SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rear Bags - What do You Like?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rear Bags - What do You Like? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Ok, now that this thread has gone completely awry, I thought I would throw my two cents in.

The OP did specify shooting from a bench and said not from prone (for now.)

In the other thread I posted a link to some nice rear rabbit or bunny (not the same) eared bags.

I think that something like this one would be appropriate for the rifle with a sharp comb and a sling swivel stud.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/sh...-bags-prod25838.aspx

I would fill it with either play sand or better yet heavy sand. The heavy sand will help it stay in place.

I'm also partial to this one:
http://www.sinclairintl.com/sh...-bags-prod36318.aspx

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
I would fill it with either play sand or better yet heavy sand. The heavy sand will help it stay in place.

The old not-eco-friendly fill was size 12 lead shot.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That certainly works also, but I'm partial to heavy sand. It allows me to shape the ear a little better and lead should be jacketed but not in leather.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I agree, heavy sand is a better option.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
So, are the bunny or rabbit ears preferable for the setup I have? Or is it more of a personal preference type situation?

Also, in the even you need more height than the bag provides, what is your method for raising the bag? Additional flat bags underneath?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're going to only shoot from a bench or if I can rope you into coming to shoot an F-class match at 300 yards, the bunny (short) or rabbit (long) eared bags work really well for that. If you need to crank up the back, you can put a piece of wood underneath but with the elevation range of the bipod, that should not be an issue on the bench. We sometimes have to do that when shooting prone because there are some weird shooting points.

The bags that the other guys were talking about are excellent for shooting from position and moving around a lot. I would not want to drag around my rear bag filled with sand, let alone heavy sand.

BTW the next 300 yard match is mid-May; this weekend is a 600 yard match.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
If you're going to only shoot from a bench or if I can rope you into coming to shoot an F-class match at 300 yards, the bunny (short) or rabbit (long) eared bags work really well for that. If you need to crank up the back, you can put a piece of wood underneath but with the elevation range of the bipod, that should not be an issue on the bench. We sometimes have to do that when shooting prone because there are some weird shooting points.

The bags that the other guys were talking about are excellent for shooting from position and moving around a lot. I would not want to drag around my rear bag filled with sand, let alone heavy sand.

BTW the next 300 yard match is mid-May; this weekend is a 600 yard match.

It's tempting. May need to get to the 200 yd range near my house (Thunder on 1314), to see how it does at 200.
Also not sure how well the off-the-shelf Winchester Silvertips would be for 300yd precision shooting, but still sounds like a fun day, based off the 1,000yd match I spectated at a few years ago.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

It's tempting. May need to get to the 200 yd range near my house (Thunder on 1314), to see how it does at 200.
Also not sure how well the off-the-shelf Winchester Silvertips would be for 300yd precision shooting, but still sounds like a fun day, based off the 1,000yd match I spectated at a few years ago.

You don't have to win the first time you come out, just do it to learn the ropes and get on target and have fun. A 300 yard match is just plain fun, no pressure. Factory ammo will not be stellar for the inch-and-a-half X-ring, but you should be able to stay in the black with no issues.