SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    G3/PTR guys, a moment please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

G3/PTR guys, a moment please Login/Join 
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted
So I just scored a great deal on a PPTR91K on the one auction site of which we do not speak.

What's the deal with mags? Alloy or steel? What are you guys using for a sling?

Any other things I should be aware of? This is my first roller lock rifle.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Aluminum mags have worked fine for me, but I have a half dozen steel mags that also work fine.

It will recoil a little stouter than other rifles of the same caliber because of the roller lock mechanism, at least as far as I understand it. Mine definitely lets you know you're shooting a rifle, and nothing less.

Don't bother with buying the collapsing stock unless you hate your face and really think a stowed .308 that's the same size as your run-of-the-mill 16" AR is deployed is something you need. Or the cool factor, there's that.

I would say buy a bunch of aluminum waffle mags, go and run yourself ragged with it at the range a few times and see how you feel about it. I'm not going to get rid of my HK, but I'm not going to sink a bunch of money into what's basically a range toy. It's easy to get a pile of mags for cheap, some furniture options and accessories through the surplus market. That's what I would look at.

I still want to get a factory bipod for mine, and I passed on trading a West German P220 for a complete Hensoldt 4x scope and clawmount with issued field carrying case a few years ago that I still feel bad for passing up. That's about as far as I can see going with it, but no desire to.

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I have about 50 of the alloy magazines and a couple steel. Just find them at a good price.

Good place for parts:

RTG Parts G3/HK91

Check for a parts kit which are great to have:

HK91 Survival Parts Kit

You can get a trigger pack worked and really improve the trigger:

Bill Springfield Trigger Work

I am also a wussy so I got a heavy buffer installed to reduce felt recoil. I got the part from RTG and had a local gunsmith install it but you can go here:

Bill Springfield Recoil Buffer

I am going to get to pick up a PTR91 GI and put an A3 stock on it....after I send the A3 stock to Springfield. Big Grin

Checking head space on bolt:

How To Check Your HK Bolt Gap

How To Check PTR91 Headspace

I have been using a Vicker's Blu Force with these modifications:

PTR91 Sling Mods

Lots of videos on Youtube for field stripping, cleaning and put it back together.

quote:
for a complete Hensoldt 4x scope and clawmount with issued field carrying case

I still kick myself for passing up on one of these when they were going for around $250 to $400 a few years ago.

Posts: 3925 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
I still kick myself for passing up on one of these when they were going for around $250 to $400 a few years ago.

Don't get me started. My old man is still pissed that he didn't spring for the extra $75 the shop offered him for the wood box factory .22 conversion kit when he bought the rifle.

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

Don't get me started. My old man is still pissed that he didn't spring for the extra $75 the shop offered him for the wood box factory .22 conversion kit when he bought the rifle.

The other one I passed up was the German Army G3 Armorer's crate.....almost enough spare parts to build complete rifles. Frown

Posts: 3925 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Stick with a fixed stock, the collapsibles on G3s are known as "meat-tenderizers" for a reason.

Your ejection port will get dinged up, unless you spring for a port-buffer, you'll just have to accept it. Also, your brass will not be recoverable, but that is part of the Teutonic charm of the G3 design.

As far as aluminum or steel mags, the aluminum mags are much lighter. Both function equally well. And they are just about the cheapest .308 magazine out there. I've found them for $2.50 each, in good condition.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steel mags will peen the bottom of the magwell. Aluminum mags work great, are cheaper, are lighter, and don’t peen the magwell.

Stick with a fixed stock. Add the 21E recoil pad and 21E buffer and these greatly tame the recoil. The collapsible stock SUCKS.

Congrats on your purchase!

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2317 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the Hensoldt 4x scope and authentic HK Stanang clawmount and found that I could group better with open sights. Only time in my life this has occurred.

There use to be an issue shooting getting jams from some milsurp ammo. Not all PTR's experienced that though. You might research that before buying a crapload of some discounted milsurp ammo. Don't plan on getting reloads from your brass.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If you mount a nice low power scope on it and go to deer camp, you will hear the phrase "Machine-gunning Bambi" more than once.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a PTR-91 that was manufactured back when the company was still JLD Enterprise and it hasn't failed me once. That said, for me, it is just a range toy and something to make my friends jealous over. I used to have a pretty good source for surplus Australian 7.62 still on the links but that dried up years ago and with the cost of .308 these days it mostly collects dust.

Of course, I'd never get rid of mine regardless of how much range time it doesn't get.

Like the others have said, save your money and don't worry about the collapsible stock because it sucks and only really serves an ascetic purpose. But one nice upgrade is the extended charging handle. I've considered finding someone to perminately fix a rail to the receiver.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DrewR,

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The accessory I love is the soft rubber butt pad that goes on the standard stock. The standard butt pad is hard plastic (my reference is my HK91 btw) and it is a mite annoying when shooting. The soft pad makes it a whole new weapon. It is broad and notably improves recoil. RTG has them last I checked.

The original pad, in the stock with the two hollow rivets, is held in place by spring clamps. To remove the plastic pad I clamp it (all of it) in a vice with wood jaws. Pull sideways on the stock as if you were bending the pad to the left or right. The pad will pop off the spring clamps. New one snaps in place.

Yes, it is a novel piece to have, but in a worst case situation it (or the FAL) would be what I would grab and go with. 100% reliable, easy to maintain, eats all I feed it. While my brass gets dinged on ejection, it is still reloadable. The Hensoldt works well but needed standard tweaking to get it on target.

If you get the buffer for the brass, it clips on the receiver near the ejection port. I would put some electrical tape on the receiver to prevent the clip from scratching the finish.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
No issues with steel or alloy mags. Alloy is lighter and still hell for stout.

The collapsible stock is not comfortable but not from a recoil perspective just that they are not the most comfy. They look bad ass though Smile so mine stays.

I too have a JLD Model, with original metal lower and collapsible stock.

Not sure how you reload when the bullet goes a few hundred yards down range and the brass does the same just in a perpendicular direction. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
The accessory I love is the soft rubber butt pad that goes on the standard stock. The standard butt pad is hard plastic (my reference is my HK91 btw) and it is a mite annoying when shooting. The soft pad makes it a whole new weapon. It is broad and notably improves recoil. RTG has them last I checked.

Skip that and swap for the 21E recoil pad.

"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2317 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info guys. My rifle I guess is some sort of hybrid... It's a fixed stock but with the shorter 16 inch barrel.

I also scored a NOS West German sling today as well as a whole ton of alloy mags. The 21E buttpad is out of stock but is on my list of things to get. I want to keep this as simple as possible so no optics on this one for me.

Do you guys grease it at all or just use oil? Any particular area where there is usually a lot of wear?

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use grease in the roller recesses and bolt rails. Lube on rollers.