SIGforum
Older Hk SP5k

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/2340063574

October 07, 2020, 09:22 PM
leonidas211
Older Hk SP5k
The model I am taking about is sans paddle release and three lug barrel.

Can these features be added?

Anyone own one? I don’t want to end up like Marco (die hard reference)

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member
October 08, 2020, 08:51 AM
CQB60
Check out TPM outfitters. They can rebarrel & properly headspace a three lug barrel on a SP5K.

October 08, 2020, 09:57 AM
leonidas211
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Check out TPM outfitters. They can rebarrel & properly headspace a three lug barrel on a SP5K.

I love this place.

I just spoke to them. GREAT guys, exactly what I need. Thank you.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member
October 08, 2020, 04:05 PM
oddball
For a drop in paddle release, HK Parts have them.
https://hkparts.net/product/hk...e-kit-usa-p18192.htm

Problem is if one has the late model SP5Ks, I think made after 2018, they put in an extra block in the magwell to prevent the drop in, requiring a bit of surgery.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
October 08, 2020, 05:26 PM
jeeperxd
The BK serial number has the block in it, All older models do not have this. It can be removed but you will void the lifetime warranty. I know this because i have a BK and spoke to HK.
October 08, 2020, 07:21 PM
JoshNC
I would personally send it to TSC over TPM. TSC and Terry Dyer are the premier HK smiths. TPM actually charges more than TSC. If you want a 3-lug barrel, you’ll want to buy a B&T MP5K-N barrel.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald
October 08, 2020, 08:24 PM
Dwill104
quote:
Originally posted by jeeperxd:
The BK serial number has the block in it, All older models do not have this. It can be removed but you will void the lifetime warranty. I know this because i have a BK and spoke to HK.

If you’re replacing the barrel, that will likely void the warranty anyway, regardless of what you do with the paddle mag release block.
October 09, 2020, 07:59 AM
jeeperxd
Why not get the SP5K PDW which has all the things
you are looking for. You will have a factory built gun.
October 09, 2020, 06:17 PM
Dwill104
quote:
Originally posted by jeeperxd:
Why not get the SP5K PDW which has all the things
you are looking for. You will have a factory built gun.

One reason might be is that they are currently almost impossible to find, and the few that are on GB are selling for $4500 to $5000, and more.
October 09, 2020, 11:40 PM
Akula
I remember reading a thread on HK Pro back around the 2006 timeframe where an individual had a SP89 and contacted HK to see if they would rebarrel it with a three lug, HK Navy barrel. HK at the time had a contract overrun of these barrels. He was able to purchase the barrel and have it installed by HK for $600! I remember this very well because I have a SP89 and wanted to do the same thing but never got around to it.

It might be good to contact HK and see if they would do the same now since they are selling the SP5K. In my case I SBR'd my SP89 some years ago and rebarreled it with an RCM barrel. I now have a B&T barrel in my possession and might swap my RCM barrel with the B&T or see if I can get one of the HK SP5K barrels to make it all HK.
October 10, 2020, 02:51 PM
JoshNC
quote:
Originally posted by Akula:
I remember reading a thread on HK Pro back around the 2006 timeframe where an individual had a SP89 and contacted HK to see if they would rebarrel it with a three lug, HK Navy barrel. HK at the time had a contract overrun of these barrels. He was able to purchase the barrel and have it installed by HK for $600! I remember this very well because I have a SP89 and wanted to do the same thing but never got around to it.

It might be good to contact HK and see if they would do the same now since they are selling the SP5K. In my case I SBR'd my SP89 some years ago and rebarreled it with an RCM barrel. I now have a B&T barrel in my possession and might swap my RCM barrel with the B&T or see if I can get one of the HK SP5K barrels to make it all HK.

My SP89 was rebarreled with a factory K-N barrel by HK at their Georgia service center back around ‘08. Phil Flack had it done for me. It cost $550 iirc. They would only work on an unmodified SP89 and would not sell the barrel separately without installing it. Phil told me he believed I got the last barrel HK had.

You could try contacting HK, but I doubt they will rebarrel for you.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald