SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anybody familiar with American Defense Mfg. AR’s?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody familiar with American Defense Mfg. AR’s? Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
So the last thing I was in the market for was another AR, but heck...one can always use one more right? Well, a new 12.5” SBR, LEO trade in, American Defense UIC Mod 2 has presented itself for $950 Eek I’m 99% on it and will go inspect it tomorrow. They retail for $1850. Would I be stoopid to pass it up? I suspect yes.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
No first hand knowledge, but a work friend who is as serious as I am about shooting wanted a decent AR. After researching several up-market brands (BCM, LMT, DD, etc.) he went with ADM. He got the basic 14.7 pinned and welded, and in his experience, he is very happy with the money he spent. I didn't ask - because that's rude - but I know it was at least a few hundred north of $1000.

I have handled the rifle, and it does seem very well made, but I have no time on the trigger.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that, Bionic. I’ve been researching for the past couple of hours and they appear to certainly be lesser known but very well made. Billet upper and lower, ambi controls, Criterion barrel, etc. Guess we’ll find out tomorrow! It’d be sweet if a could get them down another $50-75.

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe there is a favorable review from Sage Dynamics on one ADM rifle or another. I had trouble coming around on their price compared to companies like BCM and DD. I'm sure the guns are nice, but the price premium has kept me from looking at them hard. Kinda like Noveske.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
^^. I saw that video, and one from Garand Thumb. Thanks!

I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
There’s a local store that swears by them. He stopped selling DDs and other brands to carry ADM almost exclusively. This store also carries Wilson Combars and other high end guns.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For <$1K it's worth it. I can't see myself spending more than that on one, however.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I played with one the other day but no actual live fire. They have a proprietary lower with some interesting features like a hold open/ battery device. Seemed well made but it would depend on the price. I didnt get a chance to really break it apart and get into its guts.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
For $950 I'd probably grab one. One I handled seemed well made.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ADM has a had a rep for affordable quality optics mounts since I got into ARs back in 09 or so. I haven't seen any of their rifles in stock, but if their mounts are a good indicator they are probably good.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had that same exact model
In 14.5. I sold it for 700.00 so you might could get it for less. I tried for 900.00 and it just collected dust.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
So the last thing I was in the market for was another AR, but heck...one can always use one more right? Well, a new 12.5” SBR, LEO trade in, American Defense UIC Mod 2 has presented itself for $950 Eek I’m 99% on it and will go inspect it tomorrow. They retail for $1850. Would I be stoopid to pass it up? I suspect yes.

Only thing that would put me off is the 1+ year wait for a Form 4 transfer.

Build an SBR yourself with an E-Form 1 and you will have approval in under 2 months, typically.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
It's funny this thread came up.

I've recently been in contact with the senior technical manager at American Defense and told him about this thread. I emailed him a link to this thread and asked if he had any comment to pass along and this is what he said...

The biggest difference between us and everyone else is our rifles are fully ambidextrous, and feature an ambi bolt catch and release lever as well as an ambi magazine release.

They are also feature packed with a Geissele Trigger, Magpul Pro Sights, Criterion Match Grade Barrel and a premium nitride BCG right out of the box. We basically took the standard upgrades people will do over time, and built a complete rifle out of it.

We have had a few different people do reviews recently. We have also been featured in Recoil Magazine several times and Gun World Magazine as well.

Sage Dynamics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8omoD8ph8k

Garand Thumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awZ8DB5p3gk

Four Guys Guns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fHjtEUMIJM

I fount their Recoil article too..
https://www.recoilweb.com/amer...le-lower-132102.html

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No affiliation with seller/dealer.
DSG is good to go.

https://dsgarms.com/trade-ins-dsg-7000-0053

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m an FFL/SOT, no issues there. I’d have it in 3 days if I pull the trigger on a form 3.

[/QUOTE]

Only thing that would put me off is the 1+ year wait for a Form 4 transfer.

Build an SBR yourself with an E-Form 1 and you will have approval in under 2 months, typically.[/QUOTE]