SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My 522 is driving me nuts.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 522 is driving me nuts. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
I've had it for years. For .22LR, super reliable. On average one or two of 500 rounds I have an issue with. Usually 50/50 it's a round doesn't go bang or stovepipe, maybe 60/40 no bang.

All my mags are 3ish years old, 1st gen, marked SIG. Within 2 weekends ALL of them had feedlips crack. Bought five new ones from BDM. They no longer make original ones. Failure to feed after failure to feed. It appeared that the rim was dragging on the rough metal feed lips of newer mags.

Emailed with BDM and initial reply was gun problems. I said no it worked flawlessly with old mags, now horrible. She replies back and gave me a number to call. I called at 6pm expecting to leave a VM for someone. She had given me owner's personal number. He told me I must have gotten older batch of newer product and they now polish/smooth the lips. Offers to replace for free. I mail off the old ones and within a week of sending had my new ones. It did take a while to get original RMA# from them, but once I did turn around was great.

Last weekend go to shoot rimfire match with it to test it out. Stovepipes right and left, couldn't get more than a couple rounds off. This time it appears the opposite problem, lips are too wide and bullet flips up before the ramp or as soon as it hits it. I left the match pissed after the second stage.

I'm 99% certain it's mags but not sure if my older ones are in good enough shape to test the theory. Could I be missing something, or are you guys having problems with the newer mags?

Thanks.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I'm local to you and have a bunch of polymer feed lip BDM's as well as an original or two I think. You're welcome to borrow a couple to try out. I've also got two BDM drums.

Side note...might want to try some different ammo too, just as a test. Mine's been flawless with Federal bulk pack.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not that it’s any help now, but whenever I encounter magazines with rough or sharp feed lips, the first thing I do is smooth and polish them with my trusty Dremel. I’ve seldom had chambering problems with rough magazines, but it does keep them from chewing case rims so much.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post