SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Slabside M16 - was the USAF the only one to use?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slabside M16 - was the USAF the only one to use? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
This popped up from a question about the rifles used in the movie Full Metal Jacket.

Did any service other than the USAF use slabside M16s, particularly in Vietnam?

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The earliest M16s as used by Army Special Forces were true slabsides (Colt 601/602). Things like magazine release shrouds and forward assists weren't added to Army rifles until later (Colt 603, adopted as the M16A1).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Air Force initially used semi-slabside M16s (Colt 604s), which had no forward assist but a partially fenced lower, with a raised ridge between the ejection port dust cover and the mag release. (The USAF 604 eventually incorporated a fully fenced lower, but still no forward assist.)

Some of these early semi-slabside 604s were also used by the Navy, mainly seen in images of their Brown Water troops.

And there are occasional photos of Marines using similar semi-slabside early 604s:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Regarding Full Metal Jacket, some of the actors used 603s/M16A1s, which was the more commonly used M16 by the USMC in Vietnam.

Whereas other actors used USAF-style semi-slabside early 604s, which while not as common, were occasionally used by the USMC as shown in the post above.

And sometimes an actor switches back and forth, likely between something like a 603 dummy rifle and 604 blank-firing rifle. Note that Cowboy has a 603 in the first image in this post, but is shown firing a 604 here:

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Anyone else surprised to see Rogue chiming in less than 15 minutes after the question was asked with undoubtedly impeccable answers? Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come on Rogue, at least give the rest of a chance to get some wrong information out there Roll Eyes

Wink

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My bad. I'll try.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Thread drift...

This guy/scene, full of gun problems and continuity errors. Big Grin

When he's done shooting the bolt and charging handle are back. Worn locking notch on the upper?
(I've been there, repeatedly whacked in the nose with the charging handle.)

A cut or two later his magazine is gone.
Then it comes back and he see him drop it and reload.

Shots from the front he's shooting right handed.
Shots from the rear he's shooting left handed.

Anyway.... back on topic. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Come on Rogue, at least give the rest of a chance to get some wrong information out there Roll Eyes

Wink

He did give us a full 42 minutes before finishing the three posts with multiple, and excellent, photos supplied in each. We just need to be THAT much faster. Me? I'm just glad he's here.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnimalMother88
posted Hide Post
I served in the Air Force. When we deployed in 2006 with a bunch of guard guys from all over, many of them were issued GAU-5 without forward assists. These little rifles were old leftovers that were still FA, not burst.

I too was in the Air Guard and was issued a GUU 5-P. It was a FA, Fun rifle. Most of these rifles were a bastardized mixed bag of parts that were put back into service. I'll look for some pictures.

Posts: 1338 | Location: Indy | Registered: January 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I like the carbines the ARVN troops have, particularly the M1A1 the guy on the left carries. They're all oriented the wrong way to see if any have selectors.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Those aren't ARVN soldiers. They're indigenous Mike Force irregulars, operating with 5th Special Forces Group.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
if you enlarge the pic, it looks like the paratrooper carbine and the smiling guy have selectors on the rifles

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Those aren't ARVN soldiers. They're indigenous Mike Force irregulars, operating with 5th Special Forces Group.

Montagnards.

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crash:
Montagnards.

Close... They're Nung.