SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Update: seeking red dot advice for shorty AK
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update: seeking red dot advice for shorty AK Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
I'm in need of a optics mounting solution for my AKS-74U. Not looking to use the side rail because I want to be able to fold the stock.

Does anyone use the Ultimak gas tube replacement rail? They make one for the Krink and it's not obscenely expensive. Looks like it will preserve the form factor of the gun best.

How do they hold up? Hold zero? Thermal drift issues as the tube heats up?

Alternately, I'd consider a top cover replacement, but I don't know if there are units like that for the Krink, given its different top cover lockup compared to a standard AK.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oat_Action_Man,

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have one on my Krebs AK-103K. Install is straightforward, and it mounts very solidly, with no loss of zero or thermal shift issues.

There are a few reports out there expressing concerns about some cheap optics possibly getting fried by the heat from the gas tube after long strings of rapid fire, but I don't do mindless mag dumps with mine, and I haven't had any heat issues with optics with normal firing, even with the really cheap Bushnell I had on it for a little while. I'm not sure if that's even a realistic issue, or just more interweb hyperbole.

I have Ultimaks on my Mini-14 and M1A as well. All have been great.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I had one on my Arsenal SA M-7. I had various RDS on it without any issues.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Attero has options you might consider.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had one also on an Arsenal and its been fine.I wouldn't have any hesitation saying its well thought out and built and perfectly satisfactory.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I’ve got one on a SLR-106 and I’ve had no issues with it coming loose. I’m using an Aimpoint H1, which has had no issues with the heat. It will get HOT even with regular shooting. I would also suggest wearing a glove on your support hand. Your thumb is bound to hit it at some point and touching a hot Ultimak is not something you want to do. Overall, I like it. The sight sits nice and low.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syngin1066:
I’ve got one on a SLR-106 and I’ve had no issues with it coming loose. I’m using an Aimpoint H1, which has had no issues with the heat. It will get HOT even with regular shooting. I would also suggest wearing a glove on your support hand. Your thumb is bound to hit it at some point and touching a hot Ultimak is not something you want to do. Overall, I like it. The sight sits nice and low.

What mount do you use for the H1/T1? Does it allow any co-witness of the iron sights?

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
The Ultimak has been around for a while, I got one when they first came out for my Kobra (Russian red-dot) and it would over heat it in a few shots, once it cooled down it started working again.

Personally I prefer the Texas Weapons System top cover they call the Dog Leg ... like a Krink top cover it mounts to the pivot of the rear leaf-sight, and to really be effective, you have to use their rear lock ... I'm not sure what's different about it other than its tight, but with their rear lock there is no wobble in the top cover.

Over the years I've moved it to a couple different AK's and its current and final home is on my Arsenal SLR95, with MagPul furniture

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syngin1066:
I would also suggest wearing a glove on your support hand. Your thumb is bound to hit it at some point and touching a hot Ultimak is not something you want to do.

That's a good tip, if you're using a stock AK lower handguard.

There are also options out there for larger/extended lower handguards that are Ultimak compatible, including the Magpul Zhukov. That's what I have on mine, and there's minimal risk of touching the Ultimak if your support hand is out at the end of the extended handguard.

Magpul makes a 74U-specific version of the Zhukov extended handguard too:

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if the Zhukov would work. I'm using a Bulgarian 4 piece flash hider, so the diameter of that might interfere with the extended handguard. I'm honestly too lazy to dig around and see if they're compatible. Roll Eyes

Plus, I am thinking of eventually going with an SLR forearm, but for now I'm just trying to get the gun ready for go time.

I know the TWS dogleg won't work because the Krink style sight base is different than a standard AKM sight base.

And I definitely wear gloves when I shoot the thing. It's all I can do not to have my hand touching the front sight and wrapped around the handguard retaining ring. (Hence why I want something Mlok eventually to install a nice hand stop!)

I'll go with the Ultimak for now. The gun will be plenty functional with that, it seems.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
I have owned several Rifle Dynamic AK's with Ultimak rails on them. They work great.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used one as a contractor in Iraq. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy their products again.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I'm going with the Ultimak for the Krink.

What kind of red dot optic recommendations do you have? I'm definitely looking to keep it small, but I've never had a gun with an optic mounted so far forward. Will a MRDS do fine mounted that far forward?

I'd also want a decently small dot because, even if it's basically a sub-100 yard gun, I still don't want a huge reticle that makes longer shots difficult.

Suggestions for a small optic (like Aimpoint Micro size or smaller) with a dot that's 2-4 MOA and can be mounted super low on the rail? I probably don't want to spend more than $500 (so no pricier than an RMR, basically).

posted Hide Post
I've done a couple of different setups on the ultimak. An RMR (just to use up one of my type 1's as I no longer trust them on pistol slides) in an RM33 mount. Works just fine. and is very low profile. But after so many years of aimpoint use I actually prefer a larger sight (no logic to that) so on a couple of others I have tried Aimpoint Pro and an MRO. The aimpoint has a bit too much junk around it which never bothers me when its right near my eye but does out on the forward rail. The MRO works great and has been my go to when I don't want to spend real aimpoint money for a project. I run it in an adm mount and the height seems ok. The Trijicon low mount is probably a bit lower to the deck if that matters. 2moa if that matters on the latter two. I run a 1moa dot on the RMR and its not problematic but it wasn't really a selection it was just reusing something from another purpose.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
So I'm going with the Ultimak for the Krink.

What kind of red dot optic recommendations do you have? I'm definitely looking to keep it small, but I've never had a gun with an optic mounted so far forward. Will a MRDS do fine mounted that far forward?

I'd also want a decently small dot because, even if it's basically a sub-100 yard gun, I still don't want a huge reticle that makes longer shots difficult.

Suggestions for a small optic (like Aimpoint Micro size or smaller) with a dot that's 2-4 MOA and can be mounted super low on the rail? I probably don't want to spend more than $500 (so no pricier than an RMR, basically).

I was looking for essentially the same parameters for a PCC build that need an uber low mount to co-witness irons on a CZ Scorpion. I ended up with the Primary Arms SLx. Not what I normally buy, but we (my wife's CZ) went through all the usuals and a variety of mounts - Aimpoint, Vortex, Holosun, Trijicon, etc and the PA sight worked the best for a low mount and in a "scout" position. It's been amazingly rugged. No issues and has taken quite the beating on barricades, etc. https://www.primaryarms.com/pr...-micro-red-dot-sight. IMHO, worth a try for $129. if you're something forward mounted.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to spring for a full blown Aimpoint Micro H1/T1, the Primary Arms clones are good to go. I have a number of them on various range guns, from various generations of their red dots, and they're all good to go. (But if you were planning to use this for serious defensive use, it's worth spending the money on the Aimpoint.)

My AK currently sports a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot on its Ultimak, which I think is one generation earlier than the current SLx.