SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 516 uppers on clearance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 516 uppers on clearance Login/Join 
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted
If anybody is looking for a great piston upper receiver, SIG has the 516 on clearance.
516 uppers

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I guess they dumped the 516 altogether.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Sounds like they will continue support as they have lots of police and military contracts. They have just dropped commercial sales.

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a chance on that. Just look at every other rifle they discontinued and the support situation.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c_zielsdorf:
quote:

Sounds like they will continue support as they have lots of police and military contracts. They have just dropped commercial sales.

Can I get some of what you are smoking? Wink

If they keep anything back, it would be to fulfill warranty claims / service contracts with .govs.

They are blowing out uppers to get rid of inventory, recoup capital, and make room for the stuff they need to make 73K SIG716 rifles in a year for India.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by c_zielsdorf:
quote:

Can I get some of what you are smoking? Wink

If they keep anything back, it would be to fulfill warranty claims / service contracts with .govs.

They are blowing out uppers to get rid of inventory, recoup capital, and make room for the stuff they need to make 73K SIG716 rifles in a year for India.

LOL! I hear you, I was just passing along what I heard from Sig.

Disabled combat vet

posted Hide Post
I can just slap these on any standard ar-15 lower?

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
I can just slap these on any standard ar-15 lower?

yes...

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the 516 piston a proprietary design or will Adams piston parts work in it?

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Proprietary. Thanks SIG.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:

Almost certainly proprietary.

Unlike the DI AR-15, there is no industry standard for a piston AR-15.

Similarly, there is no industry standard for an AR-10 -- although there are a few brands that play well with each other.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
If I understand it correctly gen 1 was a LWRC copy and there was something about a lawsuit between the them and Sig. Then gen 2 incorporated enough changes to be different enough, so proprietary.

I jumped on one and grabbed a spare BCG, oprod/piston and gas plug. Figured that should cover the proprietary stuff from what I can see.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:

Interestingly a fellow on another sight stated that he had his running with an Adams carrier and an LWRCI carrier...

Disabled combat vet

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
And too late. The 10” upper is no longer on sale.

Only the 14.5” is on sale now.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Sorta tells ya if they had just made things hit a cheaper price point mebbe they'd sold a hellava lot of them and they wouldn't hafta nuke the model.

It also wouldn't have hurt had they chosen to update and refresh the design with Keymod or the later M-Lok, but by then they were already going down another slippery slope with their even more proprietary MCX.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I picked up a 10" upper while they were on sale.
Just saw the HK 416 uppers for $6K.

Disabled combat vet

posted Hide Post
I still remember when they were announced and said the price point was going to be $999-1199. And then they weren't.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just saw the HK 416 uppers for $6K.

that has nothing to do with this thread. that's an NFA upper that is normally not imported for civilians. And there are some on auction sites for half that. In any case you can get the HK rifle for 2.5K ish.
In any case the good news is that for your money HK is likely to have parts. I'm not defending HK in this commentary, on the rifle side their stuff is too expensive for what it is. Sadly the 516 is now end of life. Might be a great deal, might not depending on how yours does.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Did Sig ever make this upper with anything but quad rails? When I heard about this sale I though about it but I was successfully able to stop the urge lol (and I already own two piston guns, a Colt and a PWS). I think the 516 is pretty good as far as piston guns go. Guys who got in on this will be happy.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
I have the 516 an love it. Other than being so heavy I dont see anything much better. Thinking about adding the carbon fiber rail to lighten it up. Damn good shooter out of the box. Was thinking about getting another one and getting the 14.5 and have a flasher hider pinned an welded. Thanks for the heads up

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3297 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post