SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Suggestions for a Patrol rifle...Updated
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for a Patrol rifle...Updated Login/Join 
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted
I just completed the departmental Carbine Operator course and have decided to purchase a rifle. Since this is my first rifle, I thought I'd ask the members here what you'd recommend. Not sure how much I'm willing to spend, but I do subscribe by the buy quality and deal with it. One particular brand I'm looking at is DS Arms. They have a free replacement policy if it's ever stolen or lost. Department ammo is Winchester powerpoint 64 gr 5.56. The simple requirements are that the rifle must have fixed sight availability, mostly black, 5.56 caliber, 1 in 7 to 1 in 9 twist rate, sling (2 point seems to be the choice of most), 20 or 30 round mags and practice ammo. Any manufacturers I should steer clear of or look at? What type of coatings are best (Think Chicago)? Range guys recommend Qmaxx Black Diamond for cleaning, but otherwise won't make recommendations on anything else. Thanks in advance.

Update:

Purchased a DS Arms ZM4 model rifle yesterday. It has the Nickel boron treated BCG and charging handle, M-Lok rail system, Magpul BUIS sights and attached an Nforce 800 lumen light. The sling is a Magpul MS4 two-point sling. The rifle was spec'd out for CPD so no issues with the department. I see a small issue near the trigger guard though. The trigger guard is not flush with the lower receiver and I'm wondering if I should say something, since it will rub my middle finger knuckle raw after an extended range session. I also got 5 Magpul Gen2 magazines. The only other upgrade I think might be a Radial Raptor SL charging handle. That charging handle doesn't appear that it will snag on my gear, but at $75 it's a bit steep for a charging handle. What do you guys think? Anything else to consider? I'm going to clean it down and head to the range this week and I'll report on how it shoots then.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Klusk2,

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
We have been using the Sig M400 rifle for several years now and like them . Other departments in my area also changed over to them.
They come standard with a lot of extras like controls on both sides for left or right hand shooters. Great prices for LAW enforcement.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-m400-pro.html

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

Not a cop, but...yep.

I've owned mine for several years now and honestly cannot find anything that I don't like about the rifle.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Colt LE6920-R Trooper Semi-Automatic 223

Available in the mid-$800s. Just bought one myself, just because it's election season.

Add sights, RDS, and ammo.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Colt 6920

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Colt 6920 OEM1 or OEM2.
Add furniture of choice.
Add iron sights.
Add red dot sight.
Add weapon light.
Slip2000 products for clean/lube.

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g4tx:
A Colt 6920 OEM1 or OEM2.
Add furniture of choice.
Add red dot sight.
Add weapon light.
Slip2000 products for clean/lube.
You are ready to leave the monastery, Grasshopper.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
When they specify fixed sight availability, do they mean with a forged Front Sight Base type front sight, or is a rail mounted front sight ok?

I generally eschew the Colt 6920 for many purposes but it is a good and cost effective option for a patrol rifle.

What is your budget? Are you stuck with irons only or can you also mount optics?

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Not a cop but the Colt 6920 is the gold standard for the cops around here.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Colt gets a lot of departmental business because that's what the larger le suppliers push. Unless you specify and they are willing to secure, they never feature anything but colt.

I'd stay away from the cheaper brands and stay with the top quality. Rock River, Sig, Daniel Defense. But the bottom line is what the dept. specifies.

We use Colt. Their pricing has gotten a lot more in line with the other top brands so it's a safe bet.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I love my SIG M-400, particularly the ambi mag release, and the stock trigger is pretty good. I also like the fact that the receiver is milled for a QD sling swivel. I also have a Rock River, but the SIG is somewhat nicer.

I'm not a cop, but you can't go wrong with any of the decent manufacturers; SIG, Colt, Daniel Defense, Rock River, Smith & Wesson M&P series, and the higher level FN.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
When they specify fixed sight availability, do they mean with a forged Front Sight Base type front sight, or is a rail mounted front sight ok?

I generally eschew the Colt 6920 for many purposes but it is a good and cost effective option for a patrol rifle.

What is your budget? Are you stuck with irons only or can you also mount optics?

It doesn't have to be fixed irons as far as I know. It does have to be department zeroed by a qualified range instructor though.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to start looking for the Colt LE6920. I'll add a light and an optic as funds permit. It's better to save up and buy what will suit me best than buy multiple items I won't end up using.

The Working Police.....

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My job doesn't involve a patrol rifle any more, but my personal rifle at home is a 6920. The only things I have on it currently is a Magpul MOE handguard with a small section of rail attached to it, a snap loop at the rear of the hand guard, and a sling adapter on the receiver where it meets the buffer tube. I run a 2 point sling with a QD swivel that attaches to the receiver adapter. MOE flip up rear sight. A Surefire 300U is currently on the rail. It's all (actually more) the light that I need for my purposes and adds very little weight. I much prefer this set up to my old patrol rifle. It's lighter, faster, and handier.

For a patrol rifle, keep it light, simple, and use only well tested and reliable components. I've got a Romeo red dot on my gun, and it works perfectly well, but I wouldn't run that sight on a patrol rifle that gets subjected to the rough treatment of living in and out of a patrol car. Aimpoint is really your only option there.

Our issue guns were 16 inch Bushmasters with carry handles and the old style Surefire light forend. I hated that forend. It was bulky, heavy, ate batteries, and didn't put out near the light that a light that size should. It was generations out of date when we got them.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's tough to beat a LE6920 with an Aimpoint PRO for a basic, no-frills patrol rifle.

You can go with a more customized patrol rifle once you've gotten some more rifle experience under your belt, if you so choose.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
My job doesn't involve a patrol rifle any more, but my personal rifle at home is a 6920. The only things I have on it currently is a Magpul MOE handguard with a small section of rail attached to it, a snap loop at the rear of the hand guard, and a sling adapter on the receiver where it meets the buffer tube. I run a 2 point sling with a QD swivel that attaches to the receiver adapter. MOE flip up rear sight. A Surefire 300U is currently on the rail. It's all (actually more) the light that I need for my purposes and adds very little weight. I much prefer this set up to my old patrol rifle. It's lighter, faster, and handier.

For a patrol rifle, keep it light, simple, and use only well tested and reliable components. I've got a Romeo red dot on my gun, and it works perfectly well, but I wouldn't run that sight on a patrol rifle that gets subjected to the rough treatment of living in and out of a patrol car. Aimpoint is really your only option there.

Our issue guns were 16 inch Bushmasters with carry handles and the old style Surefire light forend. I hated that forend. It was bulky, heavy, ate batteries, and didn't put out near the light that a light that size should. It was generations out of date when we got them.

Looking at the Colt LE6920 Magpul version rifle. Magpul MOE hand guard, rear Buis, and stock. https://www.gtdist.com/colt-le...agpul-furniture.html

The Working Police.....

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klusk2:
It does have to be department zeroed by a qualified range instructor though.

Interesting policy. Any competent instructor should know that sights—especially irons—should be zeroed or at least confirmed by the shooter. That can be a frustrating process, but it really is not a good idea to avoid going to the trouble.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klusk2:

Looking at the Colt LE6920 Magpul version rifle. Magpul MOE hand guard, rear Buis, and stock. https://www.gtdist.com/colt-le...agpul-furniture.html

Solid setup and starting point.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May consider this as well. I haven't purchased from this dealer myself, so ask questions before buying. Says it comes with Quad Rail for $799.00. Appears to be in stock.

https://gunprime.com/product/c...-quad-rail-le6920-r/

If anyone picks one up please share your review...

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post