SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rear Bags - What do You Like?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rear Bags - What do You Like? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Following this post:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...600049024#7600049024

The topic of rear bags came up. I definitely think it would have helped, had I thought about it prior to getting to the range & didn't think about it while I was there.

What do we like/dislike for rear bags, with a front bipod, from a bench (not sure when/where I'd do any prone shooting).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I have a few and find myself using the Red Tac rear bag the most often. Just ends up being the right size and is easy to squeeze for adjustments. I typically use it for shooting a semi-auto rifle or bolt gun from a bench or prone.

https://www.triadtactical.com/...c-Gear-Rear-Bag.html

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Str8 Laced

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I use a front and rear sand bags when sighting in a rifle, it helps making everything stable. Once sighted in I use just the front bag if on bench. Most of my shooting is offhand with whatever support I can get, if any. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Also to add, what, if any, interference will the rear sling stud cause to a rear bag?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Str8 Laced

I have several rear bags and my favorite so far is the regular TAB Gear bag that is approximately the same shape (except it is basically a flat pouch instead of having defined sides).

I see they also make a rear bag that is exactly the same shape as the Str8 Laced, but without the Paracord.

What is the benefit of the Paracord? (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually interested. I can imagine some things but I'm not sure how they would work in practice.)

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Also to add, what, if any, interference will the rear sling stud cause to a rear bag?

If you're aware of it when you place the bag, not much.

If you move the bag forward and back under the angled bottom edge of the buttstock to adjust elevation you can get the bag hung up on the sling stud.

If it's just the stud it isn't bad, with a sling and sling swivel attached it can be more troublesome.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Str8 Laced

^^^this^^^^

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Str8 Laced

I have several rear bags and my favorite so far is the regular TAB Gear bag that is approximately the same shape (except it is basically a flat pouch instead of having defined sides).

I see they also make a rear bag that is exactly the same shape as the Str8 Laced, but without the Paracord.

What is the benefit of the Paracord? (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually interested. I can imagine some things but I'm not sure how they would work in practice.)

I think the intended purpose is to cinch it up to create a taller bag, rather than having to squeeze it so much.

I've found many other uses for it during matches though, to secure it to various things - tripod, rifle barrel, etc etc.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bag preference often depends on use. From a bench or very flat ground, a smaller bag such as the FTW can work well. If one shoots from less structured positions, a little larger bag works better -- such as Str8laced or Wiebad Tac Pad.

I generally have all three of these bags with me. I shoot more with the Weibad than the other two.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
An older Crown Royal bag filled about 3/4 with rice.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:

Those don't work so well in the rain. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
I have a few and find myself using the Red Tac rear bag the most often. Just ends up being the right size and is easy to squeeze for adjustments. I typically use it for shooting a semi-auto rifle or bolt gun from a bench or prone.

https://www.triadtactical.com/...c-Gear-Rear-Bag.html

If only shooting from a bench, this or the larger/heavier version is what I would use depending on the height of your bi-pod.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I have a GI sock (new, never worn) filled with small plastic beads. Works well on a range.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
offgrid makes a valid point -- shooting from a bench, where you don't hump gear all over the field on your back, the heavier sand-filled bags may be a better option than the lighter weight poly pellet filled bags.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
that red tac bag is pretty small. I like something a bit bigger myself. Not huge, but slightly bigger than that.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I have two socks filled with the material from an earlier bag that split. One is fat the other is slim.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sure it does...it's called "lunch"! Lol

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sure it does...it's called "lunch"! Lol

Ewwwwwwwwwwww....

posted Hide Post
Flied lice? It is fried rice, you plick.