SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Suggest me a rifle .... (Sharps or Rolling Block or High Wall)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggest me a rifle .... (Sharps or Rolling Block or High Wall) Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Seems like the work gods have seen fit to make me retire (medically) in the near future....

When my little one was born (the one the doctors said we couldn't have), Mrs. Mike got me an M1A like I had in the service.

so this has started a thing of getting a nice rifle/pistol at a life changing event....

I've been looking at a Rolling block in 357...
(I regret selling my Ruger No.1 in 45-70)

and I've been tinkering of selling a few non- used rifles to fund this new purchase....

Anyone have a rolling block or Sharps that could give me some pros and con

I'm thinking 357 that "could" be reamed out to 357 maximum might be nice....

Or I'd entertain a 38-55. But I think 357 MAX would be cool

Learn me o great forum....OOHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I have both, a Sharps and rolling block. Both in .45-70. I guess some of it depends on how you plan to shoot it. If most of your shooting will be off a bench, then the rolling block will be easier to deal with. Both are fun to shoot, (as well as my trap doors). The caliber decision is yours to make. Personal preference and all.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Cimarron Firearms. Very cool High Wall repros in a lot of different models.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Having owned Italian made ones and American made ones, I can say the Italians just don't compare. When they were cheap, sure. They're not cheap anymore.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the High Wall rifle best in that type. C. Sharps makes a nice one.

Winchester still makes some Low wall rifles, too, and High Walls from time to time.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I sent you an email.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^Rolan that's just not even fair.....

Beautiful rifle though...

my LGS alleges he has a Sharpes and he is gonna call me when he drags it out of one of his safes....

I like the sharpes, I like it a lot

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Not exactly what you're talking about but I've been tempted by the Browning B78 listed recently on a local classified.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader....410588/#post-7068697

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I also have both but prefer the Sharps over the Rolling block. But I have a Ruger No 1 in 45/70 I like a lot as well.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Not exactly what you're talking about but I've been tempted by the Browning B78 listed recently on a local classified.

FWIW, the 1885 has simpler lockwork.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Maybe so, but the 1776 B78 has some of the best walnut I've seen on production rifles. And I've not seen reports of the B78 wearing out. The only part I don't like is the steel recoil absorbing butt plate. But that's only on the 45-70.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

That's saying something, considering this is my RB in .43 Spanish broken down:

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Oh, if I could find a cheap rolling block action in good enough shape to handle modern centerfire cartidges. Apparently the batch Remington made a few years ago suck.

But yeah, the rolling block wins the simplicity title hands down.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Different tastes for different folks. I've owned three rolling blocks, two original and one Pedersoli. I sold all of them, but I sold the first two to finance my Shiloh Sharps. It's a beautiful gun and a work of art. But you know what, in the long run I regret it. I really love and miss the rolling blocks and I think I like the rollers better.

I like single shots, I've also a few Martinis, a Hepburn, a couple No.1's, a TCR, and SSI. A buddy was supposed to sell me his High Wall when me moved it but forgot me. Frown Not the biggest High Wall fan, but still. Wink

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely nothing bad to say about my Shiloh Sharps. As cas says, it is a beautiful gun and a work of art, and I love it. Shooting it is probably the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post