SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Old Man needs advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Man needs advice Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have some astigmatism and find red dot sights a bit of a challenge as the dot tends to bloom/starburst... but for some reason I do okay with Acogs. I have an SWFA 1-6x24 that I really like and the magnification comes in handy with my not so young eyes...

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
It might be $325 but still a very high quality optic that has proven itself on the battlefield and is made in America.

Made in America?
I thought they only had two manufacturing facilities in Sweden.

Based upon what I own, for under $300 a SIG Romeo 5 or Vortex Sparc II should serve one well for range use.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
While my time with it is limited I'm very happy with the Bushnell TRS-25 I received as a gift ( THANKS RogueJSK).

You can get one for about $50 on Amazon. For another $10-$15 you can get a mount that will allow either absolute or lower 1/3 co-witness.

Example of a mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only problem I see is it's a 3MOA dot, and at 200 yards that will cover a 6" circle on your target.

With regard to the SIG Romeo sights, as far as I've been able to determine they are "rebadged" Holosun sights. So why pay extra just to have a different name on the side?

I was looking for a very inexpensive sight, so that Bushnell TRS-25 was perfect for my purposes, even if it hadn't been a gift. However, with a $300 budget I'd have been going for this: https://www.amazon.com/HOLOSUN...s=holosun+circle+dot Although I'd get a different mount, because I prefer absolute co-witness. I also prefer the circle/dot reticle, which that sight has.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DMF,

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are a veteran, Vortex thanks you with a 40% discount off their MSRP. They also ship for free for any order over $100. I suspect you can find something from their full line of optics.

Are they the best? I don't know but I have had good service from several of their products over the years.

In the interest of full disclosure, they are a Wisconsin based company and I lived there before moving to Arizona.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If the enemy is in range, so are you...

Posts: 185 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5900 | Location: southern california | Registered: April 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try the Sig Romeo 5. Can be had for around $130.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may want to check if you have astigmatism or not, if not proceed. I picked up a Romeo 5 new from Brownell's on special, but was thinking they sent me a broken one, until I realized it was my eyes (astigmatism) that caused the "starburst" effect. It has been mentioned on threads that prism scopes are better for people with that condition, but they are a bit heavier.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
sorry steve22, you are correct. Aimpoint is not made in the US. Nonetheless, not chicom like everything else discussed in this thread. And a true, battlefield tested optic and all the chicom is no where near in the same class. And as I mentioned can be purchased used in the op's price range. Sweden ain't all bad as we know Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not "EVERYTHING ELSE DISCUSSED IN THIS THREAD" is chicom.

Please keep in mind Ironworker stated, The gun will be used for plinking and paper punching out to about 200 yards. It is just for fun and for me to try a newer sighting system."

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Posts: 185 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Ambush, If not "everything", darn near chicom or very similar in origin.

A used Aimpoint can be used for recreation as well. I know many buy these cheap imports and they work. If give a choice I will not go that route on a firearm I own.

posted Hide Post
Now, I can agree with that statement. I own a couple of Aimpoint products and think they are great. No argument there...

And, I stay away from chicom as much as I am able. I hate those bustards. And, I do not have any use for google, amazon, facebook, PayPal, etc.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
OP, there is an add in the classifieds now for used Aimpoints. Check it out.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I haven't really seen anyone ask, how big is the target you are shooting at?

I realize it's 200 yards, but is it the size of an apple or the size of a pie-plate?

If you are wanting to stay with-in that MOA of accuracy that the gun is capable of ... a red-dot may not serve your purposes and you may want to consider something more along the lines of an optic with a cross-hair?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all that replied. I talked to a friend who is both younger and more tactical then me. He has several ARs with a variety of sights on them. We are planning a range day soon.

Old Rugged Cross, thank you for pointing out the ad. I think I will wait until I try several things before I buy.

Kimber Kid, the gun is just for plinking. No particular size target in mind.

I see all the pictures of troops and cops with these kind of sights and thought I should try one.

Once again, thank you to everyone that took the time to reply.

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
I talked to a friend who is both younger and more tactical then me. He has several ARs with a variety of sights on them. We are planning a range day soon.

I see all the pictures of troops and cops with these kind of sights and thought I should try one.

You should definitely try different sights. There's nothing like hands on experience with optics.

What works for "tactical" folks, troops, and cops may work for you. Or it may not. You should consider your expectations for target types, sizes, accuracy, and ease/time to acquire target.

Our eyesight inevitably deteriorates as we age. Irons become harder to focus on. Red dots may become fuzzy. Night vision goes south. Contrast and colors may become less clear. I recommend considering low power variable optics, something in the 1-4x or 1-5x range. At your price point you won't be looking at Schmidt & Bender, Nightforce ATACR, or Tangent Theta. No big deal. Carbine and 3-gun competitors have been putting value line scopes through the paces for years, giving them more abuse in season than the average person will do over a lifetime.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
FYI- Romeo5 for $129.99 shipped.

http://www.osagecountyguns.com...endy&campaign=051118

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post