SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    When people say match grade rifle ammo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When people say match grade rifle ammo Login/Join 
posted
What are the accepted parameters for what actually makes them "match" quality ? What is expected of "match" grade ammo? Is all manufactured "match"ammo consistent to the others ? Can pretty much anyone call their ammo " match" ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
What are the accepted parameters for what actually makes them "match" quality ? What is expected of "match" grade ammo? Is all manufactured "match"ammo consistent to the others ? Can pretty much anyone call their ammo " match" ?

1. Accepted by whom?
2. Expected by whom?
3. Of course not
4. Yes

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Accepted by whom?
2. Expected by whom?
. The people that are purchasing the ammo.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, there is no standard. It is a marketing tool to differentiate some degree of extra care in manufacture. That varies from significant quality control measures to cosmetic. Of course, the internet standard is ammo that can produce "one hole groups all day long (if I do my part)"

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The implication, obviously, is it is the kind of stuff you would want to shoot when accuracy counts. There is no standard. At least not a universally accepted one. It's like saying something is "pro grade" or "duty grade" or something - it means whatever the guy selling and the guy buying decided it means.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
So is “match grade” above or below “tactical”?

In reality - I’ve found differences between brands. When Federal makes their Gold Medal Match, they apparently take more care in bullet to bullet weight variation and other quality metrics, case wall thickness, powder charge, primer, etc. As demonstrated by FGMM actually being a “match grade” standard of comparison for factory ammo.

PriviPartizan “match grade” may take more care, but the results are not the same.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I think that 'Match Grade' means not made in China.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
I think that 'Match Grade' means not made in China.

We don't get ammo from China. Chinese ammunition and firearms (with the exception of certain shotguns) are specifically banned from import. Have been since the early/mid 1990s.

That's why we no longer have widely available cheap Chinese SKSs and AKs, cases of cheap Chinese ammo, and similar, like there was back in the 1980s and early 1990s.

Whereas Canada still does quite a bit of gun business with China, and they are flooded with inexpensive Chinese ammo and firearms, including clones of Western guns like 1911s, P226/P228s, MP5s, AR15s, and M14s, as well as cool uncommon stuff like Type 97s and Type 81s.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was shooting service rifle, “match ammo” was marked that way from Lake City...then in the civilian world it was a Federal Gold Match. And everything else used FGM as the standard. (FGM uses Sierra bullets)

I make my own 5.56 and I make it as accurate as I can. I have it dialed in for my rifle. And if I shoot it in an AR it does not shoot as well as out of the bolt gun...might have something to do with the AR missing eight inches of barrel...

All the brass is one lot, all trimmed the same, crimp removed, annealed,full length sized with a bushing die-no expander , each powder throw is measured, and premium bullets.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Can pretty much anyone call their ammo " match" ?

As already stated, yes, they can.

Ultimately, to use one of Jeff Cooper’s expressions, “The proof of the pudding is in the eating.” The user will determine for himself whether a type of ammunition is precise enough to satisfy his own standards, including for use in shooting matches.

If something is called “match” by a major American or Western European manufacturer, I will usually assume that it’s made to higher quality standards than their nonlabelled, less expensive lines, but otherwise I treat the term like any other adjective that advertising uses to convince me to buy the product.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One semi-useful distinction with "Match" ammo is that it will be loaded with bullets designed to be accurate and NOT with controlled expansion bullets designed for hunting.

Of course there are thousands of game animals harvested every year with match bullets and some will even swear that Sierra Matchkings or Lapua Scenars are the best game bullets ever but that's certainly not the consensus. :-)

Most people shoot Match bullets at targets and Hunting bullets at live game..........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that "Match" ammunition is made with greater care of higher quality components than "service" "or "target" ammo.

But "match grade barrel" in a gun advertisement is pure fluff. I say "Match Grade" doesn't guarantee "match WINNING grade."

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
One semi-useful distinction with "Match" ammo is that it will be loaded with bullets designed to be accurate and NOT with controlled expansion bullets designed for hunting.

That’s a good point that is true.

What is becoming much more common these days, though, is that some “match” ammunition, especially many Hornady loads, is loaded with polymer-tipped bullets that also expand readily. In that regard they are unlike the more traditional “open tip” bullets à la the Sierra MatchKing line that were long the standard. The ones I’m familiar with wouldn’t meet the “controlled” expansion requirement of bullets that are often preferred for hunting, especially large game, but expand they do.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Mostly made of tight consistent specification that have demonstrated a high level of performance in a particular caliber.

A step UP from Match Grade is hand loaded or manufactured for a specific weapon.
Again the consistency of manufacturer is important as it reduces deviation from shot to shot.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:

That’s a good point that is true.

What is becoming much more common these days, though, is that some “match” ammunition, especially many Hornady loads, is loaded with polymer-tipped bullets that also expand readily. In that regard they are unlike the more traditional “open tip” bullets à la the Sierra MatchKing line that were long the standard. The ones I’m familiar with wouldn’t meet the “controlled” expansion requirement of bullets that are often preferred for hunting, especially large game, but expand they do.

I think that's an accurate statement.

I've shot a number of whitetail deer with 6.5mm 140gr Hornady A-MAX bullets, which are match bullets, but have a polymer tip and a thin jacket (so, more-or-less, constructed like varmint bullets rather than like traditional match bullets or medium game bullets).

They work fine on whitetail deer but they wouldn't be my first choice for something like elk.

There are now some bullets that really blur the line between hunting and match bullets, like Berger's hunting VLD and Hornady's ELD-X.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
"Match grade" is sales talk, for the most part.

From some, it may mean something, but it is hard to know what. Perhaps they use a better bullet, with more consistent weights, or manufacturing machinery that more precisely measures powder, or something - but honestly, who knows?

It may mean it isn't hunting ammo, so the bullet isn't built for expansion, but not much else.

For other makers, it may mean very little.

Eley, the makers of really good .22 rimfire ammo, have a Match offering, but it isn't even their best ammo, which they call Tenex. Eley's Match rimfire ammo is their second best ammo.

There are certainly no standards.

You have to test it in your gun - see how it works and how consistent it is. Maybe match ammo is a little better, but I think that is about all you can say.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They still make it at Lake City:

https://www.targetsportsusa.co...p-m118lr-p-3393.aspx

The lot number "LC-19E..." indicates they began production of the lot in May 2019.

https://www.jmc.army.mil/Insta...ons.aspx?id=LakeCity

This Sep 2013 article suggests the original M118 is no longer in use:
https://www.americanrifleman.o...tnam-to-afghanistan/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Light mayonnaise. Sales marketing nonsense. Individual manufacturers may/may not make it to a higher quality but certainly no industry standard. Rem Golden’s could say match grade on the side. Who would you complain to?

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
When I was shooting service rifle, “match ammo” was marked that way from Lake City...then in the civilian world it was a Federal Gold Match. And everything else used FGM as the standard. (FGM uses Sierra bullets)

I make my own 5.56 and I make it as accurate as I can. I have it dialed in for my rifle. And if I shoot it in an AR it does not shoot as well as out of the bolt gun...might have something to do with the AR missing eight inches of barrel...

All the brass is one lot, all trimmed the same, crimp removed, annealed,full length sized with a bushing die-no expander , each powder throw is measured, and premium bullets.

ditto,

FGGM was the standard to compare your reloads to,

and generally speaking, Match Ammo is made to a better standard, supposedly, than ball or hunting loads,

as in a 69SMK will weigh 69 grs, not some at 67 and some at 71 , or similar variances,

ditto the brass and powder measurements

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
In my experience, this is match grade ammo:

That's ten (10) shots!

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post