SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which are the best low profile earmuffs for rifle and shotgun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which are the best low profile earmuffs for rifle and shotgun? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
My Leight Impact Sports finally died.

Which currently available low profile earmuffs, passive or electronic give the best fit over glasses and the best sound reduction?

BTW, I always double up with foam plugs underneath.

Posts: 15882 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I use an MSA Sordin set similar to this.

They are pricy as compared to countless others, but I am completely satisfied with them both for noise reduction and how they work with long guns.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I always doubled up on ear pro and I’ve never found muffs that worked with an M16 or a Rem870....

So I just use custom ear-pro that’s silicone and blocks 35~ db....I use a suppressor on all my rifles now due to my hearing loss accrued over 20 years of military service and teaching firearms.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also use and would second sigfreund on the MSA Sordin as quite good. I double as well always.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
MSA sordin...I have the behind the neck version....very nice

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Are the Sordins stereo; can you tell the direction sound is coming from?

Posts: 15882 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Are the Sordins stereo; can you tell the direction sound is coming from?

Yes.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I have Howard Leight with the Noisefighter replacement ear muffs with glasses cut. I like them a lot, very comfortable with both rifle and shotgun, and that option is tons cheaper than the Sordins, especially if you are going to double up anyway, which I also do due to tinnitus.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1950 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post