SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Old Man needs advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Man needs advice Login/Join 
posted
I have an AR15 with a 20 inch barrel and A2 adjustable iron sights on a fixed A2 carrying handle. I am in the process of acquiring an upper with a shorter (but still legal) 5.56 barrel and no carrying handle but a rail on top of the receiver and barrel. I know nothing about all of the new (to me) red dot/optical sights. I need to buy one, but I am confronted by a multitude of choices and price points. The gun will be used for plinking and paper punching out to about 200 yards. It is just for fun and for me to try a newer sighting system. I see red dots, green dots, circles and various reticules. I see a whole bunch of people selling them. I honestly don't know where to start. I have looked thru other people guns briefly at the range and not seen any I thought were better or worse then the others. But I have never directly compared them. I don't want to spend a lot of money but want something that will not fall apart. Under $300.00 would be nice. I know this is a broad topic, but any advice or experience I could benefit from would be much appreciated.

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Under $300 pretty much cuts Aimpoint and Trijicon out of the loop, not that that’s necessarily what you need anyway. I like Sig’s Romeo 4H, pretty versatile little optic and it won’t break the bank. Vortexmakes pretty solid red dots as well. You may not want to go into battle with it, but how many of us are? Good luck!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
In my sample size of 3, I prefer the Strikefire II on my AR to the Romeo on my brother-in-law's (dot seemed to shift on trigger reset Confused ) and the either Bushnell or Burris that's on my boss' AR (dot wasn't a clearly defined, though he had it dialed up for 100yds).

Only downside to me on the Vortex is its size. It's a good bit larger than the other 2 above.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I have been well pleased with the Vortex Spitfire etched reticle scopes...I have two of their 1X and one of the 3X...

The 1X is a circle/dot that can illuminated in red or green or black if no illumination is desired...the 3X is a ranging reticle with the same illumination options...

The downside is that they are scopes and do not co-witness with iron sights...also the eye relief is not as great as with a red dot...

The 1X can be used with both eyes open and the circle/dot is easy to use...

http://www.vortexoptics.com/pr...re-ar-1x-prism-scope

http://www.vortexoptics.com/pr...ebr-556b-moa-reticle

https://www.brownells.com/opti...scope-prod83618.aspx

I also have a Vortex Strikefire red dot on an AR pistol build...I have enjoyed using it (but red dots "bloom" with my old eyes and for me, I just use it for larger targets closer than 100 yards...

http://www.vortexoptics.com/ca...trikefire_II_red_dot

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Get on Palmetto Arms email list, you will get several sale announcements per day.
They often feature the SPARC included in a package with ammo or Magpul magazines.
I picked up the SPARC AR with 10-30rnd. MagPul magazines and free S&H for what just the SPARC would have cost.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: armored,

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are possibly going to be shooting out to 200 yards you will probably be better served getting a magnified optic. Primary Arms (made in China) has a 1-4x24 scope for $120 that will check the box without breaking the bank.

http://www.primaryarms.com/pri...ted-riflescope-pa14x

A lot of companies are bring variable power scopes to market now and, at a minimum, the Primary Arms scope is a low price 'starter scope' and if you outgrow it later you aren’t really out a great deal of money.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What armored said...

I bought my Strikefire with 10 Magpul 30 round magazines for $179 with free shipping from PSA last year...

They run some pretty good sales on their "Daily Deals"...they've cost me a lot of money Big Grin

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of Holosun red dot optics. Lots of models to choose from.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Primary Arms 3X or 5X prismatic ACSS scope. Very nice for the price. Poor man's ACOG, I have a 2.5X and I'm very happy with it.

It's at the price point, it's tough, etched reticle so it can be used without the battery, it is of course eliminated, daytime bright.

They are $250.00 and sometimes go on sale for cheaper.

Also Primary Arms has a veritable power scope in the 1-4X range and 1-6X range, with the ACSS reticle.

I have the 1-6X ACSS reticle scope also and I love it. Mine is the Gen II, but the Gen III is lighter, shorter and has a life time warranty.

It goes for $289.00, I believe that it is a great scope for the money.

It is closer to true 1X then anything Leupold makes. The Primary Arms 1-6X scope I have has very clear glass and great color. The thing really impressed me!

I have seen scopes costing 2or 3 times as much not look as good. Really impressed me.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If we’re referring to variable power conventional scopesights, the Leupold Mark 6 1-6× sight is a true 1× (no magnification) at the bottom end to the best of my eyes’ ability to detect such things. It’s far out of the OP’s price range, but the sight does exist.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i now have 3 romeo 4's

love them.

I also have several vortex, and a trijicon MRO

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.ultradotusa.com/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
primary arms for an inexpensive scope/dot,
I have several of their dots and the work great,

scopes, depends on what you want to do,

I have a Cabelas AR scope (1-4.5x)that I like, and also have a leupold MK AR that I have set up as a match gun (CMP rules on max power you can have)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have a Vortex SparcAR that has seen a lot of honest use. It has held zero perfectly for a couple years now, takes readily available AAA batteries, and is available for under $200 if you shop around.

In general, I prefer low powered variable scopes, but red dots are serviceable.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
For red dots I like the Holosun 5xx series. Ability to have the circle dot or just the dot. Can be pairs with a magnifier if you need. I also love my Primary arms 1-6 ACSS (gen 3). Optics planet usually has sales on both brands, and over on arfcom there is a member you can get a hold of a 10% off code. I got my 1-6 on sale and a $40 e-gift card. Just this past week they had a code for 13% off red dots. I know Holosun also put a primary arms reticle in one of their units.

My friend has the primary arms 1-4 and it’s a nice little scope. For budget, I like Aero precision scope mounts. On my red dots I use Geiselle. (50% off during Black Friday sales).

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i have said this a dozen times on here over the years. You can find a used Aimpoint for the $300 range if you shop hard. It is going to light years better than all the Chicom stuff recommended here. Do yourself a favor and put a wtb add in the sf classifieds. It might be $325 but still a very high quality optic that has proven itself on the battlefield and is made in America. Aimpoint is the answer.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I have a Vortex SparcAR that has seen a lot of honest use. It has held zero perfectly for a couple years now, takes readily available AAA batteries, and is available for under $200 if you shop around.

In general, I prefer low powered variable scopes, but red dots are serviceable.

This guy really puts anything he reviews through the wringer...plus you are not forced to endure pounding music intros with "tactical" themes...he also did a similar review on SIG Romeo and Holosun red dots...might be informative on your purchase of an optic Smile...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/bat27uGFXdw

Jimmy Buffet

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Love the Romeo 5 & Primary Arms Micro Dots

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have this red dot from Primary Arms. It's been on several rifles, been zeroed several times, abd works as well as the Aimpoint it's modeled after. I wouldn't go to war with it, but it can't be beat for range use.

http://www.primaryarms.com/pri...ovable-base-md-rb-ad

For a variable low power scope I'd look at Vortex.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I have an Aimpoint PRO that is awesome, on a good sale it’s $350 though. 8” plates at 200yrd are fairly easy to hit.

I’m looking to switch to low power scopes, but they are more money.

My budget red dots are Vortex Venoms, $200 or so. I really like them, I wish I had got a 6moa dot rather than the 3moa and that they went a little brighter for sunny days. The 6moa would probably help for brightness. Good sight on both a pistol and rifle. 6moa dot may be too large for distance though.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post