SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best muzzle break to quiet a 7.5" barrel
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best muzzle break to quiet a 7.5" barrel Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
As well I do a lot of reading on ballistics and wounding and there is an argument that psychological stimulus ( loud bang and large flash) could play a part in stopping a subject.

Although it’s heresy to even think it and could get one burned at the stake (or at least on the Internet) in some circles by the self-styled wound ballistics priesthood, that’s a question I first asked myself decades ago.

When reviewing the research published by Marshall and Sanow on how specific handgun cartridges and loads varied in their effectiveness at stopping attacks, I noted that the most effective loads also tended to produce the most muzzle blast. One that comes to mind was the Federal 125 grain 357 Magnum Hi-Shok load (and which I still have an ample supply of). Causation or correlation? Who knows? But a similar psychological principle is involved in the use of flashbangs by SWAT teams and military hostage rescue forces like the British SAS that initiated the practice. They make bright flashes of light and loud noise. The disorientation that causes provides enough of a tactical advantage for bangs to be commonly used despite their disadvantages.

Of course, no sensible person would risk seriously advancing such a notion about firearms effectiveness, so I certainly won’t.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Just saw this really cool PDW, ignore the price for the Maxim Defence PDX, PDW...it has a “Hate Brake” linear break.

Pretty cool.

https://www.maximdefense.com/product/hate-brake/

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
As well I do a lot of reading on ballistics and wounding and there is an argument that psychological stimulus ( loud bang and large flash) could play a part in stopping a subject.

Although it’s heresy to even think it and could get one burned at the stake (or at least on the Internet) in some circles by the self-styled wound ballistics priesthood, that’s a question I first asked myself decades ago.

When reviewing the research published by Marshall and Sanow on how specific handgun cartridges and loads varied in their effectiveness at stopping attacks, I noted that the most effective loads also tended to produce the most muzzle blast. One that comes to mind was the Federal 125 grain 357 Magnum Hi-Shok load (and which I still have an ample supply of). Causation or correlation? Who knows? But a similar psychological principle is involved in the use of flashbangs by SWAT teams and military hostage rescue forces like the British SAS that initiated the practice. They make bright flashes of light and loud noise. The disorientation that causes provides enough of a tactical advantage for bangs to be commonly used despite their disadvantages.

Of course, no sensible person would risk seriously advancing such a notion about firearms effectiveness, so I certainly won’t.

I have actually heard your theory, unattributed, in a number of channels when discussing the difference between various calibers, psychological stops, and why the .357 Mag has such a great reputation when it performs little better than a hot 9mm load when you measure it in gel.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Noveske KX3 or KX5 or whatever they call the current iteration.

They were damn lucky the ATF never classified that device as a silencer. It is basically a single chamber silencer but is considered a flash hider by the ATF.

This. It’s basically a 1 baffle suppressor if you take one apart.
I can't find good pics online, but it appears the KX3 and KX5, are just flash cans, like this: https://www.kakindustry.com/kak-industry-flash-can
(But since they bear the Noveske name the KX3 & 5 just cost more)

If so, it's just a cone inside a tube, and nothing like a baffle.

Now, this one:
https://www.kawvalleyprecision...p/kvp-linear-blk.htm
Seems to be more like a "single baffle."

Is Noveske stuff expensive, yes but you’re comparing CM stainless steel to the aluminum construction of the KAK. Does that make it almost four times as expensive? Probably not but I’d rather have steel right there at the exit of all that hot gas.

I did some work with a SOT on testing Aluminum baffles vs Steel on my 10.5" SBR in .223. Doing slow fire with 20 round magazines. The aluminum baffles ate it about 80 rounds in. First 2 baffles disintegrated. I would absolutely NOT put aluminum anything on the muzzle of a SBR or AR Pistol. The pressure and heat generated are to high.

BUT: The testing that they did on a 16" rifle in .223 the aluminum baffles held up fine. They showed some erosion but it was painfully obvious the difference barrel length made. So I'd say you are fine with aluminum on 16"+ barrel.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The testing that they did on a 16" rifle in .223 the aluminum baffles held up fine. They showed some erosion but it was painfully obvious the difference barrel length made. So I'd say you are fine with aluminum on 16"+ barrel.

The aluminum model likely will be OK for the average shooter on a 16" rifle, mainly because the average shooter may only put 1K or 2K rounds down a given AR over the course of their life. For those of us who shoot rifles enough to wear out parts, the steel model will be better.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fritz,

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
The testing that they did on a 16" rifle in .223 the aluminum baffles held up fine. They showed some erosion but it was painfully obvious the difference barrel length made. So I'd say you are fine with aluminum on 16"+ barrel.

The aluminum model likely will be OK for the average shooter on a 16" rifle, mainly because the average shooter may only put 1K or 2K rounds down a given AR over the course of their life. For those of us who shoot rifles enough to wear out parts, the steel model will be better.

For anyone that cares to see what a 10.5" SBR in .223 will do to a aluminum baffle stack.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
For anyone that cares to see what a 10.5" SBR in .223 will do to a aluminum baffle stack.

That's an eye opener. It's safe to state those baffles are no longer in spec.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post