SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What are the best 10/22 upgrades?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are the best 10/22 upgrades? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
What are your most useful, favorite, best upgrades for the 10/22?

Asking for a friend.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
10/22 is still relatively new to me. I'm using it for the dot drill (1 shot per dot, stand up between shots) and for small steel targets at 50 yards.

For me, the best changes from stock
1) Optic: RDS for steel, scope for dots
2) VQ hammer
3) VQ bolt release
4) added a GI sling for Appleseed.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Ruger BX-trigger®.

Very nice improvement for little cost.

Easy install.

Edit to add: Ruger has innovative packaging. You can literally try the trigger pull with every package on the rack. Got mine at BassPro's new brick and mortar store in Daytona Beach.

Yes, I paid MSRP, but I got to try several and pick the best.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trigger and barrel. After that it's levels of refinement.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
On my Ruger 10/22 T.D.:

- Kidd extractor $11
- Kidd auto bolt release $11
- Kidd bolt buffer $6
- Kidd "Trigger Job" kit $105

I also have a complete Kidd 10/22 rifle.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:

Um...

You do realize that I was asking for more information than "upgrade the trigger and barrel," right? The question isn't "What needs to be upgraded." Really, if that were the question, objectively the answer is nothing. You don't actually _have_ to do anything to a 10/22. But you sure can.

In case I was unclear, the idea is for people to share what products they have used and would recommend, as optional upgrades to the aforementioned rifle.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At a minimum I'd get the KIDD bolt and either the KIDD trigger pack or Brimstone upgrade. Next I'd swap the iron sights for Tech-Sights or Nodaks - I run a TS front and Nodak rear sight. The rest of the mods can be tackled over time.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Improved trigger. Brinstone, KIDD, VQ or the Ruger BX.

VQ extractor
Auto Bolt release. KIDD, VQ or roll your own

That's the minimum in my book. Of course there are many others.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Ruger BX-trigger®.

Very nice improvement for little cost.

Easy install.

That has certainly been the most cost effective upgrade I've experienced. A lot of improvement for very little investment (shop for sales)

A very useful addition has been an extended mag release. I got the one from Power Custom because I like the way it extends back around the trigger guard...so I can use my middle finger to release it.

An auto bolt release is also convenient. I just filed my factory one down, but buying one isn't too expensive either. I don't think there is much difference between manufacturers, I'd just get whatever Amazon had available

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
VQ Extractor
VQ hammer or full trigger group but honestly it's astonishing how much just the hammer helps.

Beyond those two things it's a solid rifle.

If you want to go full build the options are numerous and the sky is the limit.

It's been a long time since I built my 2 but one is a green mountain barrel and a Fajen stock with full VQ kit and it shoots astonishingly well.

Other than the VQ stuff I honestly don't remember what I used on the other, also a great shooter. It sits in a fiberglass heavy stock.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:

Um...

You do realize that I was asking for more information than "upgrade the trigger and barrel," right? The question isn't "What needs to be upgraded." Really, if that were the question, objectively the answer is nothing. You don't actually _have_ to do anything to a 10/22. But you sure can.

In case I was unclear, the idea is for people to share what products they have used and would recommend, as optional upgrades to the aforementioned rifle.

Um, I only realize what you wrote in the original post. I stand by my original response. You gave no other relevant information on what your "friend" is looking from his upgrades so I gave you back my generic response back on the two best upgrades to improve the accuracy of a 10/22 rifle. So if you want to get pissy with my response try asking a more specific question.
How is this? A Kidd single stage trigger and a Green Mountain Heavy Taper 19" barrel. Works great for me, but may not be exactly what your "friend" is looking for. Still the best two upgrades to a 10/22 are the trigger and barrel.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
VQ target hammer.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Best 10/22 upgrades:
1) DIY auto bolt release. Very easy to do--take trigger assembly apart--bolt release has heart shape notch--remove notch with file or dremel--reassemble--now auto bolt release.
2) Extended mag release--makes mag changes so much easier.
These upgrades are inexpensive and makes using the 10/22 more efficient. Allows for more ammo down range. Next step would be trigger upgrade--but this adds additional expense. BX trigger is simple to install. VQ trigger package has been my standard upgrade.
10/22 is like an AR--you can upgrade everything. Cosmetic to function. Turning a $150 rifle into a $500 rifle-yep, you can do it.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
On my Ruger 10/22 T.D.:

- Kidd extractor $11
- Kidd auto bolt release $11
- Kidd bolt buffer $6

I did these three and they're fantastic upgrades for very minimal cost.

My stock extractor had "softened" and was causing failures. The bolt release adds the great "pull back and release- no futzing" feature, and the buffer gets rid of most of the clacking of the bolt movement.

Kidd was great to deal with as well.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Um, I only realize what you wrote in the original post. I stand by my original response.

A rather rash choice of a hill to die on. The question I asked wasn't regarding accuracy, and by it's nature was a general question. Excepting one key part, the word "your."

No one else seems to have trouble with the idea, some people have managed one sentence replies that answer the question effectively.

Just naming parts of the gun, doesn't help anyone. If you wanted to make a concise reply, you could have mentioned the Kidd Single Stage Trigger, and Green Mountain Heavy Taper barrel right off the bat.

The whole point, is that there is an ocean of options for the 10/22, and one could quite easily spend many times the cost of the gun on upgrades for it. The core point of this thread, is asking people for their personal favorites.

Clearly you have such opinions, it shouldn't be a chore to extract them.

Arc.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I should add that, when adding an optic, you may need something on the stock to raise the line of sight depending on the optic and mount.

I have something that I strap onto the stock but it's not perfect. I think a stock w/ an adjustable riser may be more ideal but I'm not willing to spend the money on a 10/22.

Stating the obvious here. This is also a test of avatar removal Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I've done two different 10/22's recently.
One is for shooting squirrels and groundhogs, so it has a scope.
The second is just a plain old school wooden stock carbine with irons. Both shoot well for their purpose-

Hogue over molded stock
Tactical Solutions fluted barrel
Vortex 2-7x35 scope
Kidd trigger group (complete asmy)
Rubber sleeve over the recoil pin (can't remember who made it)

Factory wood carbine stock, polished to a semi gloss
Butt plate had the edges smoothed (sharp shoulders rounded)
Williams rear peep sight, and matching gold bead front sight.
Volquartsen hammer, Power Custom trigger with overtravel adjustment. Trigger springs, and I polished the proper areas so there was no reset problem when using lighter springs.
Rubber sleeve over recoil pin

You can see both of them in that old thread "Let's see some 10/22 fun"

ETA: I forgot, I did the mod to the bolt release lever

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Best 10/22 upgrades:
1) DIY auto bolt release. Very easy to do--take trigger assembly apart--bolt release has heart shape notch--remove notch with file or dremel--reassemble--now auto bolt release.

I've had a 10/22 for many moons, and for some reason this escaped. It took minutes and it's a world of difference.

Arc.

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Best 10/22 upgrades:

It makes a world of difference, makes the rifle more user friendly

I've had a 10/22 for many moons, and for some reason this escaped. It took minutes and it's a world of difference.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
So far for me the auto bolt release and the Williams Ace in the Hole rail/peep combo.

Either a VQ or Kidd trigger will likely be next for me.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post