SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    300 Blackout upper?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Blackout upper? Login/Join 
Picture of TAP
posted
Who do we like for an affordable 300 Blackout upper complete? I am still reading up on this round, but I would want a pistol barrel length, i.e. 10" or 11", or less depending on what more knowledgable people think works well with this round.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I started with a 10.5 but went shorter after I started suppressing it. I don't hunt. My 8.5 and 9 do okay putting holes in paper and putting down deer at work. I have had PSA, AAC and Hardened Arms upper. No issues.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I have a PSA 8.5" upper I bought on a Black Friday sale. It's been a lot of reliable, accurate fun without having to invest a boatload of money for hardware. I'd buy another 8.5" again if I was in the market for another.

For barrel length you should consider how you're going to use the rifle. Suppressed and quiet? Short barrel length with 200+ grain bullets, and I keep my shots inside 200 yds. But extra barrel length and much lower bullet weights will be required if you are trying to reach out to longer ranges. I get around my personal limit of 200 yds by using my .308.

If you don't reload you can find 300BO ammo for around 50 cents/round online. It's not a cheap plinker, but it certainly is a lot of fun!

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
The round was built around a 9" barrel, 1:7 twist... definitely for subs and most supers.

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I went with 10.5" barrels on my two .300blk pistols (PSA & YHM ).
Went with a CMMG 16" on the rifle, cuz I didn't have a .300blk rifle. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I went with 8.5" Hardened Arms upper, no complaints at all.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I just saw that PSA is offering a 8.5" stainless MLOK upper in 300 Blackout (less charging handle and BCG) for $199 - free shipping.

Link

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Got a PSA 8.5" blackout upper and it runs great. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the blackout was designed around an 8.5" barrel. I don't think having a longer barrel really benefits you ballistically.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
Got a PSA 8.5" blackout upper and it runs great. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the blackout was designed around an 8.5" barrel. I don't think having a longer barrel really benefits you ballistically.

round was built around a 9" barrel, 1:7 twist

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
thanks to everyone for their info.. always the best place to get true info on firearms.
I will look into a 8-9" upper unit. Trying to save what hearing I have left over a 5.56 pistol

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAP:
thanks to everyone for their info.. always the best place to get true info on firearms.
I will look into a 8-9" upper unit. Trying to save what hearing I have left over a 5.56 pistol

Right there with you! The best way to save your hearing is with Suppressors. The 2nd best way is to use ear pro. 300blk suppressed is pretty amazing as well. Don't rule suppressors out if don't already have some. Theres a little bit of work involved to get them, but its not too much nor too difficult.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You really don't need to limit yourself to just pistol length barrels, the 300 BLK will work perfectly well with 16 inch barrels if you want to shoot supersonic. BTW, my 16 inch 300 BLK has a pistol length gas system and I put it together with an Adjustable gas block to keep from over gassing the receiver. Found out that tuning the gas supply to a specific load results in a cleaner shooting rifle and a softer perceived recoil with less muzzle rise.

Pick the right powder and 2200 fps is doable with a 125 grain bullet. BTW, some commercial loads can hit 2400 fps with a custom powder blend but without a fully equipped lab with piezo electric pressure transducers I wouldn't even consider fooling around with blending powders. For my reloads I stick with H110 because it meters wonderfully, produces sub MOA accuracy and 2200 fps is plenty good enough for plinking or hunting anything the size of a Whitetail or smaller. BTW, tried Lilgun and the accuracy was lousy at about 4 MOA.

Point being that going with a Carbine means you don't have to deal with a SBR Tax Stamp and can end up with a more versatile rifle.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post