SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    You know the AR15 is the new 10/22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You know the AR15 is the new 10/22 Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I was at the range the other day and it was packed. I would say 85% of the folks their were running an AR or two. Even the folks with more interesting stuff had an AR. It really has become ubiquitous. Not one of them was the same as the other. From basic A2s to tacticool SOPMODs to scopes varmint guns. Different stocks, barrels, trigger, etc. it hit me that it is totally the 10/22 of today.

I mean how many posts are about "how should I build my AR". "What barrel, what stock, what lower etc.".

Just like the 10/22 we can take a perfectly serviceable inexpensive rifle and turn it into a high cost piece of kinetic art. (I am not judging.....how could I when I am among the guilty Smile )

Anyway I am just amazed at how I remember a time when you could barely give AR15s away then came the 1994 AWB and now it is damn near the most common rifle out there.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I think (and hope) that good quality ARs will become even more prolific with how prices are bottoming out currently.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scuttlebutt
posted Hide Post
Well the 10/22 is just as addictive as an ar.All the modern advances in recent years have made it as addictive as crack.

By the by,thanks again for the cool tip on the Volquartsen target hammer kit to reduce and improve trigger pull weight.I still can't get over it.This is just another advancement that will fuel the addiction to shooting.

"The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese !"

Posts: 1221 | Location: Warner,N.H. | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
The AR is way more adaptive than the 10/22. By fall My Ar will be able to shoot over 1000 yards with 6.5 Grendel ammo, they go to a small ultra compact PDW then be a jack of all trades lightweight rifle all by changing uppers

The 10/22 cannot do this.

By late 2018 I want it able to shoot .458 Socom suppressed to round out the list.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
now it is damn near the most common rifle out there.

This is the desired outcome. Cool

I know it sucks for guys trying to sell them right now, but it really is for the best. Honestly, what could be better for us - as gun owners - than to have the AR15 become synonymous with the word 'rifle'?

Posts: 10751 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I have non-gun friends that have expressed interest in ARs. I've sold a few of the $500 rifles I've put together.

These are people who might have dad's old shotgun in the closet, or hunters that previously saw no need for guns outside of a deer rifle and a turkey scatter gun. Maybe they have that one cheap handgun they took to the range once. These people are becoming AR owners thanks to cheap prices on guns and cheap, easy ways to personalize via furniture swaps or scopes.

No telling how many ARs were sold during the Magpul craze from 10 years back, when every other AR build was mis-match Magpul covers on single point slings. Lord knows I have a mess of those covers in a box somewhere.

Browsing the photo threads over on Arfcom can be fun at times.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scuttlebutt:
Well the 10/22 is just as addictive as an ar.All the modern advances in recent years have made it as addictive as crack.

By the by,thanks again for the cool tip on the Volquartsen target hammer kit to reduce and improve trigger pull weight.I still can't get over it.This is just another advancement that will fuel the addiction to shooting.

Yup, I was looking at parts for my basic 10/22, then ended up just ordering a tacsol 10/22....not Im still getting parts to upgrade the origional.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
What's really interesting is seeing that the price comparison between the two; a "low end" entry model AR is comparable to a 10/22 with just a few modest accoutrements.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Either one is evolving and never finished.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
I love how mainstream the AR has gotten. Both Miller and Heller referred to a standard of "in common use", and you can't get any more common than the most popular rifle in America. Big Grin

Even some Fudds are buying them. Fleet Farm and Cabelas sell them.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
The AR is way more adaptive than the 10/22. By fall My Ar will be able to shoot over 1000 yards with 6.5 Grendel ammo, they go to a small ultra compact PDW then be a jack of all trades lightweight rifle all by changing uppers

The 10/22 cannot do this.

By late 2018 I want it able to shoot .458 Socom suppressed to round out the list.

It used to be said that the 10-22 is the VW Bug of the gun world ... but the AR has replaced it and is much closer to the truth now!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I never thought you would be able to buy an AR much cheaper than an AK.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and now it is damn near the most common rifle out there.

Yes, thank goodness. And that could have significant [positive] legal implications.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
.223 ammo was way easier to find than 22lr for much of the past 5+ years, too.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Volkswaffen.

Yep, I like the sound of that. Big Grin

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
I never thought you would be able to buy an AR much cheaper than an AK.

It's crazy, AKs and SKS's used to be dirt cheap and now ARs are cheaper than both of them.. pretty soon Mosin nagants are going to pass them in price if ARs keep getting cheaper and Mosins keep going up

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ubiquitous AR15; This is a good thing! Obama created more AR15 owners than we will ever know. Thanks Obama!

I just bought a Windham Weaponry AR15 for $535.00 back in February on-line and intend to buy a 22LR conversion kit.

I bet I would've needed to spend more the $535.00 had I bought it in October!

Posts: 1396 | Location: King of Prussia PA | Registered: September 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, sales for the ubiquitous rifle have fallen...

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Could that be because every gun owner has like 14 of them. Smile. "Hey honey where did we put the spoons with holes in them". "Right next to the AR15 lowers sweetie".

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post