SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Questions from an AR beginner.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions from an AR beginner. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
At this point given the facts, history and alternatives I can't imagine recommending an EoTech to anyone, never mind someone who is clearly looking for initial first AR purchasing advise.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
If you are the slightest bit mechanically inclined, I would build it. With YouTube assistance with almost any assembly from the factories that produce them, and with a little tool investment you can build what you want.

I know guys that build their first ARs. Happy as clams.

If you do, you could have a Faxon barrel, and Larue MBT trigger for your target price.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
How about a rifle, and 1000 rounds, and ten Pmags, and a red dot for under your 1k budget?

Upper:

https://palmettostatearmory.co...-set-5165449691.html

Lower:

https://palmettostatearmory.co...k-earth-7779346.html

Ammo and mags:

https://palmettostatearmory.co...5-56x45mm-pmags.html

Red dot:

https://palmettostatearmory.co...ke-awake-hs403b.html

$938 before shipping. Everything listed ships free except the optic.

I have personally used a lot of parts from PSA. If you have any issues, which I do not anticipate, I will help you sort it out.

This rifle is mostly Palmetto guts, no problems shooting steel with a 1-5x optic out to 600 yards. Will it shoot groups the size of a dime at 200 yards? No. Will it be a durable and reliable carbine? Yes.

You will probably want to upgrade the trigger at some point. That is true about all stock AR-15 triggers.

Buy some good quality lube as well. I have become a big fan of the very lightweight grease available from CherryBalmz. Otherwise I save the little bit of motor oil leftover in the jug when I change my oil. Oil the raceways on the bolt carrier, the bearing surface of the bolt where it rides inside the carrier, and lightly oil the rear face of the bolt lugs where they lock into the barrel extension. You can use #1 lithium grease but it can be too heavy in cold weather.

A new rifle and 1000 rounds to properly vet it for under $1k sounds better to me than an untested rifle for about the same money.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
If you are the slightest bit mechanically inclined, I would build it. With YouTube assistance with almost any assembly from the factories that produce them, and with a little tool investment you can build what you want.

I know guys that build their first ARs. Happy as clams.

If you do, you could have a Faxon barrel, and Larue MBT trigger for your target price.

I have built all of mine, but I have all the necessary tools. For a standard carbine there isn't as much advantage to building as there is for a competition or accuracy dedicated rifle.

In his shoes I would recommend he buy at least an assembled upper. It requires no specialized tools to build the rest. I built my first lower with a hammer, a finishing nail, screwdriver, and a pipe wrench.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
Exactly what hrcjon said. Colt 6920. You will NOT regret it,

Meh. They build a reliable carbine. But I wouldn't pay a premium for a 16" that isn't a midlength.

posted Hide Post
I am always lost when someone says that the ultimate purpose of a gun is home defense why anyone would recommend first, optics that have no proven track record in harsh conditions, and second assembly from parts from that are or maybe substandard but inexpensive. Now that's not a knock directly on PSA as I understand they have various quality levels. But until you have some knowledge about AR's picking among the huge selection of options is difficult. I still think the correct response on this is get a factory rifle from a decent vendor, an optic with some track record and enjoy. just sayin'.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
He could buy an $900 6920 and a $600 Aimpoint.

Now his budget is blown, no money for mags or ammo so now he has a rifle and optic that ticks a few boxes of dubious merit but it sits in a box new and unfired until he comes up with the scratch for ammo.

Just my POV.

I have rifles that I have over $3k wrapped up in between fancy parts and high quality optics. I just dont find the 6920 to be worth the scratch.....

Colt bolt and carrier and PSA bolt and carrier are probably all Toolcraft anyway.....

posted Hide Post
OK we disagree in the basics of what's important for a home defense AR. You can have a crap unproven optic for $200 or you can have a completely proven optic for $400. Why on earth would you go for the lesser choice in a home defense situation?
Same for the rest of the discussion. I've no doubt that one can build a completely reliable and useful ar using parts from numerous vendors. I've done dozens of them myself. But I know the difference between a toolcraft bolt that is MPI tested and one that is MPI and HPT and can evaluate that. No new person to AR's is likely to do that. Same for the quality of any other part. I get that maybe a 6920 is not the optimum choice on price, so pick another cheaper vendor with some sense of quality and reliability (sig, ruger, etc.) if price is the ultimate goal. But don't suggest that building one from parts is without risks. You can't believe the number of crappy AR parts I've seen.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I contend that 1000 rounds downrange by the owner of a new rifle trumps one proof load fired in the factory.

I personally haven't used a PSA built rifle. I have used a bunch of their key components. Receivers, barrels, bolts and carriers. Hard use 3-gun with and without suppressors. Frankly the budget PSA has refinements that the vaunted 6920 lacks. Mid-length gas being a big one that, all else being equal, will extend bolt life.

posted Hide Post
OK on bolts, I happen to agree. But you can't convince me on optics.

posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all the great advice.
Right now I'm leaning towards off-the-shelf versus build-my-own.
The LGS/range where I have a membership will order any gun I want and sell it to me at cost plus a small mark-up.
Right now i'm considering the S&W MP15 Sport 2, Optics Ready version.
For sights probaby a SIG Romeo5 and a set of 45° offset BUIS's.
No idea about slings yet. That's the next thing to research.
Thanks again for all the advice.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:
The LGS/range where I have a membership will order any gun I want and sell it to me at cost plus a small mark-up.

Just an FYI, those links I posted are not really a build your own. It is two push pins. Pop it together in 30 seconds and go.

You may be aware of that but being an AR beginner I wasn't sure.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
The SportII Optics ready is a carbine-length gas system and lacks the free float handguard.

Would not be my first choice. It will work fine and will probably be a very solid and reliable carbine but I think you could do much better.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
The SportII Optics ready is a carbine-length gas system and lacks the free float handguard.

Would not be my first choice. It will work fine and will probably be a very solid and reliable carbine but I think you could do much better.

+1
Some reviews show respectable accuracy from their S&W Sport II -- but I wouldn't buy a carbine gas system, a barrel that isn't free floated, and a 1/9 twist barrel.

Ditch the 45 degree offset sights and put that money into a better red dot sight.

Oh yeah, what's with the "I would prefer something WITHOUT the high front sight post" and considering this M&P? It sure looks to me like the carbine has a high front sight post....

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would you need optics on a home defense AR in the first place?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Red dots are WAY faster than irons, especially in low light.

Magnification? Maybe not, but not all optics are magnified.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
This would be a great, classic, first AR15 to learn on. You can LEARN the iron sights first, then take the carry handle off and put an optic on when you area ready.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...lassic-a2-rifle.html

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Because I enjoy seeing my sight.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig229owner
posted Hide Post
Lots of good suggestions so far, so I will not add to the list of suggested rifles, etc...

Just a quick note here. If you intend this AR to be used primarily for home defense, you might consider an AR pistol with some sort of brace.

The reason I mention this is that depending on the layout of your home, a 16” barrel might not be the easiest thing to maneuver thru the house with.

I didn’t really take this into consideration until I went thru my house with a 16” barreled AR. It was not the easiest rifle to clear the house with.

I ended up setting up a pistol with 10.5” barrel and a Sig arm brace. WAY easier to maneuver thru the house with it...

And if you ever consider putting a can on it, that extra 6-7” makes a 16” barreled AR pretty dang long for clearing houses...

Just food for thought. Wink

Posts: 801 | Registered: July 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:

I’m sure the sport would serve you well but like was said earlier, it’s got the tall front sight you wanted to avoid and barrel is not free floated.

Just me but I’d stick with Vortex or Primary Arms for a budget red dot like you’re looking to buy. If you decide a cheap dot isn’t durable enough at some point you can always put it on a rimfire rifle.

I’d rather have the Palmetto State with mid length gas and free float barrel with a Wilson TTU or Geissele SSP trigger in it than the overpriced 6920.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post