SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question about Rock River AR quality
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Rock River AR quality Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I thought Rock River was good to go. My question arises from the fact that prices are shooting up because of the current climate, but I still see Rock River complete rifles as low as $800-$900, which is how they have always been priced.

Did something happen with Rock River of which I'm unaware that would bring down demand? Are they still good to go? Was I mistaken and they were never good to go?

A cousin is looking for a good basic AR, and I thought the RR Entry Tactical would be a good choice, but I don't want to give bad advice.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
First question is, where are you seeing them for that price and are they actually in stock? I have two RRA rifles (Entry Tactical and X1 5.56) and they're good quality for factory guns. Not to the level of my Noveske and Sons of Liberty Gun Works, but they've been 100% reliable and they shoot.

Some people wrote them and Springfield Arms off saying they supported a bill that hurt gun owners in Illinois. You can Google it and find the details. They're hated over at AR15.com for that reason.

Having said all of that, my opinion is, if you can get your hands on a complete RRA rifle for $800.00-$900.00 in this climate, you better jump.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a RRA upper with a Wylde barrel and it is a solid performer. RRA makes some good stuff and if you can find them for that price, don't hesitate. I have no problem/issue with the quality of a RRA gun. Buy with confidence.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
First question is, where are you seeing them for that price and are they actually in stock? I have two RRA rifles (Entry Tactical and X1 5.56) and they're good quality for factory guns. Not to the level of my Noveske and Sons of Liberty Gun Works, but they're reliable and they shoot.

Some people wrote them and Springfield Arms off saying they supported a bill that hurt gun owners in Illinois. You can Google it and find the details. They're hated over at AR15.com for that reason.

Thanks. I don't frequent AR15.com, and I'm too much into ARs, so I was unaware. Here's a listing for the Entry Tactical at Kentucky Gun for $850 with free shipping, although I think they surcharge for credit card payment:

https://www.kygunco.com/Produc...vad=211021_c1c4628a9

They also show a mid-length for $810.

I notice these both have barrels with 1:9 twist. From memory that is fine for 55gr but not as good for heavier bullets? Is that correct?

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Rock River with a predator barrel about 4 years ago. My Colt shoots 2" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I can cover my Rock River 3 shot group with a dime.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
First question is, where are you seeing them for that price and are they actually in stock? I have two RRA rifles (Entry Tactical and X1 5.56) and they're good quality for factory guns. Not to the level of my Noveske and Sons of Liberty Gun Works, but they're reliable and they shoot.

Thanks. I don't frequent AR15.com, and I'm too much into ARs, so I was unaware. Here's a listing for the Entry Tactical at Kentucky Gun for $850 with free shipping, although I think they surcharge for credit card payment:

I notice these both have barrels with 1:9 twist. From memory that is fine for 55gr but not as good for heavier bullets? Is that correct?

1/9 should be fine for up to 62gr, maybe even 69gr, but that might be pushing it. $850.00 shipped is a good buy in my opinion.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I own 2 RRA and they are well made and both shoot under 1"5 shot 100yard groups with quality relaods or Federal ammo.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Both of my RRA are very accurate.

I’ve had no issues with either other than the fact that my ELITE OPERATOR II is heavy AF. On the upside, it is quite stable.

My NATIONAL MATCH is boringly accurate. No challenge to hit what you want, where you want out to 200.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: x0225095,

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Having said all of that, my opinion is, if you can get your hands on a complete RRA rifle for $800.00-$900.00 in this climate, you better jump.

agree

-----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:

1/9 should be fine for up to 62gr, maybe even 69gr, but that might be pushing it. $850.00 shipped is a good buy in my opinion.

69 SMK's run great in a 1:9,

and RRA is good to go, quality guns

and from what I have been told, their Bullseye guns (handguns)
are damn good

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I have a RRA LAR 15, and really like it.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
My first ar purchase. they are great guns for the money. Mine came with their 2 stage trigger wich is well worth the money.

As others have said they lost a lot of business for throwing gun stores under the bus in Illinois.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fwiw they apologized:

For immediate release: May 2, 2017

Rock River Arms, Inc.® (RRA) is immediately severing all ties with the Illinois Firearms Manufacturers Association (IFMA). We feel that IFMA’s integrity is compromised and we will not be a part of the organization. We trusted that contributions and resources provided to IFMA by RRA were being used to promote and uphold our 2nd Amendment values. IFMA’s actions have destroyed that trust.

For more than twenty years, RRA has actively opposed gun control legislation at the local, state, and federal levels. We have supported and provided monetary and product donations to multiple pro-gun organizations including NRA, NSSF, ISRA and countless others. We have attended rallies and spoken at educational events on behalf of gun owners’ rights. Our employees have collected signatures, written letters and e-mails, called legislators’ offices, as well as attended events, meetings and hearings in Springfield, Illinois.

What we learned, however, was that we are better at manufacturing firearms and accessories than playing political games at the state capitol. So, we began to utilize the services of lobbyists, first through other organizations and then in 2009, we partnered with several other manufacturers to form IFMA.

Prior to our further review, we believed that the organization had accurately represented us. We feel that IFMA’s actions have compromised its integrity. While their actions may be standard practices at the capitol, backdoor politics and convoluted deal-making are counter to the way we do business and lead our lives.

I sincerely apologize for my lack of direct engagement in IFMA’s governance and subsequent actions, as well as the abandonment gun owners are feeling.

If you have any questions regarding, or need more information about, this statement or RRA’s position, please contact: Sarah Larson, RRA General Manager at 309-792-5780.

Thank you,
Chuck Larson
President/Owner
Rock River Arms, Inc.

-----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My first AR was a Rock River purchased over a dozen years ago in CA when the bullet button made it possible. It was a very good gun, but the annoying thing about it was the extreme tightness of the upper to lower fit, even after 500 rds. I always had to use a mallet and wooden dowel to hammer out/in the takedown pins. Eventually I bought Bravo Co. and LMT ARs and sold the RR during Obama's first term when ARs and parts became scarce.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have two Rock River Arms AR15's. One of which was my first rifle ever purchased. I still remember buying that gun and the absolute pride and feeling of freedom and security when I brought that gun home. I won't part with either.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I have an ATH upper that blows me away how accurate it is. And over lots of ammo. I've heard that a lot about RRs. I had a few many years ago I never shot. The m4 entry whatever I grabbed em because Obama got elected. Sold em later when nothing happened. I also think their trigger for 80-100 bucks is a good buy.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6968 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My Rock River has been my work rifle for 14 years now.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much guys. I am really trying to not overthink this. I have emailed a few sellers on Armslist but can't seem to get any replies. Ill see how that goes.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 239 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NapoleonSolo:
Thanks so much guys. I am really trying to not overthink this. I have emailed a few sellers on Armslist but can't seem to get any replies. Ill see how that goes.

I'd recommend staying away from Armslist. There are way too many scammers on there. Use one of the trusted online gun sellers, and simply buy it online. I've bought from Kentucky Gun Company and many others online with no issues.

If you haven't bought a gun online, you buy it like anything else, except that it has to ship to an FFL holder that is local to you. They take possession of it and you go pick it up there. They'll do the background check if necessary (CHP suffices where I live), and they will charge you a fee for the service. Usually between $15 and $50.

I do recommend the Rock River I posted the link to, but if you see something you like, just post a link in your original thread and ask the guys here what they think. We'll let you know if the deal is decent and if the seller is trustworthy.