New
Find
Notify
Tools

M-LOk Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Was there a time when M-Lok looked like it would go the way of betamax? In 2014 or so I got a smoking deal on a BCM full upper 16" barrel with M-Lok hand guards and a BCM BCG. I dont remember the Keymod uppers being so cheap at the time.

No. M-lok evolved from the MOE mounting system. At one point, possibly 2014, Magpul discontinued the original MOE handguards and accessories. I remember that there were some really good deals to be had on the old MOE stuff.

Magpul still offers MOE 1913 rails on their website, but their handguards are now all M-lok.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
yeah, he hit a home run.

you are tracking that all he did was copy the vendor's selling points correct?

Doh!
quote:
Both Keymod and M-lok are actually both decent systems, I own both and I found that if you read the mounting instructions and don't use your rifle as a hammer or ladder both work fine for the desired purpose. that said I wouldn't buy another new Keymod rail, I'd go M-lok instead.

Exactly.
I have a mix of older quad rails and Wilson Combat's TRIM rails on my ARs. Both function well enough, and I realize both are on their way out. Barring any unfortunate accident or stupidity on my part, these rails may last my lifetime -- should I choose not to make a change.

I won a Grayboe bolt action stock in competition this year -- the stock comes with 12 M-Lok slots. So...I'm starting my transition to the M-Lok with a precision rifle, not an AR.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
CD228

yes, I am.
yes, I did.

also, thank you for your post.
Be well

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
CD228

yes, I am.
yes, I did.

Be well

Excellent. Just wanted to make sure you had some good info and not just sales hype.

I did like it when you mentioned getting that Allen wrench with a handle. I think I use something similar when I attach rails to my handguard and it makes life a lot easier.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
CD228

yes, I am.
yes, I did.

Be well

Excellent. Just wanted to make sure you had some good info and not just sales hype.

I did like it when you mentioned getting that Allen wrench with a handle. I think I use something similar when I attach rails to my handguard and it makes life a lot easier.

That little wrench has been a lifesaver for me.Your info was over the top . (goot)

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
You don't need access to the back of the rail to mount Keymod either.

As well, you don't have to with M-Lok:

- Tighten down the t-nut(s) to the screw(s) in the M-Lok accessory and orient the nut(s) longitudinally so that they fit into into the desired M-Lok opening(s).

- Pressing down on the accessory, one at a time loosen the screw until you can just feel the t-nut start to spin, then immediately re-tighten. The t-nut will automatically cam itself into place so that the wings are more or less now oriented perpendicular to the M-Lok slot and VIOLA!, the accessory is locked down onto the handguard/stock/whatever at that attachment point.

- Do the same for any additional t-nuts and you're done. Easy as cake, piece of pie.

Caveat: the Magpul t-nuts work consistently, due to the way the 'shaft' of the t-nut is shaped (kinda like a DQ logo). That shape is what keeps the t-nut from overspinning when you re-tighten the screw. Some aftermarket t-nuts try to mimic this but those shafts aren't shaped the same. I suspect that Magpul may have patented their design. Watch out...once Keymod has achieved dodo bird status, those 'official' t-nuts will be going for ten, um, maybe thirty times over what they're now selling for. Wink Razz

M-Lok works. It's smartly engineered by Magpul. That's why they're the 800lb gorilla.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
You don't need access to the back of the rail to mount Keymod either.

As well, you don't have to with M-Lok:

- Tighten down the t-nut(s) to the screw(s) in the M-Lok accessory and orient the nut(s) longitudinally so that they fit into into the desired M-Lok opening(s).

- Pressing down on the accessory, one at a time loosen the screw until you can just feel the t-nut start to spin, then immediately re-tighten. The t-nut will automatically cam itself into place so that the wings are more or less now oriented perpendicular to the M-Lok slot and VIOLA!, the accessory is locked down onto the handguard/stock/whatever at that attachment point.

- Do the same for any additional t-nuts and you're done. Easy as cake, piece of pie.

Caveat: the Magpul t-nuts work consistently, due to the way the 'shaft' of the t-nut is shaped (kinda like a DQ logo). That shape is what keeps the t-nut from overspinning when you re-tighten the screw. Some aftermarket t-nuts try to mimic this but those shafts aren't shaped the same. I suspect that Magpul may have patented their design. Watch out...once Keymod has achieved dodo bird status, those 'official' t-nuts will be going for ten, um, maybe thirty times over what they're now selling for. Wink Razz

M-Lok works. It's smartly engineered by Magpul. That's why they're the 800lb gorilla.

Thanks, but M-Lok's ability to be installed without accessing the back was not being debated, I was simply pointing out that Keymod can do the same thing and that feature doesn't differentiate the two. The info you shared about the Magpul shafts was new to me. I'll have to keep an eye out for that issue.

I actually went back and did a little research and I believe that MAGPUL calls out that feature to differentiate M-lok from the old MAGPUL MOE mounting. You had to remove the handguard and hold a back piece in place IOT install the screws.

Magpul's MLok is a free license and Keymod is open source so anyone can duplicate those components. There is nothing preventing you from making your own t-nuts. It might go the opposite way and folks could just 3D print their T-nuts on demand.

However, your comment did jog my brain. It is possible to incorrectly install a keymod accessory. If you don't seat it properly, pushing it all the way forward, the accessory can come off during normal firing. I actually had this happen to me, which is why I remind folks to read the instructions with the keymod accesories. With M-lok you don't have that issue.

I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heisrizn:
Keymod will ultimately be the HD-DVD to M-Lok's Blu-ray.

Cost to cut keymod is more expensive than M-Lok.

I knew that was true when Noveske, one of the founder’s of KM, started releasing rails in Mlok.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For people who dont wonder or flavor of the month to keep up woth the cool kids, its really irrelevant - mount shit on your rifle and shoot it. As long as it stays put, all good.

I have 3 KMR and 2 MLOK rails. KMR is easier to install but all stay put when needed.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post