SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Windham Weaponry Multi-Caliber Rifle System
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windham Weaponry Multi-Caliber Rifle System Login/Join 
Picture of MrToad
posted
I read about this recently from the Buckeye Firearms Association raffle, the Windham Weaponry Multi-Caliber Rifle System and was curious if anyone here has ever tried these out. It's an interesting concept being able to switch between 5.56,.22, and 9mm Luger.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Re-sighting between each change? Big pass from me.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Re-sighting between each change? Big pass from me.

Depends on how you were going to use it. For Home defense and close range practice, zero to the defensive round (5.56 or 9mm) and cheap practice with the .22. It will be close enough for self-defense work.

I'd also bet an optic on a high quality QD mount would be repeatable. A RDS for the HD round, a magnified optic for something else etc.

Dedicated uppers have a lot going for them though I'll admit, especially at today's prices. I have an LMT MRP, but I don't really use the quick change barrel feature.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I appreciate that people are still doing work to make new products.

But barrel swaps on a platform that is so easy to swap uppers doesn't make sense to me.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
But barrel swaps on a platform that is so easy to swap uppers doesn't make sense to me.

It's actually a more comprehensive system than that as it allows you to adapt the lower magwell at the same time. For example AR, 9mm mag and AK mag etc. etc. with the same lower.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I live close enough to the company, and have been to their range a few times. I played around with the system, but did not shoot it.

My take: This rifle setup is like the P320 of rifles. It is adaptable to many different configurations, using the same serialized component. Where this shines is as a registered receiver for a SBR or trigger pack. As a stand alone package to most shooters, it's overkill and more likely a waste of time and money, as dedicated uppers/lowers will give a better result.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like the MGI Hydra System. It's been around for some time, like 15+ years.

I played with one many moons ago at the Knob Creek Machinegun Shoot, while cool (being able to go to/from 5.56X45mm - 7.62X39mm, 9X19mm, .45ACP, .40 S&W), the price of each conversation was a lot.... more than I would be willing to spend.

But hey, it Windham Weaponry can make it work, and be affordable, more power to them!

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
AR platform is so cheap right now for run of the mill shooters. Seems like a lot of work. When another lower is pretty affordable.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:

It's actually a more comprehensive system than that as it allows you to adapt the lower magwell at the same time. For example AR, 9mm mag and AK mag etc. etc. with the same lower.

Would be nice for those guys who have a RDIAS.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said, that’s the old MGI Hydra. I followed them when they first released around 15 (maybe more) years ago.

The lower is neat for DIAS use or as a post sample MG. The upper is really not out of the proof of concept phase in my opinion. I would personally prefer to put a LMT MRP on the lower instead. Sure it’s not truly QD barrel, but it’s far more elegant than that upper.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post