SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Would love some advice ... Marlin 1895CB 45 LC sighting options
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would love some advice ... Marlin 1895CB 45 LC sighting options Login/Join 
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted
Man..we love this rifle.

But damned if I can’t get it on target. Shooting a couple of different loads...some cowboy stuff for my ten year old and some higher velocity Rounds as well. Neither one makes enough difference for me to get thing on the bull at 50 yards.

When the rear OEM Marble buckhorn was dropped to the bottom (with factory bead)it still shot a good six-eight inches high. Great groups...just high.

Bought a skinner rear base and peep and a taller front blade according to their matrix. I’m still high if not higher (the taller blade and base and keep just raised my sighting plane.

I dropped the exercise about year ago when life got busy and I got tired of the metrics but I’m interested in getting his thing going again.

Seems like an easy fix...I’m thinking going taller marble front bead and oem buckhorn rear moved to the bottom and just dumping the skinner peep idea as the base makes it too tall in the rear.

Also am thinking of a marble tang peep but concerned it may be clumsy to handle.

Any of you guys have experience with sighting the Marlin 1895 in 45LC?

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
What is your serial number? Is it pre or post 1990? JM stamped?

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
It’s post 1990

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Does it have a screw adjustment on the rear sight as well as the ramp?

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Just a buckhorn ramp

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
Just a buckhorn ramp

Look closely at the buckhorn ramp. Mine all had a set screw that allows you to slide a small part up to adjust the point of impact.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:
Just a buckhorn ramp

Look closely at the buckhorn ramp. Mine all had a set screw that allows you to slide a small part up to adjust the point of impact.

This. I'm pretty sure my Marlin has one as well. To fine tune between the ramp steps. I'll check as soon as I get the kids to nap time.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hksig45
posted Hide Post
Skinner sights have always worked wonders for me on Marlin rifles.

Have you contacted Skinner sights to see if they could make a taller front sight to lower impact?

Posts: 253 | Location: Iowa | Registered: October 11, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:
Just a buckhorn ramp

I’ve got it slid all the way towards the front...which drops the buckhorn all the way to the bottom.

I think I’ll mount a taller marble bead front sight.

I don’t see the skinner working out for me. Tried contacting them for some dialogue at the time on the issue incentives but got no response. The skinner sight base just raises the sighting plane and gives me no possibility to adjust to a lower impact point...that is unless the front sight was REALLY, REALLY tall.