SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Volquartsen Takes Over Production Of Summit Straight Pull Rifles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Volquartsen Takes Over Production Of Summit Straight Pull Rifles Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Didn't see this posted anywhere yet.

quote:
In the category of what two things fit perfectly together, Volquartsen and anything .22LR is pretty much a given. So when the latest email blast came from the precision rifle and pistol manufacturer showing a new production run of the Summit Rifle, I couldn’t help but smile. After all, Primary Weapon Systems (PWS) announced the retirement of the straight pull rifles and receivers a couple of years ago, leaving myself and others to scramble for the remaining guns. My project “spark plug” – making a charger style pistol with a Summit receiver – has unfortunately stalled for the moment, due mostly to time constraints.

It’s worth repeating – suppressed rimfire is life. With the Summit rifle, you get the benefit of a manual bolt action rifle, with all the aftermarket support of the Ruger 10/22 platform. I predict the Volquartsen Summit rifles will be a hit. Details can be found below.

The Volquartsen Summit bolt action 22 LR is based on a concept originally developed by Primary Weapons Systems. The Volquartsen Summit represents the combination of their innovative design and 40+ years of our own rimfire experience,

Designed for both competition shooting as well as small game hunting, this unique rifle is a straight-pull bolt action inspired by the 10/22 style platform. The CNC-machined receiver features an integral 20 MOA Picatinny Rail, making it the perfect rifle for any rimfire long range shooting.

The Summit is built using our lightweight carbon fiber barrel. It features a muzzle threaded 1/2 x 28, making it the perfect companion for your favorite suppressor. It doesn’t get much quieter than a 22 LR bolt gun suppressed!

This innovative design is built for everyone from the junior just getting into shooting to the accomplished competitor. It features everything you could ask for.

I've lusted after a PWS Summit for a while, but with their shutting down production a few years ago, the remaining rifles, and those already out there have gone up dramatically in price. But seems that Volquartsen is going to start producing them with some upgrades/changes. If/when these start hitting the market I'll probably be tempted to venture into the 10/22(ish) world finally.

Link to article

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I handled one of the PWS rifles. It was well made but expensive for what it was. I think the one I handled was integrally suppressed. But memory could be faulty.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8846 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure whether or not I should be laffin' or cryin'.

An American company making a freakin' STRAIGHT-PULL rifle, when there is no need to? I understand that it's a rimfire, but here in UK, apart from any kind of bolt-action, the only guns we can have that look like a military format semi-auto rifle or carbine in centre-fire, are straight-pull or nothing.

Do you REALLY want a straight-pull rifle?

Convince me, please.

tac

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
You don't need no steenkin suppressor with those CCI Quiet-22s.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I had the chance to buy an action for a good price but ended up holding off due to reports of less than ideal performance. Since I was running a Gemtech Mist, it wasn't really worth rolling the dice. Ended up buying a complete Izhmash Biathlon Basic 7-2KO for the same $400 and had it threaded and built my 10/22 on a Nodak instead.

Posts: 3075 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have one of the PWS straight pulls, topped off with a Silencerco Warlock II.

Time and again, it's everyone's favorite gun to shoot.

The straight pull-action isn't a great training tool for a traditional bolt-action shooter, but it is fun and fast for beginners. And the carbon fiber barrel is light and accurate enough to be fun with.

It kind of makes sense that VQ is taking the line over from PWS. PWS is an AR manufacturer. A .22 bolt-gun is not exactly in their wheelhouse.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I'm not sure whether or not I should be laffin' or cryin'.

An American company making a freakin' STRAIGHT-PULL rifle, when there is no need to? I understand that it's a rimfire, but here in UK, apart from any kind of bolt-action, the only guns we can have that look like a military format semi-auto rifle or carbine in centre-fire, are straight-pull or nothing.

Do you REALLY want a straight-pull rifle?

Convince me, please.

tac

Tactical biathalon?

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I built a rifle based on the PWS Summit action. Like many others, I've had problems with extraction of fired cases. Hopefully, Volquartsen will work the bugs out. You can't beat it for suppressor use. Quick and quiet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MagnumU,

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post