SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What piston ar? LWRC or Sig MCX Virtus
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What piston ar? LWRC or Sig MCX Virtus Login/Join 
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
I would go for LWRCI over the SIG due to history of poor or no support of rifles.
My favorite is the Barret REC7, though.

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I'm an LWRC Fanboy

I’m a fanboy, too. LWRC quality is outstanding, and as I shoot rifle lefty, I like the fact that they are ambidextrous. I have a couple of PWS piston guns as well, and I like them, but the LWRCs are still my favorites.

I am interested in the MCX Virtus, and may end up with one eventually, but if choosing only one, I’d definitely go LWRC.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
In no particular order I consider a LMT, PWS, POF or LWRC.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Remember the promise that was the Sig 556xi? Rest easy with LWRC, everyday of the week and twice on Saturday....

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c_zielsdorf:
I would go for LWRCI over the SIG due to history of poor or no support of rifles.
My favorite is the Barret REC7, though.

If poster doesn't mind OD. Barrett REC7 Gen II Flyweight 5.56 NATO 16" OD Green Rifle = $1,588

My CFO has a LWRC that he's had for years. It's a nice rifle.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the responses/info. Now I'm really confused. Was able to handle a POF di and man what a well built rifle. I have a sig mpx that I like a lot, but I agree that Sig has really screwed the pooch along with many customers with their rifles. The potential lack of future support has me turning away from the mcx. I am still researching and welcome any and all comments/ suggestions.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kent j:
Now I'm really confused. Was able to handle a POF di and man what a well built rifle.
I am still researching and welcome any and all comments/ suggestions.

There are many options for quality ARs -- both DI and piston. I don't see a reason to limit your options to just piston systems. Most of my ARs are DI.

My piston LWRC is really easy to clean after shooting. Even from suppressed shooting, which is most of my shooting.

But I don't find DI rifles all that hard to clean. Sure, the bolt and much of the BCG gets carbon on it. My coated BCGs clean up faster than my parkerized ones. After a typical day of shooting -- 100 to 200 rounds -- I clean and relube an AR-15 in 10-15 minutes. I don't scrub the bolt to where it is ridiculously clean & free of carbon, but the bolt is definitely good to go for thousands of rounds, if necessary.

My piston upper cleans and relubes in 7-10 minutes. BTW, my times include running wet patches through the bore to remove most (but not all) of the barrel's carbon fouling.

Consider what type of shooting you want to do -- distances to targets, accuracy demands, preferred types of ammo, irons or optics, offhand/bench/prone shooting positions, will you carry the rifle, will it be for home defense, hunting/plinking/punching paper. Then narrow your options once you've focused on AR features.

An AR that fits your requirements will last a lifetime. You may shoot it enough to wear out barrels and optics. An AR that you're only mildly pleased with will spend a lot of time in your safe.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kgray01
posted Hide Post
My PWS MK114 and MK220 are soft shooting, tack driving, bullet eating works of art!

1 Sam. 15:28

Posts: 313 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cann't comment on the MCX, but have a SIG 516 Carbon. A fine carbine that hasn't caused me to need customer support. I am a fan of the piston. Supposedly piston gun are not as inherently accurate as DI but 516 is more than accurate enough for my skills, and what I like most is it runs so much cleaner than a DI AR. However if I were buying new now, I am not sure a piston is worth the added $1000.

Posts: 2273 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am still researching and welcome any and all comments/ suggestions.

I would say don't write off the DI rifles until you have had a chance to handle them side by side with piston rifles.

Pistons add weight out on the front of the rifle where you notice it the most. They keep the bolt carrier group cleaner, but speaking as someone who generally does a wipe with a rag and a quick re-lube, it's not really an issue.

I have fired, but not owned, a variety of short stroke piston ARs. They all shot just fine. But they add cost, and I would argue they add some complexity.

I'm not a white glove kind of guy. We don't disassemble and clean the engine of our car when we change the oil. We just change the oil.

I pretty much just change the oil. Smile

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Buying a suppressor for use on some of my ARs, changed my definition of what 'dirty' meant when it came to guns. Big Grin

I still subscribe to the same cleaning regimen, except every thousand rounds or so I will toss the BCG into an ultrasonic cleaner. They come out of that looking brand new.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raptor
posted Hide Post
LWRC's lifetime warranty only applies to the original purchaser. They will send a questionnaire to determine if you are the original purchaser. If you are not the original purchaser there is a fee for service.

Posts: 25 | Registered: October 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the info. I bought a LWRC IC enhanced with a Trijicon mro. Already registered my warranty. With your help I looked at many different manufactures. My preferred local dealer had several used upper end rifles. He had told me about the LWRC he had on order a week ago which prompted my original question. I feel this rifle is the best fit for me, what a beautiful piece of machinery. Now my wife thinks she may want one. I really appreciate your help.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys for all the info. I bought a LWRC IC enhanced with a Trijicon mro. Already registered my warranty. With your help I looked at many different manufactures. My preferred local dealer had several used upper end rifles. He had told me about the LWRC he had on order a week ago which prompted my original question. I feel this rifle is the best fit for me, what a beautiful piece of machinery. Now my wife thinks she may want one. I really appreciate your help.

Great looking rifles on the LWRC website.

I'm sure it will serve you very well!

posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a LWRC IC enhanced

I have that model in a 14.5" barrel upper. You done good.

I find it's quite accurate, throughout a wide range of bullet weights. Once I moved up to a 2-10x scope, I was able to produce sub-moa groups at 300-400 yards.

The IC's recoil is a fractionally harsher than from my DI 16" upper. But it's a 223 chamber -- anyone getting overly excited about 223 recoil should drop to 22lr.

I wish LWRC would have made mine with a slimmer rail. IMO it's a little bulky and heavier than necessary.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm the minority here that would take the Virtus over an LWRC. My original MCX actually replaced an M6A2. I'm also waiting on the MCX-MR to eventually replace my REPR. I like the versatility of the MCX, the ability to swap calibers is huge in my book. Not to mention the MCX is significantly lighter. My friend had some not-so pleasant experiences with LWRC's CS which actually prompted him to sell off most of his LWRC rifles.. and at the time, he was friends with a few of the higher-ups in the company, to the point that he and I were actually able to tour the LWRC facility.

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
CDNN has them on sale, LWRC, all day long !! I own one

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
https://www.cdnnsports.com/lwr...92.html#.WrRU8mrwbcs

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That right there tells you how soft the gun market is right now.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
There is a great thread on AR15.com about a guy that owns a range in Las Vegas and goes through about 500K rounds a month. He discusses all the part breakage, maintenance and rifles. The only piston AR that has held up was a HK 416 clone and its still no where near as reliable as a DI AR. Their Remington and Mossberg shotguns last 3-4 weeks!

It's 31 pages and take it with a grain of sale but those rifles see some serious abuse and it's interesting. The PSA BCG and uppers have held up surprisingly well for "budget" parts.

I went with a BCM SS410 16 Upper and BCM lower. I like being able to pick what I want and BCM had a huge selection of uppers for sale. There are so many great manufacturers. Personally I'd get a LWRC, BCM, Larue or Colt DI rifle and go shoot it and find out what you like and don't like.

I went through the same agonizing research and just decided to order something solid. The piston rifles are nice but you pay for the extra cost and I'm not sure I'd do that for a first rifle.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR...ur-range/118-677135/

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post