SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    LPVO on a Marlin 1895 (45-70)?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LPVO on a Marlin 1895 (45-70)? Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I'm pondering if I just put a Leupold FXII Scout on it or if Ispend a tiny bit more money for say a Vortex Viper 1-6X.

I will say this...I highly doubt I will use it to shot anything more than 100 yards away, but with my eyes I definitely need magnification of SOME sort at 100 yards and maybe even at 75.

The eye relief on the Scout seems to make it a no brainer...but I keep seeing where Scout rifle scopes were designed way before the modern advances in LPVO. Then again the 1-6 seems like overkill on a gun that probably wont be shot past 100 yards.

So any experience or recommendations? It's more a discussion than a make a decision for me type of question.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say you meant 1895. When I went that route on an 1895, I just conventionally mounted a low power fixed magnification scope with a wide field of view. Even with LeverEvolution increased performance ammo, the 45-70 is a 150 yard cartridge. The low power scope lent itself well to shooting with both eyes open and when a faster shot was needed. The cost was less than a Scout or EER scope and the mounting was simpler too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Fixed it, I get quite dyslexic when I type a bit too fast.

I'm a bit sad Nikon is out of the game.

Who would be comparable to that level of quality these days?

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I use a VXR Scout 1.5-5 on my 1895 and a 1.5-4 VX2 Scout on my 336. My 1894s typically have a Holosin or Fastfire on them. I dont care for the looks of the LPVO mounted on leverguns. I also find the Scout setup to be closer to traditional red dot when used at the lowest magnification.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the Leupold FX 4x.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Leupold 1.25-4 Firedot Pig plex on my Marlin 45-70. Illuminated Firedot really helps for dusk.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I run a Burris 2-7x scout scope on my 45/70. No problems using it up close & the 7x does help my old eyes on the longer shots.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Leupold long eye relief scope, mounted forward, on an x/s mount, on my 1895 .45/70. I see it as a 100 yard rifle. It allows firing with both eyes open, as desired.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
SNS,

Which Leupold scope do you use?

posted Hide Post
I have 67 yearold eyes and i put Skinnere peep sights on my 1886 Chiappa. I can hit consistently pieplate at 100 yds.

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
The whole scout scope concept never appealed to me. I tried it for awhile on my Ruger GSR .308 with a Burris 2.75X heavy plex scout scope, but ended up taking the rear sight off and mounting a 30mm Burris MTAC 1-4X in the traditional scope position. I never liked the "distant" view I had of the ocular lens. I much prefer the ocular lens being closer to my eye and taking up the principal portion of the field of view of my right eye. Whether I'm shooting at 1x or 4x, I mount the rifle with both eyes open. That big ocular view brings the crosshairs into my vision quicker than it does at scout scope distances. I don't know why that is, but its true for me. I am substantially quicker with a traditionally mounted scope than a scope way out there in a scout position.

I don't have that rifle anymore. I do have a Marlin 1895SS .45-70. I've not hunted with this particular 1895, but killed plenty of deer with my previous 1895SS. I alway kept the ranges rather short - under 100 yards, and usually much under that. My current 1895SS wears another Burris MTAC 1-4X. That is a rock solid scope, with exceptionally clear optics, and a untraditional reticle that is very fast to acquire and perfect for the type of hunting I would do with this gun.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
FXII fixed 2 power:

Same setup on a blued 1895:

VXR:

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
had made up my mind to go with the Leupold 2.5x but it is discontinued without a very comparable replacement!!!

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 I plan on putting on my SBL. They also have a 1-6 model too. I have the German #4 reticle which was designed for dangerous game hunting. They also have other reticles available. Great glass with a tritium dot for low light applications.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
SNS,

Which Leupold scope do you use?

I don't know. I put it on there quite a few years ago, and it doesn't get shot much. I'm not home where I can check. Sorry.

It doesn't help selection, but the scope is silver, which is all I could get, on a blued rifle. It looks goofy. It's a low power long eye relief scope, but I can't recall what model. I think maybe FXII, but am not sure.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Thank you SNS.

WARPIG, assuming that is the 2.5x28 I'm looking at the 1.5-4x28 and those wings would work well based off your photos.

What height rings are those?

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I recognize it's not what you asked, but I have a friend who put a Vortex Viper red dot on his, and it has been perfect to 100 yards. Neither of us could hit shit with the irons on it, but we routinely shoot 2" groups with the red dot at 100.

It holds zero, and seems impervious to recoil. It may be worth considering.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Those are some nice thumpers.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I recognize it's not what you asked, but I have a friend who put a Vortex Viper red dot on his, and it has been perfect to 100 yards. Neither of us could hit shit with the irons on it, but we routinely shoot 2" groups with the red dot at 100.

It holds zero, and seems impervious to recoil. It may be worth considering.

Artie,

I don't mind at all and would LOVE to be able to use a simple optic or even irons but my problem is more my eye sight. Without corrective lenses I CANNOT make out a target at 100 yards. A pie plate might as well be a little smudge of color in the distance.

Hopefully I can get some corrective surgery during my time in the Navy but the schedule just hasn't worked out for me yet.

Maybe on my next stint in hawaii.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I see. My eyesight problem is that I can either see the sights with reading glasses (in which case, the target is indistinguishable from the background) OR I can see the target with uncorrected vision, but I can't see both.

I find that if I look through the holographic red dot, I can see the target clearly, and still resolve the dot adequately to shoot. If your problem is distance, and the target is the problem, I understand why this wouldn't work.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post