SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What was it that happened with the classic Sig 556 Rifles?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was it that happened with the classic Sig 556 Rifles? Login/Join 
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted
I seemed to have missed it and I'm not able to find many specifics on it (other than a lot of folks being unhappy), but what was the story with Sig and no longer selling or supporting the classic 556 models?
Cost vs producing AR's was my first guess...

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Various quality control issues, multiple generations, Sig wanting to move onto the “improved” Sig556xi (which had a shorter lifetime than the previous 556 series), lousy trigger, but the main issue was probably them being expensive compared to the glut of ARs out there.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sig Promised caliber & barrel modularity with the XI. They delivered the rifles & failed to deliver on the kits. Seemed like an predatory program exercise in advance of the MCR platform. The triggers on the 556 were not without lament but can be adjust to suit one’s preference. They are of robust construction & perform well. I have two 552 SBR’s I’ll never part with...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The whole 556 project was a debacle from start to finish. To call it a disappointment would be an understatement. I’ll stick to Swiss 55x rifles.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2315 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one new long time ago, it is a great shooter, never had an ftf. I was surprised that Hickok45 shot one and loved the heck out of it. I will never part with it but would like to have a parts kit

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
The whole 556 project was a debacle from start to finish. To call it a disappointment would be an understatement. I’ll stick to Swiss 55x rifles.

This. Who remembers those "The time has come" ads?

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monk:
This. Who remembers those "The time has come" ads?
Yup, that got me to buy one.

Never had an issue but sold it for ARs after a year.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one time I trusted SIG. Never more after the mess of 556 rifles. Promises made, never kept. NO attempt at working the issues and making it possible for owners to feel confident they could continue to run the guns for some period. Me personally I have a pile of them so I can keep them running forever without support from SIG. But the poor sucker with just one or a few is in deep trouble. The fact that they have no public remorse on this debacle irritates me every time it comes up.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
At one time I trusted SIG. Never more after the mess of 556 rifles. Promises made, never kept. NO attempt at working the issues and making it possible for owners to feel confident they could continue to run the guns for some period. Me personally I have a pile of them so I can keep them running forever without support from SIG. But the poor sucker with just one or a few is in deep trouble. The fact that they have no public remorse on this debacle irritates me every time it comes up.

Agreed, but a correction. SIG is a Swiss company. Sigarms, then Sig Sauer USA are not SIG, but Exeter sure did pimp the SIG name to imply products from Exeter were on par with those from Neuhausen. Exeter served up a big sloppy turd and worked to convince us that it was an ice cream sundae.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2315 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The triggers on them are the same as the Swiss versions...not sure who could call it "crappy". Far nicer than a bone-stock USGI AR15 trigger and it's adjustable to boot.

I think the super heavy Israeli furniture didn't help and frankly, an AR15 is a cheaper, better balanced rifle. Still...I love the 55x.

I've sold all but one US-made 556 and I've had far too many. Reason? I have all Swiss versions now. And, this one is "unique" and not easily sold LOL. All Swiss parts added to it including the rear diopter welded to the rail.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Agreed, but a correction. SIG is a Swiss company. Sigarms, then Sig Sauer USA are not SIG, but Exeter sure did pimp the SIG name to imply products from Exeter were on par with those from Neuhausen. Exeter served up a big sloppy turd and worked to convince us that it was an ice cream sundae.

I agree completely. I found it particularly disingenuous when they came out with their "551-A1" version which like the "M11-A1" IMO, is a shabby attempt to cash in on the names of the genuine article in order to pass off a limp-dick copy thereof.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
The triggers are excellent I think. Gotta know what's happening and they are predicable and useful. You can set it where you want, you pull back till the trigger touches the plunger, and then break. It's phenominal I think. I agree Sig failed us on the rifle. It was like halfway there. Not a terrible gun, but light years from the real deal. The 556 pistol which is like the 553 is the one I think they did a pretty good job on and the one I still have.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

Like that. So that rail is Swiss? Is it a continuous rail to the rear of the receiver? Can't tell for sure. And the barrel is fluted? That paint looks great. Well done sir. Best looking 556 I think I've ever seen.

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Thanks, it was supposed to be alpenflage camo but too many colors and the rifle had to be redone (it was not adhering properly).

fluted barrel? None of my Swiss SIG's have fluted barrels.

Yes, that's a one-piece handguard/rail combo with weldment for the proper Swiss diopter. It's a pretty slick setup...I've since swapped to a grey gas block and front sight and cut the one-piece rail so I can run a normal handguard on it. All the furniture is Swiss...the rail, not sure. It's been modified and haven't been able to tell what it started as besides a factory quad rail.

The plastic is all green so as it wears, it will add character.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite rifles but with Sigs lack of support and no parts I opted to sell mine.
I do have the 522 that I’ll always keep.

I like the heavy front end compared to the AR15.
Plus these rifles are ohhh so smooth and no AR twang.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Thanks, it was supposed to be alpenflage camo but too many colors and the rifle had to be redone (it was not adhering properly).

fluted barrel? None of my Swiss SIG's have fluted barrels.

Yes, that's a one-piece handguard/rail combo with weldment for the proper Swiss diopter. It's a pretty slick setup...I've since swapped to a grey gas block and front sight and cut the one-piece rail so I can run a normal handguard on it. All the furniture is Swiss...the rail, not sure. It's been modified and haven't been able to tell what it started as besides a factory quad rail.

The plastic is all green so as it wears, it will add character.

My eyes must be playing tricks because it looks like there are flutes in the barrel. Getting old.

So that rail is custom made using a factory option like the Troy or Samson that has the receiver rail attached?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
quote:
quote:

I agree completely. I found it particularly disingenuous when they came out with their "551-A1" version which like the "M11-A1" IMO, is a shabby attempt to cash in on the names of the genuine article in order to pass off a limp-dick copy thereof.

My 551A1 isn’t a Swiss 551, and never will be, but it runs fine and does the same job as the real thing that costs five times as much.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have got a very early 556 = serial # in 1400 range. Purchased new in mid 2008. Swiss internals. Trigger is very good and the rifle is very accurate with heavier loads. The heavier the better.

Cons - Its a bit heavy.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
^^^^^Yep. Just like my 551A1. It's been a great shooter and I wouldn't trade it. I picked up a bunch of spare parts a couple of years back so I should be able to keep it running for some time.

topsail road restaurants

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
<Snip>
My eyes must be playing tricks because it looks like there are flutes in the barrel. Getting old.

I thought it was fluted at first as well, its just the lighting.

Of my 556's, I got one of the early pistols which were rumored at the time to be made by SIG, however I think at best they may have had SIG bolts and barrels ... I don't know about that, but what I do know is that it was much smoother out of the box than either of my 2 earlier 556's, and while I still have the original 2 they are safe queens while this one makes it to the range almost as often as I do.

There is no doubt that the 556 could never hold a candle to a genuine 55X ... I didn't understand this until I bought a 552, then 551 and finally a 550.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post