SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Romanian M69 .22LR Military Training Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Romanian M69 .22LR Military Training Rifle Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
My grandpa bought me and all of the grandsons one back in the 80s sometime IIRC

They’re good little shooters, mines sitting in the back of the safe right now

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
My grandpa bought me and all of the grandsons one back in the 80s sometime IIRC

They’re good little shooters, mines sitting in the back of the safe right now

I would love to know how many are sitting around now, mostly forgotten about. Heck, I’d never even heard of them until I found mine, and by then the gunshop owner could barely tell me anything about it!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4573 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Well, I finally got around to taking the M69 to the indoor range today to give it a test run, and was very pleased!

Shooting at 25 yards at small-bore rifle targets, it was plenty easy to keep a 5-shot magazine well inside the black using the open sights, and that is doing well for me since the sights were not much more than a blur with my eyesight as it is. No doubt if I put optics on it, I could easily drill out the bullseye at that range with this thing! I was also extremely pleased that function was 100% with zero jams or misfeeds at all, so I'm very happy on that front also.

Clearly if I keep just the factory sights, I have a nice little small game rifle with minute-of-squirrel-head accuracy out to 20 or 25 yards, and I won't have to worry about the finish on it if I don't redo it as I've been thinking about. Even if I do, it's still a nice woods gun! Big Grin

Now I can order more magazines for it and not worry whether I'm wasting my money on them. Wink

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4573 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Put a scope on the little Romanian rifle a few days ago and finally got it to the indoor range today to zero it and see what the rifle is really capable of doing, at least out to 25 yards anyway. To say I'm happy with the results would be an understatement!

This thing is a real shooter, despite the ugly duckling looks and low price tag! I only took two types of ammo with me today, but it shot both equally well with no discernible difference in accuracy, and ZERO flyers the entire time (100 rounds down range)! I shot one box each of CCI Standard Velocity, and Aguila "Super Extra" Standard Velocity. With either one, the rifle will put all 5 shots from the magazine into one ragged hole at 25 yards, as long as I do my job. Even with a not-so-steady rest to work with, and a guy right next to me shooting two AR-15 pistols, which put the muzzle blast maybe 5 feet from my head, all of my groups were small enough to be covered by a quarter (due to me weaving or bobbing from the explosions next to my head), and the vast majority could be covered by a dime!

Next time out I'll try some of the other ammo I have just to see what it does, and eventually I'll put a much better scope on it (this one was a freebie, but it's good for now), maybe a Nikon or something similar that's designed specifically for .22 rimfire, but for now I couldn't possibly be any happier with this rifle! It definitely out-shoots the CZ 453 American that I used to have, and that is a hard thing for me to admit...

Bill R.
North Alabama

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how to mount it (11mm dovetail, right?), but it might be kind of cool to see if you can scare up a 3.5x or 4x PSL scope to go with it.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I'm not sure how to mount it (11mm dovetail, right?), but it might be kind of cool to see if you can scare up a 3.5x or 4x PSL scope to go with it.
It required a good bit of modification to the rings to fit the rail as I didn’t want to make any permanent mods to the rifle itself.

I made spacers out of 2mm thick brass stock and glued them inside the ring base with JB Weld after filing matching angles for a good fit. Next I had to file a LARGE 45 degree angle into the bottom right side of the back ring to provide clearance for the bolt handle to operate and move rearward.

Next time I need to pull the scope for some reason I’ll touchup paint the work since I now know it works, but for now I’ll leave it alone since it’s zeroed in!

Bill R.
North Alabama