SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope Leveling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Leveling Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted
I think I have this figured out, but wanted to check my logic with the forum. I have a Tikka T3X CTR (has pic rail). Nightforce 20moa unimount and Leupold Vx6 3-18 scope. With the scope in the mount, the flat on the bottom of the scope is too close to the mount to use the Ariska leveling device. With the unimount and the pic rail, however, my leveling process really only needs to get the reticle square to the rifle as there aren’t any other adjustments.

I have a piece of old marble that is very flat on top and can be leveled easily in my garage. If I do that and put the mount on it, and then level the scope (rotationally speaking) to the mount, that should be good, no? With the scope leveled and installed in the mount, bolt the mount to the pic rail.

Or am I not thinking about something?

Thanks!

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
I believe your thought process is sound, but you could easily do the same thing using playing cards (or similar) to effectively "shim" the space between the rifle's flat top and the flat on the bottom of the scope.

If I were doing it I would probably mount the base to the rifle, and then shim the scope level in the base with the shim cards and them sequentially tighten the rings.

Good luck!

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

I've used mechanic's feeler gauges for that purpose.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with using playing cards to shim the flat area on the bottom of the scope and the top of the pic rail.

Thats how I do it when mounting scopes to a rail.

When Im not using a rail, I use a bench vice and wheeler engineering leveling system (just a set of small levels), basically get the gun level in the vice, put the scope on then level that too.

I dont bother with plumb bobs etc.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion - shimming would be easier and I have a set of feeler gauges.

Have a great weekend!

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post