SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    A2 to A4 and more
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A2 to A4 and more Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
I have an A2 Rock River Service Rifle upper. I want to change to A4.

Is it practical to swap in a A4 receiver in place of the A2 ?

Is it possible to change the gas block/sight to the low weaver gasblock for removable front sight?

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Might be cheaper to just buy another upper.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
Might be cheaper to just buy another upper.

Not to mention more versatile. Definitely less of a pain in the ass. If you have no interest in having a 20" barrel anymore, sell the whole upper and put the cash towards what you want.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you only want to change from an A2 upper to an A4 flattop, you can buy a a stripped upper receiver for about $50 and swap all your parts over. If you have the tools, it's a 15 minute job. If you are really looking for a completely different configuration, then buy another upper.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I did it to a Bushmaster set up for Service rifle last year,

swapped uppers, cut the FSB flat, and kept the float tube and A2 handguards,

took maybe 30 minutes (float tubes are a PITA sometimes and cutting the FSB off and rounding it out including a refinish to the part cut)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I converted both my service rifle A2 .223 upper and a 22lr upper into A4's. I replaced the A2 front sights with screw on railed gas blocks. I think it cost me less than $100.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the tools, but with the low cost of complete uppers from PSA, I’d probably just get the complete upper that floated my boat as opposed to a receiver only swap.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
AR's are like Lego's ...
With the proper tools you can do about anything you want ... however I did find that with a 7.62x39 and the A4 with the detachable handle/rear sight, you need a taller front post to get on paper with the irons at 100 ... and with mine, the post had to be at the top of its adjustment to be on paper at 100 ... I ended up going back to the A2 ... then I had an extra upper and had to build another gun!

It's funny how things work out like that sometimes!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post