SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Current State of Metric FAL Magazines?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current State of Metric FAL Magazines? Login/Join 
posted
Most of what I can find on the web is old intel. Are current DSA mags good to go? What about Thermold? I'd like to stay with metal, but I'm willing to branch out if that's the most reliable.

Thanks,
Herk

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Your best bet is to go with mil surplus steel mags. DSA mags are hit or miss quality and function wise. Lots of mil surplus mags for sale over on the FAL files forum. Of course you could also put a WTB post here in our Classifieds. Lots of FAL lovers on SIGforum.

I’ve had great luck with older Belgian and Israeli metric mags.

I’ve never tried Thermold mags and can’t comment on them.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
While the metrics and inch run well, thermolds and moss mags are also go to go, although some guns require some 'fitting', gotta love them files. Average price for many is about $10 now. On occasion you can find them for less.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use surplus exclusively and haven't had a problem. Some of the surplus outlets are starting to have them in stock again. I would stick to those over anything else.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I used exclusively surplus mags in my FAL.

If you keep an eye on the classifieds sections of various gun forums, you can pick up nice surplus mags for reasonable prices.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only surplus FAL mags here. Never had any trouble with them.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never had a thermold that ran. I use the surplus ones.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post