SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shooting Ammo vs. Hunting Ammo for .243, .270 and .300 Win Mag
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Ammo vs. Hunting Ammo for .243, .270 and .300 Win Mag Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I was speaking to a friend last Friday and it appears that I might have a chance to do some pig hunting soon at a cabin he is building in the Central Florida hills. In that vein, I need some advice on readily available quality hunting ammunition.

I have pretty good stocks of cheap ammo for all three guns; Rem Cor-Lokt, Federal Non-typical, Academy's Monarch brand, Winchester Super X, etc. I have 80 and 100 grain for the .243, 130 and 140 grain for the .270 and 150 and 180 grain for the .300. All would be fine for deer, but I'm worried about these cartridges for hog. I want decent penetration, and I don't want the bullet to blow up on contact with shoulder bone or shoulder shield.

I do have some higher end .300 Win Mag (Remington Core Lokt Ultra Bonded) that I picked up at some point, but in all honesty, I probably won't be using the .300 mag, and will likely go with the .243 or .270.

Ranges will likely be modest, so the bullets will be going fast at impact. Should I use what I have, or do I need to invest in some tougher bullets for this activity?

Thanks much.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Choose which gun you’re going to use then go buy a box or 3 of nicer Ammo to see what you like or what shoots best in your rifle.

There’s lots of good stuff out there, trophy copper, trophy bonded bear claws (love those) Nosler partitions, accubonds, Barnes TTSX, Berger VLD....you could go into a sportsman’s warehouse and have dozens of choices.

Personally, I’d take that 300win mag and get some of that red box federal Ammo with the 180g partition or a trophy bonded tip and call it good.

If you take the 270, I’ve had good luck with the 130ttsx on caribou and Lou twin goats, I’d have no issue using that on a pig.

As for the 243....meh never been much of a fan.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
My opinion is shoot what you got. I'd use the .270 in either grain you got, core lokt will be fine. Hit it in the boiler room and game is over. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1139 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somewhat depends on the size of pigs in your neck of the woods. I know guys who hunt hogs in Texas from helicopters, and they use 55 grain FMJ 223 pretty successfully. The larger hogs don't always go down with one shot, however.

If you're going after hogzilla, the 270 or 300 with a quality bullet might be a good idea.
If the hogs are more moderate in size, then the 243 and the ammo you already have should be good.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Hogs here are medium to large, not extra large, or hogzilla.

I've seen 250#+ walking the fields around here.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
As someone not familliar with hog hunting, but understands what 250 pounds can mean, I gotta ask - can they kill you if you screw up your ammo choice?

Might plan according to the answer.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
At close range they will charge and come equipped with tusks that can tear you up good.

posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that 6.8 SPC is a well-respected hog round. Of course being in an AR-15 platform, follow-up shots can be quick. Muzzle energies of 6.8 ammo are generally listed as 1600-1700 foot pounds.

243 ammo is commonly listed at 1800-1900 foot pounds.
270 ammo is commonly listed at 2700-2800 foot pounds.
300WM ammo is commonly listed at 3500-3600 foot pounds.

By comparison, 223 ammo is often listed with muzzle energy of about 1300 foot pounds. But this is for long barrels, and thus most shooters are probably obtaining 1150-1200 foot pounds.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If I am hunting a live animal I want a good round and one I have some history with in terms of accuracy.

Federal Fusion is fairly inexpensive. My experience is it is pretty accurate and will do the job in terms of a humane kill on just about anything if shot placement is good. Of course using enough gun for the animal is important. I think the .243 is sufficient but not overly so, for hogs.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I use Barnes TTSX for 90% of my hunting rifles. Nosler Accubonds and Ballistic Tips for the rest. I dont know that I would buy any given your current ammo will be just fine.

I'll echo the above on the Federal Fusion, it's cheap and very accurate. It's my defense load in my AR10 and was just as accurate as FGMM.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I was speaking to a friend last Friday and it appears that I might have a chance to do some pig hunting soon at a cabin he is building in the Central Florida hills. In that vein, I need some advice on readily available quality hunting ammunition.

I have pretty good stocks of cheap ammo for all three guns; Rem Cor-Lokt, Federal Non-typical, Academy's Monarch brand, Winchester Super X, etc. I have 80 and 100 grain for the .243, 130 and 140 grain for the .270 and 150 and 180 grain for the .300. All would be fine for deer, but I'm worried about these cartridges for hog. I want decent penetration, and I don't want the bullet to blow up on contact with shoulder bone or shoulder shield.

I do have some higher end .300 Win Mag (Remington Core Lokt Ultra Bonded) that I picked up at some point, but in all honesty, I probably won't be using the .300 mag, and will likely go with the .243 or .270.

Ranges will likely be modest, so the bullets will be going fast at impact. Should I use what I have, or do I need to invest in some tougher bullets for this activity?

Thanks much.

Go forth and kill with what you already own. Hogs are just not that tough to kill. I would not hesitate to shoot a 250 lb hog with a .243 with remington core-loks. Stick with 100 gr.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Yellowjacket. As far as I’m concerned each cartridge and bullet mentioned are hunting rounds. They aren’t premium but they are certainly capable of killing a hog.

Might want to put some thought into target angle, especially the lighter or more fragile bullets. Don’t shoot one in the ass expecting complete pass through to the throat, for example. Study hog anatomy a bit, they aren’t deer exactly.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I have done the hog anatomy study thing, so I am comfortable with that, and am committed to taking ethical shots.