SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    are their people that would build you the rifle you want ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

are their people that would build you the rifle you want ? Login/Join 
posted
Is it possible ?
to "call the Man" when you know what you want
and then he charges you labor and parts to put the thing together.

but he has the know how to use the quality parts
it would require.

example:

Hi Dave this is butch,
can you send me an estimate for a Colt upper and lower with a 14 inch barrel , with a 3mm A.C.O.G.
my maximum is $6000.00 o.t.d.
thanks.

do those guys exist?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Me. But I only do that on M14’s/M1A’s.

I build what the customer wants.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5394 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there are thousands of people that could do it. Putting an AR together is pretty simple. The bigger pain is sourcing and shipping all the parts. especially now.

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You mean a gunsmith?

Or a local shade-tree-bob type?

ADCO comes to mind for assembly, but they're far too busy and too expensive for slapping something as simple as an AR together. You could probably pay them to do it, but unless there's some custom aspect to the build you'd invest a lot of time and money into something that otherwise wouldn't cost that much.

My shop still does assembly. I think it might be as little as $50 for a complete assembly and headspace check, usually less than one week turn around (if you catch us on the right day, you might get it back on the same day).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LDD,

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Copper Custom Armament

https://coppercustom.com

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quiet observer
posted Hide Post
Tony for an M14. I have a local guy for bolt guns.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 985 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah.

If you're looking for a decent AR platform, Try DS Arms.

https://www.dsarms.com/

Prices are reasonable, excellent service and they stand behind their product!
And in Barrington Ill.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted this response in another discussion but in the day I thought the DSA 58 was the bees knees it was one of three .308s I was going to own (Along with a SA M1A, and a CETME)

I had a couple of friends I worked with on the PD who had them and we tried to melt the barrels on numerous range trips and they never missed a beat.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Well, it is how I get my rifles except: I design, I buy, I build, I test and then I shoot it.

I don't build for others (not FFL) but any gunsmith can do it.

If you do it all except build then that is kind of odd since IF you actually know all the parts, how they work, etc then I would imagine you could build it too.

Otherwise let the gunsmith do ALL that work with only your end goal requirements.
Don't tell him what to use and how to build it.

Posts: 22888 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
There are many small shops that will help you select and build parts to your specifications.

As mentioned, an individual with the skill but without an FFL is not legally allowed to assemble your gun for you. An individual is allowed to sell you one of their guns from their collection, which may fit your needs explicitly, and the ATF has no way to tell if a gun you've only had a day before selling was because you're engaged in business or any other legal reason. If there's a trail of messages discussing the illegal aspect of building/smithing without a license they can likely prove intent, but otherwise getting help isn't illegal.

If you have specific needs and want help putting together a suitable build list I can help you, I have a few templates in google sheets that I've used to help collaborate on getting a build list together for friends.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with common points above -- many 'smiths can build a great AR15, and parts are currently hard to find.

I let my gunsmith build my rifles. I consult with him on components, for those items I'm not familiar with. I purchase the major components, then drop them off with the 'smith. I often let him source minor components -- springs, pins, and such. Components I buy include:
- Receiver set
- Barrel
- Rail
- BCG
- Trigger
- Buttstock
Which makes his job pretty easy. And reasonably priced, too.

If you really know what AR15 you want to build and how it will be used, then you'll know (more or less) which models of the above components will be included in the build. If you have not yet attained the experience/knowledge of such components, it may be best to purchase an assembled rifle from your favorite manufacturer, or at least an assembled upper and lower. Many AR15 builders have multiple models of assembled AR15 to choose from -- based on options such as barrels, rails, and buttstocks.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turns out I am that guy. Works out well since I like building ARs more than I like owning them.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Someone with a lot of experience with ARs including building their own, who would be willing to build one for you, with compensation? People have been doing that with PCs forever I figured people would do that with ARs too.

But no, I have yet to find such a person. Guy I thought I knew decently well who likes to build his own ARs, I offered to pay him to build one for me. I did this shortly after I learned he'd gotten laid off from his job. He told me it was too much trouble and not worth his time.

I have no idea. This was years ago. Even just coming over my place and helping turn a wrench.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I've lost track of how many builds were the 'help me build my AR' friend/relative, mostly because I had the tools and experience. All were good barrels, triggers and the rest were whatever flavor was desired. Not a single stinker in the bunch, with some really accurate rifles. I turn away most requests now, they must be present and participate or not gonna fly.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started with factory AR's, learned to modify them and gradually obtained all the necessary tools. Since I'm left handed I started with Stag Lefties, but this year I changed to normal AR's because of parts availability. It's really pretty easy to build them with a couple caveats:

- In addition to the AR tools and fixtures, you need proper torque wrenches, and a bench mounted vice.
- Tools like the Magpul Bev Block or Geissele reaction rod make muzzle device work a lot simpler than using barrel clamps (never let the receiver take the torque of muzzle device or you risk twisting the barrel and damaging the timing pin slot.
- I still use clamshell upper jigs for barrel nut work but some people use the above tools.
- I prefer pinned gas blocks and not just using set screws. If you want this too you need to make sure you buy a barrel with a gas block that is pre-fit and pre-drilled for the pin. Or buy it from a shop that can do that for you before shipping it. Otherwise you will need someone with the right fixtures and a mill to do it.
- Same goes for a fixed front sight base with taper pins.
- Get Aeroshell moly lube for the barrel threads.
- Use best castle nut wrench - I like the Magpul one - and hold it in place on the nut with one hand while tightening with the other. Use a torque wrench too. It is really easy to slip and damage the nut or buffer tube.

It is great to get exactly what you want, with the ability to experiment a bit with some things. I used to have two factory AR's and a box of takeoff parts. Now I put them back to stock, and used all the custom parts I had acquired as part of my builds. I don't use lower parts kits. I use my choice of trigger group, takedown pins, ambi selector, endplate, mag release button, ambi mag release, and just but a few of the missing parts from a local shop's parts bins.

I would consider building for a friend, or with them standing there to see how it works. Local shop nearby me will do it for customers too. Not sure how much the fee is but it's not bad. If you buy the parts from him the build might be free. Seriously it only takes an hour or so if you know what you are doing.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://retroarmsworks.com/
1/2 the price of ADCO and usually a one day turnaround.
Captain Thomas is very popular on the AR 15 site.

Posts: 92 | Location: NM | Registered: May 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
For a first time going in blind building an all Rock River lower, I assembled a bare lower and all RRA parts and added a Geisle match trigger. Then put on a WOA NM upper. Great rifle.

For good old boy gunsmiths locally, they have become few around here. I currently know only one locally. For a good Model 70, I would check out here https://pre64win.com/

I have a 721 in 280 barreled by one of the best gunsmiths ever, Larry Brace who lived about a mile from me. I also have two recheckered Model 70 stocks Larry did as one of the last work he ever performed. I miss him and the other good old boys.

Currently I am changing a RRA NM A2 upper into an A4 upper by swapping all the parts with a few changes like a new CMP handguard.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zero1911:
https://retroarmsworks.com/
1/2 the price of ADCO and usually a one day turnaround.
Captain Thomas is very popular on the AR 15 site.

John Thomas does fantastic work. And I can vouch for both the quality and the speed.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks folks

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might try giving https://charliescustomclones.com a call.

Posts: 36 | Registered: August 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post