SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Coolest new gun I have had in a long time
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coolest new gun I have had in a long time Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Statistics must be complete to be effective. The following is a combination of data from the Ballistics by the Inch website and JBM Ballistics. Assumes a 30-grain JHP bullet at sea level at summer temps.

16" barrel
muzzle velocity of 2250 fps
muzzle energy of 338 foot-pounds -- which is in the ballpark of a 9mm handgun

100 yards velocity of 1491 fps
100 yards energy of 148 foot-pounds -- which is only 44% of muzzle energy. The loss in energy indicates the challenges a .22 bullet faces at higher speeds, and as it goes transonic.

2" barrel
muzzle velocity of 1000 fps
muzzle energy of 67 foot-pounds -- which is really low

100 yards velocity of 840 fps
100 yards energy of 47 fps -- which is really low, but 70% of muzzle energy

Thanks. Very good info. So at 100 yards from the CMR30, the energy that a .22magnum has is about equivalent now to a .380acp which is still enough to hurt or kill a person. I am not advocating it as a main SD weapon but it is better than nothing and 30 rounds is very good firepower for such a lightweight package with very little to no recoil. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
So at 100 yards from the CMR30, the energy that a .22magnum has is about equivalent now to a .380acp

Muzzle energy of many 380 ACP loads are around 190 foot pounds, therefore the 22 magnum is noticeably lower at 148 foot pounds. Furthermore, most 22 magnum bullets are extremely light & fragile, and are meant to fragment quickly instead of penetrate. Not an equivalent at all in my book.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post