SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Going Rat Blasting Tonight
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going Rat Blasting Tonight Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Marzy, damn Son that looks like FUN!!!!!!! I'm in!!!!!! Will my 458 Socom work? Suppressed of course Cool

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Marzy, damn Son that looks like FUN!!!!!!! I'm in!!!!!! Will my 458 Socom work? Suppressed of course Cool

You don't want to kill all the rats with one shot.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31378 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
After watching that video, it made me wish that semi-auto pellet guns were more of a thing. A .20 or .22 pellet gun would be great for that situation, but single loading would slow you down quite a bit. With an air gun you can have an integral suppressor without jumping through any hoops, and the ammo can be even cheaper than .22 LR. The problem seems to be that, even if you used a pre-charged air gun so you didn't have to cock or pump it, the single loading would still slow you down quite a lot. I guess maybe the scope might not be rated for air guns, and that could also be a problem. Still, semi-auto pellet guns...seems like they would be great at that rat control job.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
After watching that video, it made me wish that semi-auto pellet guns were more of a thing. - Bret

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m...o_PCP_Air_Rifle/4334

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
We looked into those and discovered they get around 40 rounds off before the tank is spent and you REALLY need a scuba tank handy.

The .22 is MUCH more efficient.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
We looked into those and discovered they get around 40 rounds off before the tank is spent and you REALLY need a scuba tank handy.

The .22 is MUCH more efficient.

One of the best tactical shooters around here has an air rifle background. One of his favorite rifles is .177 caliber Rapid Air Weapons ("RAW") -- a bolt action PCP with 10 shot rotary magazines. It's my understanding that at 50 yards his RAW is more accurate than some Remington 40-X .22lr rifles. Evidently the RAW rifle holds enough air for 100 shots, and is ludicrously quiet.

Of course, the RAW rifle is really expensive. I have no idea how difficult it is to fill the PCP system, in the event a given night's rat blasting is really productive.

Mars -- ultimately, it appears your setup with lower-powered 22lr ammo works pretty well, and at an acceptable cost.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the air rifles cost up to 10 times what a Marlin .22 does, then you have to add the cost of the NV equipment, plus lighting and lasers. The NV's factory lighting is very poor for <50ft in work, so a wide angle T-20 has to be added into the mix. You will easily have $2500 in a rig that is going to get beat around all night.

A bolt action .22 is simple and reliable.

I am only using expensive rifles is because it's all I have at the moment.

We would LOVE some semiauto air rifles, each in a different configuration for the different environments encountered. Really close in merely requires a red light and laser, less than 50ft is perfect for a NV camera and ir laser/illuminator, then over 50, the NV scope REALLY comes into play.

Now we'd have close to ten grand invested in making .25¢ a rat.

I really need to get someone doing the video work as we shoot as it's a hassle to remember to hit the record button and shoot on the NV scope, but every time I get someone lined up, they discover we start at 10:00PM and all of a sudden "something comes up".

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

have you tried Aquila Colibri?

https://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire/

I FINALLY found some of the 500fps Super Calibri in North Georgia.

A gun store in Dawsonville of all places not even AO had them. They said that they hadn't even seen the 420fps in years.

I bought 10 boxes and we will see how well they work soon. They were right at $7.00 a box of 50.

Ouch.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...ain-lead-solid-point

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They're finally back in stock.

At least I can order them for Nen now if the store is out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mars_Attacks,

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
No rats today, but we DID find a hornets nest. Big Grin

Sorry for the shaky video, the nest was 75 yards out at maximum zoom and I was WAY too chickenshit to get any closer.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Ygc3yfT6EMQ

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Popping the hornets was an absolute hoot! Big Grin
Wife ain't too happy about her bird house though...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post