SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Red dot riser question for Rock River Arms LAR-15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red dot riser question for Rock River Arms LAR-15 Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
Simply put, what works best for a red dot with this type of a iron rear sight? For reference, I have a standard A2 front sight and have tried directly mounting the red dot but that didn’t work with my rear sight. Would it be best to simply remove the entire rear sight and put on a Magpul flip up rear sight (and if so what height/size riser would I need). I hoping that there is an option where I could keep the rear sight and still use a red dot.

Thanks!

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
I would do this:
quote:
...simply remove the entire rear sight and put on a Magpul(or any other) flip up rear sight.

Then you're free to use any of the thousands of standard mounts/risers on the market.

Otherwise, if you're really set on keeping what you have, the following links show pics of Aimpoints mounted on a "RRA Tactical Carry Handle"... (that's what it's called if you need to do more research).

Aimpoint Micro on RRA Sight

Aimpoint Comp on RRA Sight

.-.-.-.

Posts: 2678 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m499:
I would do this:
quote:
...simply remove the entire rear sight and put on a Magpul(or any other) flip up rear sight.

Then you're free to use any of the thousands of standard mounts/risers on the market.
This 100%.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Sometimes the obvious is the best solution.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Dump it. That is what I did with mine. I now use a Troy rear sight with a Trijicon MRO on an SLR Rifleworks Mount.
I then got tired of the front sight post there all the time after going with the MRO so I put a RRA TRO handguard on and matched the Troy folding front sight.
I liked the sight until I decided to go with a Red Dot.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25404 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I agree the easiest option is to simply replace the rear sight, but I've gotta ask - what kind of red dot did you try on it? On AKs, even with the shortest mounts, the smaller ones (on sidemounts) will give you something like a cowitness whereas something as big as an Aimpoint Pro just seems far too high to be easily used without a raised cheekrest.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I agree the easiest option is to simply replace the rear sight, but I've gotta ask - what kind of red dot did you try on it? On AKs, even with the shortest mounts, the smaller ones (on sidemounts) will give you something like a cowitness whereas something as big as an Aimpoint Pro just seems far too high to be easily used without a raised cheekrest.

I was trying it out with an old SIG Tac that came with my 556. It's similar to an Aimpoint so I thought I'd try it out.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If it's like the SIG Tac I saw online, maybe try to see if someone you know will lend you something like a Holosun or Aimpoint H2 - one of those itty-bitty ones - on a minimal height mount to try out.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post