SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Intro to semi-auto shotguns?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intro to semi-auto shotguns? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
Here’s the V3 at Buds online.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...h.php?q=Remington+V3

It starts out at $650 and is eligible for a $100 rebate!

That is a steal of a deal on that gun!

I may get one as that is a great price. I have the VersaMax Tactical and am very impressed with it and in many ways the V3 is even better.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
personally, I'd probably just rent an OU or SxS from the plantation. Probably about $50 a day to shoot a very nice gun (Berettas usually.)

I like this plan -- a relatively inexpensive way to enjoy a shotgun I can't soon afford. Cool

New info says it's a pheasant and quail hunt.

Shoot, I don't even know where to start, with respect to gear....

Talk to your buddies and see if any of them have a spare shotgun you could use. Most bird hunters I know have multiple shotguns. All of the guns mentioned by everyone else would be good choices, but FIT is incredibly important when it comes to bird hunting and you need to shoulder the different brands to see which one fits best. I’d buy a used gun, it will always be worth what you pay for it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Here is another full featured shotgun at a reasonable price...the ability to adjust the stock for a personal fit is a plus...Bud's is also a great online retailer to do business with...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...00+12GA+3+28+MC3+SYN

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a300-outlander/

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ USA 712 that I picked up at Cabelas for 500 bucks when it was on sale. It is actually a Turkish Made sort of knockoff of the Beretta semi's. While the specific details vary from the Beretta it's a gas operated shotgun that uses Beretta Chokes and has proven to be absolutely flawless at 5 Stand, Sporting Clay's, Skeet and Trap.

BTW, a semi on a trap range is a bit of a pain to use because you have to release the bolt for every load cycle. As a result on a sound triggered Trap range you'll see lots of clay's going downrange as soon as you drop the bolt. Because of this I picked up a Browning BPS with a 30 inch barrel.

Now, something you need to check on is the round count you are permitted in the magazine while Bird Hunting. Here in Michigan you aren't allowed to have your magazine capable of holding more that 2 rounds. Since carrying a loaded shotgun with a round in the chamber to a hunting spot is frowned upon for good reason this limit means that many Hunters set up to shoot Doubles. I will also tell you that if you forget to insert that magazine blocking device you do NOT want to take that shotgun into the field. Because here in Michigan that can be grounds for a DNR agent to seize your shotgun. Point is that you may find your old Remy 870 is very suitable for Bird Hunting.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
In my Very limited shotgun experience, I’d slick up the 870 or get an over/under. If you’ve not shot an O/U, I’d try one. I had a long barreled 870 Wingmaster that I shot some trap with and while it was a nice gun, it’s somewhat heavy.

On the other hand, a friend let me shoot his older Stevens or Savage O/U and it was much nicer to carry and swing.

Especially with the mention magazine restrictions, we have to have a plug in the tube, a decent O/U would be the choice.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Okay, it's beginning to sound like my old 870 Express will be all sorts of adequate for the job. That's a good thing for ol' vthoky's wallet.

Thanks, Scooter, for the note on the magazine plug. I've got a couple of those around here somewhere.... Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Good plan. Save money on the shotgun and invest in a few good chokes. Most people tend to over-choke for waterfowl and under-choke for upland birds. If you could have only one choke, I'd probably go to the field with something akin to a Carlson Light Modified .715. That's a good do-all size for the guy who only wants to purchase one. A modified .710 or an improved modified .705 are also acceptable, depending on how close you expect to be and how proficient you are.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
For light weight, great reliability, soft shooter, and good value I would echo what others have said with the Beretta A300. It was my 2nd shotgun and what got me started in trap and 5 Stand. Never missed a beat.

That said, I also love my 870 that I bought from you!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fusternc,

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:
I would echo what others have said with the Beretta A300.

Thank you, Nate. I need to go visit my LGS next week and see what's on hand. The more I look at A300, the more I like it.

Thanks, too, sigcrazy7, for the choke recommendations. I've got a couple of different ones in the shotgun box; I need to make sure of what I actually have.

- - - ETA - - -
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:
That said, I also love my 870 that I bought from you!

That's a good one; I'm glad you're happy with it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Eesh. Dick's (though we're not fans) has the A300 synthetic camo on sale right now for $599. This month has been stupid-expensiive, and I'm still tempted to pick up a new shotgun. Merry Christmas to me? Idunno....

God bless America.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eesh. Dick's (though we're not fans) has the A300 synthetic camo on sale right now for $599. This month has been stupid-expensiive, and I'm still tempted to pick up a new shotgun. Merry Christmas to me? Idunno....

Is that the Dick’s in Roanoke near Valley View? I wouldn’t deal with those jackasses if they were the last gun retailer on earth. As a company that is a bunch of anti-gun pricks, that store is exceptional in being assholes. I probably wouldn’t go to a Dicks Sporting Goods if they were giving guns away.

Long story, but the short version is they threatened to have me arrested once for quoting the law to them. Ok, I did get pissed when they started making things up. I hate that.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
an option, find a clean Ithacia 51, grind on the seller till he lets it go for under $300. Replace all the wear parts you bought at Diamond Gunsmithing.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Is that the Dick’s in Roanoke near Valley View?

I know that store, but mine is a bit further down I-81. The guys there are friendly enough, and didn't give me any crap of any sort. (I still wouldn't buy from Dick's....)

quote:
Originally posted by Scott in NCal:
an option, find a clean Ithaca 51, grind on the seller till he lets it go for under $300.

Hmm... I think Dad's got my brother's Ithaca. I wonder how much grinding they'd tolerate? Wink

- - -

So I dropped by my favorite LGS after work to ask some questions. The owner there always treats me well, and I fully trust him. His inventory is a little slim right now, but as we talked he suggested Browning and advised me away from Mossberg. And then he reached into the rack and pulled out a KJ-vintage 11-87 Premier on consignment. (Thank you again for the date code chart, sigcrazy7!) It was well-kept and well-priced, and I can swap choke tubes. He's going to put a new seal in it for me. --> I'll go pick it up on Thursday. Cool

God bless America.

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
If you’re going to look at the Beretta A300 you might as well look at the Turkish Weatherby SA-08. It’s a better value and probably a better gun. The A-300 is cobbled together using parts from the cheapest suppliers Beretta can contract with in order to compete in the budget minded market. No thanks.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Unless your 870 is a riot gun, there is nothing wrong with it. Use it. They are fine guns.

But for cheap, I'd look for a used 1100 or 1187. There are jillions of them, and they can be had inexpensively. I have an old 1100 in 20 gauge with a fixed skeet choke barrel, and it is pure pleasure to shoot.

Some quail shooters are snobby, but you won't overcome that snobbiness unless you show up with a double shotgun. Don't worry about them anyway.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:

So I dropped by my favorite LGS after work to ask some questions. The owner there always treats me well, and I fully trust him. His inventory is a little slim right now, but as we talked he suggested Browning and advised me away from Mossberg. And then he reached into the rack and pulled out a KJ-vintage 11-87 Premier on consignment. (Thank you again for the date code chart, sigcrazy7!) It was well-kept and well-priced, and I can swap choke tubes. He's going to put a new seal in it for me. --> I'll go pick it up on Thursday. Cool

The 11-87 will serve you well. I've owned mine for nearly 25 years and have killed doves, pheasant, turkeys, and deer with it. I have been seeing a number of them on local classifieds in the $450 range and almost bought another for my sons in about 6 or 8 years. But my Dad also has my Papa's 11-87 which will one day be mine, as well.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did well and the 1187 will work well for what you want to do. Keep an eye on the tightness of the choke tubes, sometimes they like to back out a little after firing a bunch of rounds. People say they won't cycle with very light loads, personally I've never seen it. What length barrel does it have? Barrels are pretty cheap for them if you want to get other barrels.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Unless your 870 is a riot gun, there is nothing wrong with it. Use it. They are fine guns.

(snip)

Some quail shooters are snobby, but you won't overcome that snobbiness unless you show up with a double shotgun. Don't worry about them anyway.

Thanks, jhe. I love my 870 (Express).
I've shot with snobs before, and I'll have to admit I thought it was pretty funny taking my 870 to the sporting clays range at The Greenbrier. My host showed up in a Mercedes with a Benelli; I rolled in with a Nissan and a Remington. We had a great time. Cool

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
What length barrel does it have?

30"

God bless America.