SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My first M1A SOCOM experience
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first M1A SOCOM experience Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I've worked on nearly every configuration of M14's in the last couple of years but I recently had one come across my bench recently and it was a really interesting job.

I pulled the barrel and installed a Criterion 16" barrel (only available through Fulton Armory) and bedded it into an AG composites CBR stock. It's best suited as a CQB or close range tool.

I also used a Delta-P gas lock front sight with 5/8x24 threads and a Surefire muzzle brake.

For testing purposes, I installed a Sadlak scope mount and SWFA 10x scope.

My first range trip out was horrible. My first two shots were right on top of each other and the shots would walk out from there. I think the gas cylinder was too tight on the barrel and heat was causing the groups to open up. As soon as I let it cool down, the pattern repeated just like the first.

I adjusted the fit of the gas cylinder to slide on easier and re-shimmed the gas cylinder for a better gas lock timing.

The result on the last trip was much better. about 4" with M80 ball at 100 yards (20 rounds) and 2.2" at 100 wth 168gr FGMM. I tried to shoot a better group with a slower rate of fire (one round a minute) and it got worse. After that I kind of got frustrated and fired the last 5 rounds quicker (shot as soon as I could get a good shot off) and it finished off with a 1.3" group. Apparently, this one shoots better if you don't wait too long between shots. It still shoots much better than the first trip

I set this one up with moderate draw pressure.

It will be interesting to test one of these with different torque on the main adapter. This rifle is gone now though but I'm going to build one for myself for research purposes.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very nice workup!

How is your hearing now?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
My hearing is fine. My spotter though, not so much. He was sitting at my 5 o'clock about 2 feet from the butt of the rifle and he only lasted 3 rounds before he got up and walked away. He said it felt like he got punched in the face.

Tony.

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
What chassis do you have your rifle in? Looks nice.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
My hearing is fine. My spotter though, not so much. He was sitting at my 5 o'clock about 2 feet from the butt of the rifle and he only lasted 3 rounds before he got up and walked away. He said it felt like he got punched in the face.

Tony.

Heh.

The side muzzle blast of my SAI SOCOM with factory brake is stout enough. I suspect it'd be even further amplified with that Surefire brake.

My short barrel AK-103K with AK74 brake is similar. It's tolerable for the shooter, but hell on anyone off to the side. Big Grin

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blfuller:
What chassis do you have your rifle in? Looks nice.

It's an AG Composites CBR (Carbon fiber Battle Rifle) stock. The action installs just like a traditional stock and can be bedded just like a traditional stock.

It has metal inserts molded into the stock for the pistol grip and AR-style carbine buffer tube.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
I haven't had a chance to dig my SOCOM out in some time, but it was always quite accurate, and consistent with temperature. I never found the muzzle brake objectionable when behind the rifle, or next to it. Others said they noticed it, though.

4" for a rifle???

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine isn't really setup for shooting groups but I'm still at 2 inches +/- .5 at 100 yards, even with the cheap plastic stock. Any updates on yours?

Posts: 220 | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I had a SOCOM II. Worse rifle I ever owned, It had to go back to SA 2x for a bad chamber that looked like it was chewed out by Bucky beaver.Last one wasn't much better but at least the rounds would eject. Gould never get it to shoot groups only shot gun patterns. Both with FGMM 168 grain and 168 gain SMK tailored hand loads. Not to mention how front heavy it was. Finally just traded it in at a considerable loss.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post