SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Seeking advice on removing AI muzzle brake
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking advice on removing AI muzzle brake Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
A friend has an older Accuracy International rifle with an odd (to my way of thinking) muzzle brake. The flats are not parallel and therefore it evidently was intended to be turned with some sort of nonstandard wrench. It also does not have a setscrew to hold it on. The one bit of advice we’ve gotten is that heat may be necessary to remove it, but that would probably make using a fabric strap wrench inadvisable at best.

Any information or suggestions?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Not much help, but I'd guess they have some kind of proprietary "spanner wrench". Also, research to make sure they didn't use left hand threads.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Mile High Shooting - Colorado - AI Factory Service Center

This is as much help as I can be.

Folks there are exceptional to work with, very professional. They are also very pro-LE.

They are the Factory Authorized AI Service Center in the USA.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Do you care about preserving the AI brake? If not, a chain wrench should turn it. Smile Alternatively, I would try various sizes of vise grips, which can often be brought to bear in non-parallel configurations. Perhaps line the vise grips (or chain wrench) with a piece of leather, if you want to save it. Another alternative, clamp the muzzle brake in the vise (with leather if necessary), and use a strap wrench or whatever is needed, including heat, to turn the barrel.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Do you care about preserving the AI brake?

Good point. My friend and I were discussing that specific point today and he pointed out that he wouldn’t have any use for it after it was removed. That opens up additional options, but I didn’t think of the ones you suggested, so thanks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember even if you can't use it someone might buy it. Could be enough scratch to cover the cost of a professional removal or atleast pay for some of the new muzzle device.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post