SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Light weight side charging AR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light weight side charging AR Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
This will be a pack rifle. Pencil barrel ok. Like to stay $1200 or below so no exotics. Ideas?

I have a SIG M400 that is right at 8lbs. That’s too heavy IMO for a 556 rifle.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
If weight savings is the goal, reciprocating side charger will be the lightest. Most of the side chargers like ASA and New Frontier/Gibbz are billet, and heavier than a standard receiver cut for side charging.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Yes it is a Keltec, but it easily meets your criteria.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I built a couple of side-chargers before the election. I wasn't aiming for light weight but it could be easily done.

Bear Creek Arsenal in NC has a good price on a reciprocating side-charger. SKU is URBCG-SC15.
I've probably put 2,000 rounds through one of the two with no issues. If you are not in a hurry watch for their sales.

Looks like this-

Here's the lightest one of the two in final stages (didn't have trigger guard yet).

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I'd been looking at the Gibbz system for a rifle build, mainly because I want the charging handle on the left to be off-hand friendly and not reciprocating. Its milled upper receiver is about 6 oz. or so heavier than a typical forged unit. For a rifle-length "distance gun" AR I'm not particularly worried about the weight (though I haven't decided if I want to use their lower), but it's not an ideal choice for a lightweight build.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Yes it is a Keltec, but it easily meets your criteria.

This also has an under folding stock, and integrated bipod. For a backpacking gun it is light, small, and versatile.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Does anybody offer a NiB carrier that's set up for a side charger?

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Youngs BCG, chrome or nickel boron, I don't remember, around 250.00 6 years ago.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
^^^^
Youngs BCG, chrome or nickel boron, I don't remember, around 250.00 6 years ago.

Thanks, $120 now (chrome) but out of stock.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post