SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What piston ar? LWRC or Sig MCX Virtus
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What piston ar? LWRC or Sig MCX Virtus Login/Join 
Picture of kent j
posted
I have recently come to the conclusion that I am going to buy an AR15. I have never really had much interest in ar's mainly because of the direct impingement operating system. While I don't really want to spend the money a piston ar costs, in my old age I really like how much cleaner they run. So What piston ar would you guys recommend. Been looking at LWRC and SIG MCX Virtus. Open to info on others also. If I was to buy a DI gun it would be a Colt le6960, really like the look and feel of it.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LWRC provides support and parts for their products. Sig, not so much.

LWRC.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Between those two,lwrc.

Ruger makes a nice piston ar15, as does pof.

Since i have 2 sig piston guns and 2 pof piston guns...

I shot a mcx vertus this weekend, in 300 blk. I loved it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend LWRC over Sig. I bet the support for any LWRC product will be around long after Sig cancels support.

From a quality standpoint, I place LWRC above Sig. I won a 14.5" LWRC upper in a rifle match a couple years ago. Considered selling the upper, but instead kept it. I'm glad I did -- the LWRC upper is one of my more accurate uppers.

I wouldn't put Colt in the same league as LWRC -- Colt is the lessor product. The Colt 6960 is a decent rifle, but an LWRC is better.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I recommend LWRC over Sig. I bet the support for any LWRC product will be around long after Sig cancels support.

From a quality standpoint, I place LWRC above Sig.
+1

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

From a quality standpoint, I place LWRC above Sig.
+1

+2, agreed.

With SIG's history with rifles, I recommend that people who want to own a SIG should stick to their pistols.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I'd go lwrc if sticking with ar's. Hell for the sig money I'd just go with a scar if you're looking to ditch the buffer tube.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Would also look at PWS or scar 16

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
My buddy got a PWS MK116 MOD 2 last year and its a nice rifle. I've been researching ARs for the last year and everyone speaks very highly of the PWS rifles. They came out out the MOD2-M this year but the 2017s are still floating around and have the ZEV trigger. For $1600ish its a very nice rifle.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5.56 in 14.5 inch and longer barrels,LWRCI - 300 Blackout in short 12 inch and under barrels, the SIG MCX Virtus

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LWRC rifles are at least 2 tiers better than Sig rifles. Buy the SIG and soon you are likely to be left with an unsupported platform when they decide to move on to something else they think they can sell quickly.

LWRC's are Solid rifles. I've had 3 and still have 2 of the DI guns. I prefer a good DI AR to the any piston AR. All that being said if you want a piston gun you are better off moving up to a SCAR which is exactly what I traded my piston LWRC for......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'm an LWRC Fanboy, not only for the great product they provide, but for their customer support, AFTER the sale.

I have two of their earlier AR's both piston guns. Both have been flawless.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
PWS definitely makes some good stuff.
For a complete turn key rifle look there for sure.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Between the two I'd choose LWRC. Open up the contest to others and I'd pick PWS.

I like my PWS Mk114 Mod 2 a whole lotta more than either of my SIG 516s, but that's mostly due to weight, or the absence of such with the PWS. My SIGs perform well but they are of the quad rail era and lack any aftermarket alternative besides the CF handguard from Lancer. However sticking with 'factory spec', SIG does have a tendency to modify stuff endlessly, which I suppose it's their prerogative to try to improve, though what exactly they're improving is always the question (my guess is 'profits'). I'm pretty sure that even my early Gen2 516 has few identical spec parts in common with the current production iteration of said Gen2.x 516.

As for my Gen1, well thanks to SIG doing what they did with LWRC patent infringements...yeah there's ZERO support for that one other than offering to convert it to a Gen2. More than likely they'd STILL get the gas block canted over to one side in doing so. Two for two with my 516s.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of Sig’s MCX and 4 LWRC rifles. The LWRC rifles are definitely a couple of steps up and their customer support is unbeatable (they actually seem to like their customers)!

Posts: 503 | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I'm really happy with my PWS MK114.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an LMT MRP piston (and a bunch of other ARs) so I've nothing against them.

Pistons benefits are overblown (and they introduce different potential issues) as are any perceived issues with the standard DI system. For a first AR, get a good quality DI one where parts are plentiful and save some $ (and weight). You may find DI is just fine. I ran my SBR for over 2000 rds including a carbine course before cleaning it.

When I do "clean" my ARs, I just wipe them down, run a bore snake through the bore a re-lube. I certainly don't waste time making them spotless. ARs fail due to not enough lube, not being dirty. It also takes many hundreds of rds w/o lube to get them dry enough to start to malfunction.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LWRC > Sig for me too if those were my only choices. I have a Scar 16 and an Adams Arms 7.5” piston upper on a SBR that has shown no signs of weakness either. They both are very clean, but as mentioned a standard DI AR isn’t hard to keep clean.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles: All that being said if you want a piston gun you are better off moving up to a SCAR which is exactly what I traded my piston LWRC for......

lol !!! Big Grin

Did the same.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vipers28
posted Hide Post
Doesn't LMT offer a piston option? They are a pretty good manufacture.

Posts: 769 | Location: H6 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post