SIGforum
Light weight side charging AR

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/2180053344

June 20, 2018, 06:42 PM
smithnsig
Light weight side charging AR
This will be a pack rifle. Pencil barrel ok. Like to stay $1200 or below so no exotics. Ideas?

I have a SIG M400 that is right at 8lbs. That’s too heavy IMO for a 556 rifle.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...
June 20, 2018, 06:56 PM
Zacsquatch
If weight savings is the goal, reciprocating side charger will be the lightest. Most of the side chargers like ASA and New Frontier/Gibbz are billet, and heavier than a standard receiver cut for side charging.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up
June 20, 2018, 08:15 PM
craigcpa
Yes it is a Keltec, but it easily meets your criteria.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫
June 20, 2018, 08:46 PM
Rinehart
I built a couple of side-chargers before the election. I wasn't aiming for light weight but it could be easily done.

Bear Creek Arsenal in NC has a good price on a reciprocating side-charger. SKU is URBCG-SC15.
I've probably put 2,000 rounds through one of the two with no issues. If you are not in a hurry watch for their sales.

Looks like this-

Here's the lightest one of the two in final stages (didn't have trigger guard yet).

June 20, 2018, 09:23 PM
soggy_spinout
I'd been looking at the Gibbz system for a rifle build, mainly because I want the charging handle on the left to be off-hand friendly and not reciprocating. Its milled upper receiver is about 6 oz. or so heavier than a typical forged unit. For a rifle-length "distance gun" AR I'm not particularly worried about the weight (though I haven't decided if I want to use their lower), but it's not an ideal choice for a lightweight build.
June 21, 2018, 11:19 AM
DSgrouse
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Yes it is a Keltec, but it easily meets your criteria.

This also has an under folding stock, and integrated bipod. For a backpacking gun it is light, small, and versatile.
June 22, 2018, 02:29 PM
Expert308
Does anybody offer a NiB carrier that's set up for a side charger?
June 26, 2018, 09:50 PM
sunburn
^^^^
Youngs BCG, chrome or nickel boron, I don't remember, around 250.00 6 years ago.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.
June 27, 2018, 04:50 PM
Expert308
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
^^^^
Youngs BCG, chrome or nickel boron, I don't remember, around 250.00 6 years ago.

Thanks, $120 now (chrome) but out of stock.