SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    9mm Stick Mags for AR15
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm Stick Mags for AR15 Login/Join 
Picture of Sourkraut
posted
Many folks have stated that the ASC brand 9mm Stick Mags are horrible. I have a factory built CMMG 9mm SBR; I use ASC Mags (blued Stainless with orange follower) all the time and have never had an issue.

What is wrong with them: i.e., jam, not seat, failure...?

If not ASC, what is the consensus concerning a better mag? (I’m reluctant to change since I’ve not had issues but would like to know).

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I use Metalform mags as they have a stellar reputation for my CMMG 9mm. I do have 6 ASC 32 rd mags just like yours that have not given me any trouble so far.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 705 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg Cote LLC (member here) has Metalforms (same as OE Colts)

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/ar...orm-magazines-c-175/

I hate to load mags for Colt 9mm AR without one of these, really a great investment you would not regret.

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/ma...ula-lu16b-p-715.html

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
If I’m not wrong, I was told that the PSA Colt mags are made by Metalform. The various outings I’ve had with them have been perfect, even with a binary trigger.
They are also a good price when PSA has them on sale.

EDIT: PSA says they’re made by Metalform in their description

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I stocked up on the PSA ones when they were on sale. No issues at all.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have a Stag brand 9mm AR and I have 10rd, 20rd, & 32rd mags with the ASC name.
No problems in the 2 years I have been using them.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I have not had any problems with the ASC mags in my Colt.

Posts: 1202 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the ASC reliability gets mixed up with C Products quality issues. I believe I read somewhere that both companies had a relationship somehow, maybe ASC evolved out of or was started by former C Product employees. Anyway, I have both Metalform and ASC colt style mags and both work as they should without any issues.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Metalform, and only Metalform.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Metalform, and only Metalform.

I get it....folks like metalform.....

No disrespect, but that doesn’t fully answer my question. What is wrong with ASC Mags? So far, no one responding has a beef with them.....

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Greg Cote LLC (member here) has Metalforms (same as OE Colts)

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/ar...orm-magazines-c-175/

I hate to load mags for Colt 9mm AR without one of these, really a great investment you would not regret.

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/ma...ula-lu16b-p-715.html

Yup, Greg is a great guy and I have purchased from him numerous times.

+1 on the loader!

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
If you know someone with a mill, UZI mags are a snap to convert.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
I've had dozens of ASC mags and never an issue out of them. I had a few C-products mags that sucked, but ASC are solid. I also had a half dozen PSA/Brownells marked metalform, but they were not cost effective for me when I got the same performance at $13 each

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just want to know why I am always the loser in these things. Some guy tries some caliber conversion and it works mint, me I can't get the other caliber slide to even go on the gun.
Such is the case with ASC mags. I also have dozens and dozens of them. In a standard Colt 9mm 6951 I find the failure rate is about 2 of 10. The failure rate of metalform mags has been 0. But given the price difference its worth tossing 2 in the trash if you can buy ASC inexpensively. And this is the good news if they are going to fail they do so right away, so if you use them and they are GTG it won't change.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I had some C-products (garbage in my DDLES / YHM 9MM AR SBR) and ASC - I only had 4 but one was junk, FTF, etc.

The longer I'm around, I value my time and ammo more than trying to get some second rate junk to work and 'save' some money.

9MM cost about $0.20 a round. If you load up 32 ($6.40) and the mag gives you problems, then you tweak it and try it again (another $6.40), how much have you really saved...?

JMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I had some C-products (garbage in my DDLES / YHM 9MM AR SBR) and ASC - I only had 4 but one was junk, FTF, etc.

The longer I'm around, I value my time and ammo more than trying to get some second rate junk to work and 'save' some money.

9MM cost about $0.20 a round. If you load up 32 ($6.40) and the mag gives you problems, then you tweak it and try it again (another $6.40), how much have you really saved...?

JMO.

Not to mention, if you are patient enough, then you can probably catch PSA's on sale cheaper than ASC. I paid $129.00 for 10 - 32 round PSA's shipped last year.

Posts: 1219 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I just want to know why I am always the loser in these things. Some guy tries some caliber conversion and it works mint, me I can't get the other caliber slide to even go on the gun.
Such is the case with ASC mags. I also have dozens and dozens of them. In a standard Colt 9mm 6951 I find the failure rate is about 2 of 10. The failure rate of metalform mags has been 0. But given the price difference its worth tossing 2 in the trash if you can buy ASC inexpensively. And this is the good news if they are going to fail they do so right away, so if you use them and they are GTG it won't change.

What problems did you have with the ASC Mags?

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
In a standard Colt 9mm 6951 I find the failure rate is about 2 of 10. The failure rate of metalform mags has been 0. But given the price difference its worth tossing 2 in the trash if you can buy ASC inexpensively. And this is the good news if they are going to fail they do so right away, so if you use them and they are GTG it won't change.

I would gladly pay the shipping if you want send those "trashed" mags to me!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
I have a Stag brand 9mm AR and I have 10rd, 20rd, & 32rd mags with the ASC name.
No problems in the 2 years I have been using them.

Stag mags are ASC mags.

I have mostly PSA Metalforms, a few ASC which work just fine too.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What problems did you have with the ASC Mags?

They don't retain the top round when partially loaded (again this is only a small fraction of them). In our tactical matches we download the mag, so you load it, put it your mag carrier, then when you grab that mag and attempt to load it the top round is problematic. I'm guessing they have a spring tension issue sometimes but its just a guess or maybe a feed lip variance. But in any case I never have the issue with metalform. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post