SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    CZ 457 Varmint model
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 457 Varmint model Login/Join 
Picture of got2hav1
posted
I recently picked up another CZ457. Varmint model in .22 magnum. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet , trying to wade through the pollen. It's piling up like yellow snow in NC right now. The 457 models can accept caliber changes by buying a barrel kit from CZ. I have a .22 LR barrel ordered and should be here pretty soon. Wood is pretty good and shows better in person. What do you think?

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Looks very nice. With those caliber changes, is the 17 HMR an option? Depending on use, a great midlin pest control round.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Sourdough, 17HMR is a caliber that is available, but honestly this is going to be a paper puncher for the most part, so .22LR was the round of choice. I would love to shoot the 17HMR though. Bet it would be a fun round.

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
i just lost a bidding war on GB for that exact model....

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Very fine rifle, 22 mag. for me takes it out to 125 yards on woodchucks and coyotes. Always felt the 22 mag. was an under appreciate round.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1530 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Stylish little rifle you got there. I like its stippeling more than checkering. The barrel looks pleanty rigid. Little figure to its wood and the butt pad is rubber. Very nice indeed. A coyote zapper within yardage.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. My .22LR 455 Varmint has been one heck of a shooter over the years.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about the 457 model, but it sure looks good!

I like CZ rimfires, especially the 452 model. I purchased several when they were still available, including a 452 Varmint chambered for .22LR. Tack driver!

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ coming tomorrow, a 527 in 7.62x39. For those not familiar, it’s a compact rifle, bolt, with an 18.5” barrel. It even has a ‘set trigger’.

I was looking for one & the other bidders dropped off at a somewhat reasonable price.

My only other CZ bolt is a 557 in 6.5 Swede.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 457 American about 6 months ago, an awesome rifle with a great trigger right out of the box. I would love to buy a Varmint in 22WMR at some point. Enjoy & be sure to let us know how it shoots.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle and a sweet shooter as well. I'm going to look into CZ's offerings in a left handed bolt action.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Very nice rifle and a sweet shooter as well. I'm going to look into CZ's offerings in a left handed bolt action.

I briefly consider the Varmint MTR but I shoot long guns lefty , the MTR stock has a right hand palm swell grip so I went with the standard Varmint version instead. I know they once offered LH rifles so maybe you can find one.

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
you should sell/trade that 22 mag to me! lol

posted Hide Post
CZ might get a few sales off this thread.. That is a really beautiful gun!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:

I'll sell you the .22mag barrel, but I need the gun !!!

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:

I'll sell you the .22mag barrel, but I need the gun !!!

Thanks but I need the rest of the rifle as well,

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
That is a nice rifle!

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a Fly trigger in mine and LOVE it. YoDave trigger kit is nice also.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Well, I had a short test session with the Varmint today before the rain forced me to quit. I did the trigger adjustment procedure and despite several attempts the best I could get out of this particular rifle was 2 lbs 10 oz. Looks like if I want anything lighter I will have to do a spring change. Anyway on the positive side after getting it sighted in I was able to get a 4 shot group of 5/8" outside to outside using Hornaday V max .22 magnum. That feels promising. I was only shooting at 30 yds and using a make shift front rest and no rear bag. So I think with a real bench and rest she should shoot well. Can't wait for my .22 LR barrel to get here so I can try it out too!

posted Hide Post
I have a number of these CZ's. And I have never gotten great accuracy on the .22winmag versions both 452 and 457 (I really have those for pests anyway so mostly I don't care). On the other hand the .22lr 457's I have have been stunning.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post