SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any interest in the Aimpoint Comp M5?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any interest in the Aimpoint Comp M5? Login/Join 
With bad intent
posted
I had no interest until I saw the size comparison between the M4, M5 and T2. The biggest drawback for me is the price. Not considering price, how much for reliability can we expect out of the M5 over the T2? I have to imagine the M series was built for durabilty. I've seen the Micros take a fair amount of abuse so I would think it would be a pretty small gap if any in that dept.

Thoughts?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
What's the price? Anything more than the current crop is too much. I understand the more available AAA battery, but they took the Micro size (which is the great selling point) and made it more bulky. Nah, I'll stick with the old guard.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I agree that its an improvement over the M4 assuming its equally reliable. Just not sure how it will compete against the Micro line. I'm sure they are targeted at different groups but the internet wants to know.

MSRP on the MR is 968.00
MSRP on the M5 is 1068.00

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I'm in the PRO camp for the more affordable spectrum, and the M4S for the ultimate "cool guy" carbine.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I was hoping for a bigger window in a more streamlined design, like the MRO. Yeah, I know we saw teasers of it before.

I like the PRO sight a lot, it's just big and heavy. I have an H1 and it's nice and compact, streamlined, but the 20mm tube feels tight, and the lower 1/3 mount isn't nearly as nice as the 30mm sights.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me, it's a mission specific piece of equipment made for a specific user with specific requirements. I've never looked at my T-1 and said "I'd like a slightly heavier AAA version". Then again, I don't take my personal optics downrange and have to rely on local logistics. I already own several aim points (T-1, COMP M-3, PRO) that have worked fine for years and don't need replacing. Now if they came out with a AA PRO or a CR123 powered optic I might be interested. The CR123 because then I only have to carry one battery type for the optic and the light. The AA PRO because then I would have an inexpensive quality optic using an inexpensive battery.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
To me, it's a mission specific piece of equipment made for a specific user with specific requirements. I've never looked at my T-1 and said "I'd like a slightly heavier AAA version". Then again, I don't take my personal optics downrange and have to rely on local logistics. I already own several aim points (T-1, COMP M-3, PRO) that have worked fine for years and don't need replacing. Now if they came out with a AA PRO or a CR123 powered optic I might be interested. The CR123 because then I only have to carry one battery type for the optic and the light. The AA PRO because then I would have an inexpensive quality optic using an inexpensive battery.

I agree. The Micro's main benefit are their small size (also, their newest gen glass makes them ever so slightly clearer than the CompM4...). AAA battery compatibility is not a major advantage, but if an agency requested it, then there is likely some need for it.

I also agree one key updates they could made to the PRO/ACO is better battery compatibility. Yeah, I get it. The battery lasts years, who cares? I do. I'd rather not have to deal with yet another battery, especially one that has long fallen out of popular use (I used to have a few point and shoot 35mm film cameras which specced this battery side. Used to). I'd also not have to deal with too many calibers, unlike someone I know who already has over 50 calibers and wants more. Different picks for different folks, I suppose.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I understand the AA battery for overseas and places where the other batteries may be difficult to obtain, but for here in the US I see no need.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I understand the AA battery for overseas and places where the other batteries may be difficult to obtain, but for here in the US I see no need.

No problem obtaining most batteries overseas...but seriously: is anyone here going to buy a rifle and carry it overseas, walk into a corner store when their optic runs low and look for a battery?

If you're carrying your rifle overseas, chances are high that A) it's been issued to you; B) you didn't get to choose your rifle or optics; and C) the organization which issued your rifle has a supply chain that includes batteries.

Aside from that, if you have a good optic like aimpoint, batteries become a non-issue.

Or you could do like I do and take your batteries with you.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

No problem obtaining most batteries overseas...but seriously: is anyone here going to buy a rifle and carry it overseas, walk into a corner store when their optic runs low and look for a battery?

If you're carrying your rifle overseas, chances are high that A) it's been issued to you; B) you didn't get to choose your rifle or optics; and C) the organization which issued your rifle has a supply chain that includes batteries.

Aside from that, if you have a good optic like aimpoint, batteries become a non-issue.

Or you could do like I do and take your batteries with you.

The COMP M5 was allegedly speced by DSS. Soldier System daily had some info on it.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the only thing it has to offer over the current crop of Aimpoints I use is the different battery, not interested.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Supply chain support...is great...when it works.

AAs and AAAs are everywhere because they power everything. Optics batteries, not so much.

Yeah yeah I know, internet and grocery stores stateside...until you're in the boonies and your only immediate resupply is the Shell station. Yeah, yeah, I know, we all carry spares...until you leave 'em at the house...or they got wet...or you left 'em in your range bag too long...

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't see the point, even for a very niche DSS spec. Just how long does an agent get deployed to a location? Unless it is more than 3 years...they can just have an AP micro and leave it on for their whole time overseas with plenty of time left over. Take 1 spare just in case. Non-issue, no local resupply ever needed.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post