOTech is the same way. Some of their products have NVG settings that we just won't use.
The Sig Romeo series are pretty good and durable. Price point isn't half bad either.
Vortex, same thing.
If you're going to spend money, my suggestion is spend money on a smaller, lighter optic. (Aimpoint H-1, Micro...)
Next time you run up to A/5 range, talk to Mike Lipke, he's got a half dozen or so red dots in the back mounted on stuff so you can actually get a feel for them.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
The Aimpoint Pro is about $400, and only has red dot setting, not night vision...

If you're going to spend money, my suggestion is spend money on a smaller, lighter optic. (Aimpoint H-1, Micro...)

Agreed.

All my defensive ARs have either PROs or H1s.

PROs are the best all-around option (price/features/quality/etc.).

H1 Micros are great when purposely going for a lighter weight build, provided you're willing to spend the extra money over a PRO.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
Narrowed down the optic and chose the Aimpoint T-1 (T-1 was cheaper than the H-1). I am considering getting the LaRue mount for it, but since it will be my only rifle (for now), the supplied mount should give my absolute co-witness on the rifle and should be fine. I have looked at quite a few weapon lights and am considering the Streamlight TLR-1 long gun kit and Haley Strategic WMLX light. For mags, I'll stick with Pmags, probably the gen 2's. The rifle has yet to be determined, but I'll narrow it down soon. So many options and configurations to choose from makes it difficult.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Check out Geissele mounts, T-1 for $47.50 shipped from their website.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Check out Geissele mounts, T-1 for $47.50 shipped from their website.

Is there a coupon code? The T-1 mount is $95 currently.

The Working Police.....

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sale ended at midnight.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post