SIGforum
AR-10: Now need some OPTICS suggestions, post 3

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/2190077034

September 23, 2017, 10:05 PM
Oat_Action_Man
AR-10: Now need some OPTICS suggestions, post 3
I'm finally on the point of buying a barrel for my Mega MATEN build and have a few questions.

I am intending to get a Rainier Arms barrel and they recently added a "Gen 2" DPMS barrel which uses a different extension. I assume my MATEN (probably got it 3 years ago) is not one of these new "Gen 2s", but I want to confirm.

2nd question: I'm going with an 18" and I'd prefer a rifle length gas system as the MATEN has extended rifle length handguards and I am likely to get an adjustable gas block.

Rainier's Ultramatch barrels only come in an intermediate length gas on the 18"; their Match barrel is available in an 18" rifle length.

Am I losing anything going from rifle length to intermediate? I'm looking to mitigate recoil and of course getting to the gas block is important.

For whatever reason, the Ultramatch is also 3 oz lighter than the Match (extra flutes, I think), so that's a plus, albeit nearly twice the price.

Final question: what adjustable gas block?

Rainier's Ultramatch offers their adjustable unit which also means free install upon purchase (and it's cheaper than most other options).

Is the Rainier adjustable block any good?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oat_Action_Man,

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.
September 23, 2017, 10:51 PM
SigM4
1) I can't say with certainty, but I'm almost 100% the Megas are not Gen 2 spec.

2) What's your intended purpose with this rifle? Me personally, on an 18" barrel I think the difference is negligable. Others may disagree, but I think the difference you'll notice most is the one you've already noted, getting to the gas block.

3) Didn't even know Ranier was making their own adjustable blocks now. I have a Superlative Arms Bleed-off AGB on my SBR'd .308; I've been very happy with it thus far.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
October 07, 2017, 09:02 AM
Oat_Action_Man
So barrel acquired. I've got most of my other parts mapped out, but there's one I'm stymied on: the optics.

I'm going to need lots of suggestions here, since I've been out of the optics game for over a decade, probably.

18" barrel. My range unfortunately only goes out to 100, but I can get to one that goes to 300 and I'd say getting to a 600 to 800 yard range occasionally would be possible.

Can I get suggestions for optics and mounts to go out to 600 (maybe 800)? DMR type shooting. Preferably not going to break the bank (i.e. under $1000). Probably won't get the gun built at this pace until summer '18, so I've got time to save, though.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.
October 07, 2017, 10:38 AM
offgrid
In that price range, suggest to look at a Burris XTR 4-20.