SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "Marines enhance current breaching capabilities"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Marines enhance current breaching capabilities" Login/Join 
posted
https://www.marinecorpstimes.c...eaching-capabilities

The link has a photo of a shotgun with a device resembling a flash suppressor.

Marines enhance current breaching capabilities

By: Mackenzie Wolf, March 13, 2017

The Marine Corps is fielding the Military Enhancement Kit which gives Marines the tactical advantage by transforming current M500A2 pump-action shotguns into a more compact and versatile weapon, according to the Marine Corps Systems Command. For Marines on a breaching mission, the shotgun is a necessary tool used to breach enemy-held buildings using a minimal amount of force.

The MEK is a ballistic breaching tool — Marines use them to safely shoot locks off doors, providing them entry with minimal use of force. The MEK is designed to augment the M500A2 pump-action shotguns currently used by Marine reconnaissance, security forces, military police, explosive ordnance disposal and special operations units. The MEK has 3 interchangeable buttstock options along with a shorter, vented barrel making it less cumbersome than the standard pump-action shotgun.

“When you’re breaching or conducting methods of entry, having the ability to secure the weapon on your body without it becoming cumbersome is important,” said Gunnery Sgt. Michael Flor, ballistic breaching course chief and senior instructor at the Methods of Entry School. “The kit allows the weapon to be tailored to the tactical user at the user level.”

The use of the MEK also has a financial advantage for the Marine Corps. “By using the MEK with currently-fielded M500A2 shotguns, the Marine Corps only had to buy the kits,” said Maj. Paul Gillikin, Special Purpose Weapons team lead in MCSC’s Infantry Weapons Systems.

The MEK is currently being distributed to select Marine Corps units.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Just a standard stand-off device for a breeching shotgun. Though they are evil looking things with teeth.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't that rail be kind of hard on your racking hand, on a 12ga?

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Looks nearly exactly like my Mossberg Flex, outfitted with the extendable stock, railed forend, and breacher barrel. I have mine in the same set-up for my home-defense weapon. Their tube is longer and looks more 590-ish and the rail is a bit different, but yeah.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Wasn't Master Key a brand of breacher for the shotgun? Or was that just someones clever name for it?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Wasn't Master Key a brand of breacher for the shotgun? Or was that just someones clever name for it?

KAC used to sell a cut down M870 that hung under the barrel on an M16/M4. I don't think they still sell it.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:

KAC used to sell a cut down M870 that hung under the barrel on an M16/M4. I don't think they still sell it.

Yeah, we had them in 2/75 back in the 90's. 12" 870 mounted under an M4-ish (pre-M4) carbine. We also had them stand-alone, some preferred them on a bungee cord, grab it, breach, then it snaps back out of the way.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:

Yep. Here's the Knight's Armament "Masterkey":

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Wouldn't that rail be kind of hard on your racking hand, on a 12ga?

Yes indeedy! I have a pic rail fore end that I TOOK OFF my 870. I suppose you could put rail covers on it and it would be fine. Why bother when Magpul make s a nice fore grip for the 870.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post