SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Time to rebuild the range
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to rebuild the range Login/Join 
posted
When I first moved here I had an 8 foot wide 50 yd range and a 4 ft wide 100yd range. We logged the following year and I lost most of my backstop, leaving me with just a small backstop. Well, I started reconstruction.

I lost some yardage because the old 100yd backstop is now in the middle of a swamp. The new range is 200ft/66yds from my normal shooting spot in my airconditioned closet.

I still have the ability to set up a separate shooting station at 100yds outside. Along with a nice station at 25yds.

The base of the berm is 4ft wide oak logs, piled with old logging debris. I needed a base to keep the dirt from sinking right away into the mud pit behind it. As my effort last spring did. As you can see I had to sacrifice a few logging decks just to keep my tractor from becoming a submarine.

As it sits now, it is about 8 ft high. I am going to tamp down the top and add a few more bucket loads of fill dirt to it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
How are you going to get the deer to stand in front of the berm and shouldn't the tree stand be farther away? Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
How are you going to get the deer to stand in front of the berm and shouldn't the tree stand be farther away? Big Grin

Hes planting Corn and apples too Smile

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice kubota, that will help the project move along

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool.
I am in the process of building a range as well.
First part will be a pistol range that will go out 25 yards.
At some point I will build a dedicated 200 yard lane for rifles, but pistol range is first.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heh, Sorry for not updating this over the last week or so.

Here is a montage of the build process.

Putting up the stands.

That summed up my hanging plates. Now for the stationary plates. I also added all the little plinking 22 and air rifle targets.

On the far left you can see an area that needed more dirt. I have been building it up little by little. I am hoping to finish making it as high at the rest of the berm tomorrow.

This is what was in my swining gopher. Mostly 30 cal and 357 caliber pellets for my air rifles.

The Gopher would still not sit up right. I weighed the nose, Seen here cut off, and it was well over 1lb. With the nose job, it sits up for the most part.

Testing out the plates today. I hit this one with a cz 527 in 7.62x39 at 100yds. It got stuck here.

This is 3/8's ar500 plate. the big divit is 308 on a weld used to hang the plate. the next biggest sets of divits are the same 308 just not on the weld. the tiny dip at the top two spots are from 7.62x39.

I have had quite a few local guys tell me welded ar500 is just as strong as water jetted. Bullshit.

Here is the range tonite. I added a few more stationary plates (the ones with the welded hangers). I also added a few thin strips for hanging paper targets. On the far left you can see the berm I have been building up. At the top it is 18"s wide. when finished it should be 2ft at the top. Tomorrow i need to dig around the post and so it will not rott.

I shot mostly 250 rounds of 22lr, about 30 rounds of 7.62x39 and 20 rounds of 308. Most of this is from the 7.62x39 and 22lr.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Nice range. What kind of airguns do you shoot?

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daystate air ranger in 22 cal, daystate wolverine in 30 cal, and rapid air hmx1000 in 357 cal

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

posted Hide Post
On my 200 yard range I took a somewhat different approach. I took what basically amounted to 4' pulp logs, and cribbed them into a square, much the same as building a windowless, door-less log cabin. I then filled it with sand. The advantage was that I required less fill, and it stayed firmly in place, up to the top which is 5' high. I can replace any of the logs in front if they get too chewed up from the bullets.

Posts: 71 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by provident:
On my 200 yard range I took a somewhat different approach. I took what basically amounted to 4' pulp logs, and cribbed them into a square, much the same as building a windowless, door-less log cabin. I then filled it with sand. The advantage was that I required less fill, and it stayed firmly in place, up to the top which is 5' high. I can replace any of the logs in front if they get too chewed up from the bullets.

The original backstop prior to this area being logged was about 8ft high and 4-5 feet wide of old mulch and plant preventive cloth. The loggers use 90% of it to help dig out there skidder from the mud soup it created.

It sits the balance of 24 yards behind this pile. I found it was not really wide enough for my liking, which is why i went this route.

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Can I ask what is behind your range? I see some trees but how how much distance to possible human usage?

Berm looks to much to low but that might just be me.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My property goes back from there another 120 yds. The berm is 1/3rd the way down into a shallow ravine. The bottom of the ravine is another 30 ft down on the firing line side. On the back of my property side, it rises another 60ft above the top of the berm. The images ate taken looking down from the shooting position/uphill from the berm.

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That is nice setup.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post